Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: MySafeSavings.exe malware. Can anyone help me?  (Read 3847 times)

May 27, 2016, 08:42:14 PM

Offline KommissarReb

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • What Empire? We are the Empire!
    • View Profile
MySafeSavings.exe malware. Can anyone help me?
« on: May 27, 2016, 08:42:14 PM »
Earlier today my brother was downloading maps for Minecraft Demo from what I'll guess is a website arousing suspicion. I just got on my computer and have been dealing with undeletable adware called "mysafesavings.exe". I can't delete or uninstall it because its always running, and every time I try to close it with task manager it immediately starts up again in less than a second. I am using Windows 10.

I have since deleted the Minecraft demo and everything he downloaded, tried changing the permissions of the files in SafeSavings folder in ProgramData by changing the data in its backup file with gibberish, and its still running itself!

Does anyone else have experience with this malware? Does anyone have any clue what I can do to get rid of this cyber-bully from Hell? I'm about to lose it and jump out the window!
In the Soviet Union, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

May 27, 2016, 09:26:50 PMReply #1

Offline derp

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-2
    • View Profile
Re: MySafeSavings.exe malware. Can anyone help me?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 09:26:50 PM »
Download the free version of Malwarebytes but make sure its not from a bad website or you'll just get more malware.
"I am not the Lord Darth Vader--I do not spend my men recklessly. Nor do I take their deaths lightly."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 27, 2016, 09:29:37 PMReply #2

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 09:29:37 PM »
Yeah, I haven't had that happen to me before, but I searched for "mysafesettings.exe remove" and there was a lot of people who have had the same issue. A few different ways are suggested to remove it but I won't advocate any of them having not tested them myself.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 27, 2016, 09:35:55 PMReply #3

Offline derp

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »
Yeah, I haven't had that happen to me before, but I searched for "mysafesettings.exe remove" and there was a lot of people who have had the same issue. A few different ways are suggested to remove it but I won't advocate any of them having not tested them myself.
I've used the free version of Malwarebytes and it works quite well. The free version starts up automatically but you can change that with your system startup.
"I am not the Lord Darth Vader--I do not spend my men recklessly. Nor do I take their deaths lightly."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 28, 2016, 04:13:53 AMReply #4

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:13:53 AM »
Maybe you can shut it down too. First off, I believe it is a Trojan, so you can't shut it down since you have an active connection to an another computer. Pull out your internet cable. (if you have no antivirus download one quickly before that. Or even get a second one in case the first one fails. I recommend Avast)
Press CTRL+ALT+Delete and launch your taskmaster. now that he can't control your computer he can't stop you from shutting it down.
don't shut down in applications but go to the second tab where you see a lot more going on and see how many CPU they eat. try to find one that is used by either an another user than you or eats up more CPU than others and can be that. If you can't find any then try to get it by name.
If you found it, shut it down. I know it is risky since if you shut down a system file you might crash your computer, but if you are careful it won't happen.
Hint: If you shut down everything else first greatly increases your chance to find it(DO NOT STOP YOUR ANTIVIRUS AND FIREWALL!!! THOSE ARE THE ONLY THING KEEPING YOU ALIVE.)
If you could shut the program down successfully you can uninstall it. Make sure to know where it is first and make sure that there is nothing left there after uninstalling. not even folders. if there is any folder left there, delete it, it might contain hidden folders and files and erase everything from your recycle bin too.
After that is done run your antivirus and make a full scan on your computer.
I hope everything will be OK. And don't let your brother browse the internet freely. From what I red he can be a child. activate a parental lock on the computer to keep him and your computer safe. If you are a kid yourself(but from the way you write I would say you are at least 16) then go to your parents and ask them to set up the lock. Also don't give him administrator rights on the computer. Don't let him install things unless you are there to oversee it, so he can't get something bad.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 28, 2016, 03:32:43 PMReply #5

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 03:32:43 PM »
You can also disable it from autolaunching (remove it from the autorun in regedit, remove any shortcuts in the startup folder, etc), reboot, and it shouldn't have started which could allow you to uninstall normally, or at LEAST delete it and then manually uninstall (which is a total PITA, but I've done it whenever Avast decides to go belly up and block all network connections to a pc, which is, as an aside, why I never recommend Avast to anyone).
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 28, 2016, 06:56:42 PMReply #6

Offline KommissarReb

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • What Empire? We are the Empire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 06:56:42 PM »
I think I may have gotten rid of it, but I'm not sure if it was the result of me installing MalwareBytes.

The computer was lagging and I opened Task Manager again try again to stop mysafesavings.exe from running long enough for me to edit the ".exe" to something else.

I think it worked. When I did that it couldn't reactivate itself because I made it an unopenable type of file the trojan couldn't recognize fast enough during the lag. The computer lagging was one of its weapons, but it backfired! I foiled MySafeSavings evil plan!  :laugh:
In the Soviet Union, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

May 31, 2016, 03:22:29 PMReply #7

Offline derp

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 03:22:29 PM »
MalwareBytes found invasive files in My.com or w/e that game hosting program is called. Not surprised really since it's Russian software.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

December 10, 2016, 02:19:51 AMReply #8

Offline Rebekah

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 02:19:51 AM »
I also have the same problem with you. Few days ago, my PC got infected with Mysafesavings malware. I don't know how I get it installed. I check my Control Panel and uninstall any suspicious programs but this malware still appears. Then a computer expert tells me the effective way to quickly get rid of the malware from my computer. Firest, you should reboot your PC in Safe Mode http://support.eset.com/kb2268/?locale=en_US and then follow the manual removal steps in this post http://guides.uufix.com/how-to-remove-my-safe-savings-ads/to remove MySafeSavings malware from your computer. Hope it can work for you.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!