Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Thrawn is Back!  (Read 10245 times)

July 16, 2016, 11:37:19 AM

Offline Guderian

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +7/-1
    • View Profile
Thrawn is Back!
« on: July 16, 2016, 11:37:19 AM »
While i was just watching the Live-Stream of Star Wars Celebrations they did show a Trailer from Rebels Season 3.
And What did my eyes gaze upon:
Thrawn!
He is back in Canon and he will get a book in April of 2017.
So what do you think?
(If you have seen the Trailer, or else you will have to wait for when Star Wars put it online)

July 16, 2016, 12:01:03 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Thrawn is Back!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2016, 12:01:03 PM »
Have not seen the trailer, but that is one of the best things I've heard for disneyverse Star Wars.  Now just bring back Pellaeon and Kaine too and I might start LIKING disneyverse.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 16, 2016, 12:30:02 PMReply #2

Offline Guderian

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »

Just saw it: They already posted the Trailer.
Oh btw. Yeah for Dark Phase Trooper!

July 16, 2016, 01:28:17 PMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2016, 01:28:17 PM »
He's getting a new book by Zahn too, it's a nice gesture and step in a good direction. I'm willing to treat it like multiverse theory. I am realistic enough to accept it will never be what I grew up with, but that is why I have ICW and my books. Hopefully this will open the door for more EU characters we love to appear and that in turn will generate more interest in the EU itself.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 01:33:16 PM by Lord Xizer »
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 16, 2016, 09:20:30 PMReply #4

Offline CaptainPogo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • Won't be running into traps today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2016, 09:20:30 PM »
I admit, I like the fact not only is the character canon, but they kept the traits of what made the guy such a favorite (that being a well cultured military badass who is not like other Imperial officers). Like Xizer mentioned, it won't be the same (really, it'll be an impressive stretch to add his forming of the Empire of the Hand on there) but it's good enough. Gives a little confidence that Disney is feeling a lot more open on using bigger parts the EU than just smaller elements of it (like their take on the inquisition). Not much now but it's a good start.

July 17, 2016, 08:56:23 AMReply #5

Offline Mitthrawnuruodo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
Words can't describe how happy I am to see Thrawn in Rebels. I really was not expecting my most favourite character to be re-canonised, and certainly not to appear in Rebels. I know a lot of people are sore about the EU reboot, but honestly, now that we've got a canon Thrawn, I am fine with the source material not being canon - Thrawn was dead in the old EU and all we were left with was an ambiguous suggestion that there might be a clone of him knocking about after Survivor's Quest. We should all be glad that we can now have a whole lot more fresh material with him.

really, it'll be an impressive stretch to add his forming of the Empire of the Hand on there

The First Order are said to be operating in the Unknown Regions, so who knows what the next two films in the new trilogy will bring.

July 17, 2016, 12:53:59 PMReply #6

Offline Meyer

• Grand Moff
  • Approval: +69/-2
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 12:53:59 PM »
It's good to know that characters from EU might have a change of appearing in Disney canon. Just a couple of things I wonder:
1. Why is he a Grand Admiral already?
2. Shouldn't his eyes be completely red?

But who cares, he's back and that is what matters.
I wonder if those Tie Interceptors with red stripes are part of the 181st Fighter Wing.

PS. Nice Destiny's Way reference on the title
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:58:44 PM by Meyer »
I reject your canon and substitute my own!

July 17, 2016, 01:38:40 PMReply #7

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 01:38:40 PM »
2. Shouldn't his eyes be completely red?

For 1, the story isn't the same. We probably don't have the same idea of him beating Zaarin etc. As for 2, different media have always shown similar stuff in different ways in SW, so it's probably just a stylistic thing. If you look through Legends stuff, he alternates between having pupils and not having pupils there, too.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 17, 2016, 02:09:14 PMReply #8

Offline Mitthrawnuruodo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 02:09:14 PM »
I suspect the decision to give him pupils in the animation is so you can tell what he's focusing on.

July 17, 2016, 04:23:27 PMReply #9

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 04:23:27 PM »
Maybe he was made a Grand Admiral much earlier than we previously knew, but then was demoted due to some disastrous miscalculation in a campaign against the Ghost crew.  Later he re-proved his worth and Palpatine secretly made him GA again.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

July 18, 2016, 12:14:10 AMReply #10

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 12:14:10 AM »
For 1, the story isn't the same. We probably don't have the same idea of him beating Zaarin etc. As for 2, different media have always shown similar stuff in different ways in SW, so it's probably just a stylistic thing. If you look through Legends stuff, he alternates between having pupils and not having pupils there, too.

Whch is a shame, I liked Zaarin

July 18, 2016, 12:15:22 AMReply #11

Offline Meyer

• Grand Moff
  • Approval: +69/-2
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 12:15:22 AM »
I suspect the decision to give him pupils in the animation is so you can tell what he's focusing on.

Probably true. Personally I think it's makes him look like he's been drinking too much. Also Vader doesn't have pupils but you still know who he is talking to.
I reject your canon and substitute my own!

July 18, 2016, 06:16:14 AMReply #12

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 06:16:14 AM »
While I don't think they are likely to go with Thrawn having lost and regained the position, it is consistent with the original Thrawn trilogy - in The Last Command, Thrawn tells C'Baoth that he refused direct orders from Palpatine four times, and that the first time Palps gave his command to someone else which resulted in the command's destruction.  This could be interpreted as Thrawn being demoted when he refused the orders, and then being promoted back to Grand Admiral after the replacement failed, either immediately or later once he had sufficiently made amends to Palpatine.

That said, I tend to think that Grand Admiral isn't the kind of position that one survives demotion from, even if you're Thrawn, so my guess and preference is that they're changing the backstory from the one we got in TIE Fighter.

July 18, 2016, 08:40:18 AMReply #13

Offline Mitthrawnuruodo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2016, 08:40:18 AM »
Probably true. Personally I think it's makes him look like he's been drinking too much. Also Vader doesn't have pupils but you still know who he is talking to.

That's true because Vader's character trait is that he has a menacing presence - he stands over people and talks down to them. With Thrawn, it's his intense analysis, and we're likely to see plenty shots of him studying art thoroughly - which is conveyed nicely with pupils moving around.

July 18, 2016, 12:48:32 PMReply #14

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 12:48:32 PM »
Yeah, I totally expect Thrawn's story to be largely re-written in the new canon. I was just throwing out a possibility for where (as yet) it may not contradict Legends.

That said, I tend to think that Grand Admiral isn't the kind of position that one survives demotion from, even if you're Thrawn
That's quite true, but if the demotion was followed immediately by events which validated Thrawn's disobedience that might be enough for a stay of execution.  It might also explain why the second promotion (as I'm going to deem it in my head-canon for now) was kept such a secret - not because Thrawn is non-human but because it showed the Emperor to be fallible.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

July 18, 2016, 04:14:29 PMReply #15

Offline Jesse220

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
I'm Glad they put Thrawn  in the Canon Universe. Now let's hope they'll add some Clawcraft in the Canon universe.

July 18, 2016, 05:01:08 PMReply #16

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
It will be interesting to see what happens with him. As it stands, while I am sure his story will change his personality will more than likely remain intact. If that is the case (and provided he doesn't die) I can't see him as a supporter of the First Order. In this universe, perhaps the EotH (or something like it) gets formed later by Thrawn due to his discontent with the way the Remnant of the Empire is heading (staying in glory days past, instead of realizing its mistakes and rectifying them).
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

July 18, 2016, 10:28:40 PMReply #17

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 10:28:40 PM »
While I don't think they are likely to go with Thrawn having lost and regained the position, it is consistent with the original Thrawn trilogy - in The Last Command, Thrawn tells C'Baoth that he refused direct orders from Palpatine four times, and that the first time Palps gave his command to someone else which resulted in the command's destruction.  This could be interpreted as Thrawn being demoted when he refused the orders, and then being promoted back to Grand Admiral after the replacement failed, either immediately or later once he had sufficiently made amends to Palpatine.

That said, I tend to think that Grand Admiral isn't the kind of position that one survives demotion from, even if you're Thrawn, so my guess and preference is that they're changing the backstory from the one we got in TIE Fighter.

Well the only real one that got- 'demoted' kind of was Teshik though I don't call the aftermath living...

July 27, 2016, 09:11:20 PMReply #18

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2016, 09:11:20 PM »
Am I the only one that's worried about his involvement in Rebels? Rebels has done nothing but disappointment me with its overly silly/light nature. Doesn't seem like the place for Thrawn to really shine.

Though my friend did tell me that Rebels got more serious/dark after I dropped it so maybe there's hope and maybe I'll give it another chance.

Either way, great news that he's at least getting a place in Disney's fan fiction.

July 28, 2016, 03:32:19 AMReply #19

Offline Guderian

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2016, 03:32:19 AM »
Am I the only one that's worried about his involvement in Rebels? Rebels has done nothing but disappointment me with its overly silly/light nature. Doesn't seem like the place for Thrawn to really shine.

Though my friend did tell me that Rebels got more serious/dark after I dropped it so maybe there's hope and maybe I'll give it another chance.

Either way, great news that he's at least getting a place in Disney's fan fiction.
At what point did you stop watching?
Because they did very well with Vader

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!