Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Why prequel trilogy is bad?  (Read 3530 times)

May 24, 2016, 06:45:12 AM

Offline Tortique

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-1
    • View Profile
Why prequel trilogy is bad?
« on: May 24, 2016, 06:45:12 AM »
Well, after browsing internet for 7 (or even more) years I found that most star wars fans from western Europe and USA thinks that prequels are bad, some even hate them. And I was asking myself: why?

Back in 2000 I watched my first Star Wars movie. It was Phantom Menace and I liked it. After several months I watched the original trilogy and liked it too. But there is some strange things for me with Star Wars fans around the world. Unlike USA, in post-USSR countries most fans like prequels, and even more, some people consider prequels to be better.

So, the question is stated in subject of topic and it will be interesting for me to know what people think.

Oh, and another little question: why so many people hate midi-chlorians despite other bat things in prequels?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 06:50:59 AM by Tortique »

May 24, 2016, 06:52:29 AMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Why prequel trilogy is bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 06:52:29 AM »
http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star-wars/

These video reviews are about an hour or so each and may not be everyone's sense of humour, but they do a pretty good job.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 24, 2016, 09:43:42 AMReply #2

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 09:43:42 AM »
A Hungarian movie critic said for the Phantom Menace critic:
story-writing has some easy rules. One of them is that if the heroes get into trouble by clumsiness and they have to overcome these problems with hard work is good story-writing. If you come out of a bad situation because of it is cheating, and Jar-Jar breaks this rule so bad that it shatters the viewer's sense of reality.
This is why the Phantom Menace is hated by most people, and though in the following movies Jar-Jar had less and less appearances(luckily) it is still unbelievable that he could get that far.
Oh, and he is the sole cause for the empire to be born...
Also though George Lucas himself said that "Special Effects are just tools to tell a great story" by the prequel trilogy he threw all this away making some scenes comically funny because of bad CGI.
Many plot-holes comes from the prequel trilogy, not to mention it destroyes for newer viewer the BIGGEST TWIST EVER, that Darth Vader is Luke's father.
Another problem in my opinion is that other than Palpatine, all the other villains are underdeveloped. If we don't count just the movies(since when they came out there was no Clone Wars series) all we knew about Dooku is that he is a sith and therefore an enemy. We had no idea of his motives, why he did what and what he was representing. And grievous was a droid who could caught a cold somehow.(he most possibly downloaded a virus lol :D)
Other than that many things didn't made sense, there were too many cheesy dialogue between Padme and Anakin and their whole romance was not reconcilable with their other character traits.
Also there are lots of talks between characters about tales and stories which sound MUCH better than the story we actually watching. Like Palpatine's rise as a Sith, the events in the clone wars like when obi mentions Kato-Neimodia
that thing on kato-neimodia. It doesn't count
WHAT HAPPENED THERE? HOW DID ANAKIN SAVED HIM THERE? heck if I know, never answered.

An another problem is that you should feel sorry for Anakin in the end, being consumed by the dark side, his wife died, he has nobody left... except...
Obi-wan's disappointment in him felt much sadder and painful for me.
And there are many many maaaany other reasons I think the prequels are MUCH worse than the prequels.
Oh, and this what a bunch of nerds made as a message for J.J. before the Force Awakens came out:
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 24, 2016, 11:33:51 AMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »
I feel they are largely given too much hate. Because people are simple minded really. Most wanted the Old Trilogy so naturally nothing would match up to that legend but I feel the prequels got better as they went. Personally i think RotS was fantastic. Each had their moments and did a good job of showing the galaxy at large as well as introducing political concerns, intrigue and holy crap the awesome Palpatine reenacting the ending to the Godfather on the Jedi Order.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 24, 2016, 12:49:06 PMReply #4

Offline derp

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »
Oh, and another little question: why so many people hate midi-chlorians despite other bat things in prequels?
The Force was mystical before this was brought up.
"I am not the Lord Darth Vader--I do not spend my men recklessly. Nor do I take their deaths lightly."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2016, 01:51:19 PMReply #5

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:51:19 PM »
The prequals as a WHOLE weren't awful.  Episode 1, however, was one of the worst written and directed big-budget movies I've seen, with HORRIBLE casting as well.  It was so utterly bad that it makes the prequals less popular as a whole than they'd other be.  Episode II & III weren't that bad.  They weren't AMAZING, but they weren't bad.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 24, 2016, 05:00:22 PMReply #6

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:00:22 PM »
The prequals as a WHOLE weren't awful.  Episode 1, however, was one of the worst written and directed big-budget movies I've seen, with HORRIBLE casting as well.  It was so utterly bad that it makes the prequals less popular as a whole than they'd other be.  Episode II & III weren't that bad.  They weren't AMAZING, but they weren't bad.

My feeling exactly. And I mean when you actually look at the original trilogy without the nostalgia-colored glasses they aren't that great either. I once heard it said that Star Wars is 1 great movie (ESB), 1 terrible movie (TPM), and 4 mediocre movies, and it really is rather true.

And as far as midichlorians go, they never really bothered me. I think too many people misunderstood and felt that Lucas was saying midichlorians == the Force. Instead, midichlorians == a conduit for the Force. The Force is still the same, midichlorians merely allow sentients to use it.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 24, 2016, 05:27:53 PMReply #7

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 05:27:53 PM »
I could write a thousand word essay here on the problems with midichlorians, but I'll just give you my number one issue with them: they turned Force-powers from being a matter of training, dedication and state of mind to a matter of how many bugs you happened to be born with in your system.  In the OT, we get a couple lines about how the Force is strong in the Skywalker family, so there is a hint of heredity playing a role, but beyond those lines the possibility that ANYONE can be a Jedi is never ruled out, making it an easy dream for kids and fantasy for adults: "If I believe in the Force, I can be a Jedi too."  Now it's "If I believe in the Force, I can be a Jedi too... so long as I've been born with enough midichlorians."

Again, this is FAR from their only problem.  I could go on and on mentioning how they unnecessarily introduce a continuity issue seeing as how Obi-wan and Yoda never mention them to Luke, or how they're a lazy way for the writers to tell the audience that Anakin's super-strong, or how despite their role as an explanation for Force-use, they really don't actually explain anything ("how does the Force work?  Figglesnarfs.  How do figglesnarfs work?  No fucking clue.").

The idea of midichlorians is actually a potentially redeemable one, the problem is that they were used TERRIBLY.  This, quite frankly, is the general issue with the prequels as a whole: they were full of potentially great ideas, done terribly.

May 24, 2016, 06:27:36 PMReply #8

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 06:27:36 PM »
I believe that out of the 2 trilogy's the prequels are worse mainly because A. Episode 5 is one of the best films ever and B. the story of the Prequels is pretty poor (Midichlorians, Jar Jar, poor acting and really how many characters from the prequels can you really say you enjoyed watching). and so this leaves them with a bitter taste in star wars fans mouths.

That said though although the prequels were poor the Clones Wars era of Star Wars Isn't just look at the Animated TV show when that was cancelled after Disney brought the rights to Star wars It made a lot of Fans very angry at Disney.

But It's been nearly 4 years since that deal happened and I have to say it looks pretty bright Episode 7 was a huge hit, Roque One it's following in similar footsteps and Star wars Rebels is a big hit like Star Wars: The Clone Wars was.

So yes the Prequels were poor, The Originals were amazing and the next trilogy is looking bright.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

May 25, 2016, 02:01:49 PMReply #9

Offline Guderian

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2016, 02:01:49 PM »
The interesting thing about the Prequels is:
I did like them at the beginning (when i was like 12), then i started to dislike and hate them (about when i was 20-22)
Now i neither love nor hate them.
They do have some redeeming Qualities in fact.
Like the "Duel of the fates" Music, the entire fight between Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan and Darth Maul.
Darth Maul in general, we did get to see some more planets of the Star Wars Universe.
We saw Corouscant for the first time.
The problem is that they are severly overshadowed by Jar-Jar, Senat-Talks and completly and utterly making nonesense of the timeline.

But i personally think they aren't as bad as some people say.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!