Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Damage types and modifiers?  (Read 2838 times)

October 09, 2015, 09:59:22 PM

Offline Indignation211

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Damage types and modifiers?
« on: October 09, 2015, 09:59:22 PM »
Here's a question i've been meaning to ask for a while now.  Do each of the weapon types have the same damage modifiers regardless of what ship they are fired from (like in Imperial Civil war, all Turbolasers did .75x damage to Captial shields regardless of whether they were fired by a Nebulon-B Frigate or a Star Destroyer) or does each ship have its own modifiers (like in base Sins, where the Beams of Advent Bombers are more effective against Heavy Cruisers than the Beams of Illuminator Vessels, while the Illuminators are better against Light Frigates).

Also are these modifiers going to be documented anywhere? I remember it was only relatively recently that the damage modifiers for Imperial Civil War were published in the manual, and finding out how much damage Proton Torpedoes actually did to Capital shields GREATLY changed how I played that game.

October 09, 2015, 11:31:41 PMReply #1

Offline Eugenes

• Stormtrooper
  • Howdy folks!
    • View Profile
Re: Damage types and modifiers?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:31:41 PM »
Hi 211, I had the same interrogation few times ago.  As i understand it ICW use generic projectiles for all ships, so a turbolaser from a Strike cruiser or Victory Star Destroyer will shoot the same projectile type (Proj_Ship_Turbolaser_Green or red for rebs) and thus use the same  damage type (Damage_Turbolaser).  However, ship weapons can have different fire recharge time. 
The hard way to find the info that you want is to search for it into the .xml files. 
E.g. In corruption\Mods\Imperial_Civil_War_Light\Data\XML you can find Remnant_Space_Units.xml.  In this file the first ship is the lancer_frigate, under the <HardPoints> line you can find the hard points that the ship use. 
Now open HardPoints_IR.xml, into this file search for HP_Lancer_00. There you can see the Fire_Projectile_Type. 
In the Lasers.xml, under the Proj_Ship_Small_Laser_Cannon_Green_Quad there is the Damage_Type. 
And finaly in GameConstants.xml search for Damage_Fighter there you shall find the Holy Grail! :P

I hope that it was usefull and have a nice day.
Time, the devourer of everything.
Huh, where are my donuts?!

October 10, 2015, 12:04:52 AMReply #2

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 12:04:52 AM »
He's asking for Ascendency, not ICW.

Unfortunately, I can't answer the question for the OP.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

October 10, 2015, 05:10:13 AMReply #3

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 05:10:13 AM »
As my limited understanding goes, Sins uses a similar set of global modifiers for damage between [attacking weapon type] and [defending armor type] which can be found in gameplay constants.

So for instance:

Code: [Select]
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:CapitalShip 1.0
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:VeryLight 0.25
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Light 0.75
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Medium 1.0
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Heavy 1.0
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:VeryHeavy 1.0
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Module 0.75
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Pirate 0.90
DamagePercentBonus:CAPITALSHIP:Titan 0.95

What I don't know is whether Ascendancy is following the Imperial Civil War approach with similar weapons having a common damage type no matter what ship houses them (Note that ICW also only used a narrow set of armour types which may not be the case in ASC).  I also don't know whether any of the damage modifier values have been changed from those found in the vanilla game.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:16:44 AM by Slornie »
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

October 24, 2015, 12:43:03 PMReply #4

Offline Indignation211

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 12:43:03 PM »
After digging through the files it looks like Ascendancy is indeed going for a more Imperial Civil War style approach to weapons. So no need to worry about a particular frigate's dps being nerfed against a particular other frigate here.

November 02, 2015, 04:52:06 AMReply #5

Offline Brutoni

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 04:52:06 AM »
After digging through the files it looks like Ascendancy is indeed going for a more Imperial Civil War style approach to weapons. So no need to worry about a particular frigate's dps being nerfed against a particular other frigate here.

Indeed. It will also ensure that like in Imperial Civil war you have a somewhat authentic experience.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!