Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The good the bad and the ugly of the new canon:  (Read 6638 times)

September 17, 2015, 05:02:50 PM

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
The good the bad and the ugly of the new canon:
« on: September 17, 2015, 05:02:50 PM »
Here we go, a huge topic. I'm just going to start with this video here and how Dave Filoni is really ruining my love for star wars.

Yeah it's cool that the clones are in the new show, but first off, the whole thing with the chips in their brains that makes them follow orders makes no sense. They were bred to take orders, so why do they need chips? Continuing on with this, in the video Filoni states how clonetrooper gear was amazing, while Imperial training and equipment is awful (how????) I just don't understand that at all. Apparently clone troopers are infinitely better than their Imperial Stormtrooper counterparts, in equipment, in training, in everything, despite being the ELITE troops of the Empire. This is the stuff I'm trying to ignore but it really kills it.

I saw another clip of the ATTE the clones are in, managing to take out I don't even know how many ATATs by itself. WTF?
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

September 17, 2015, 05:06:04 PMReply #1

• Vice Admiral
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: The good the bad and the ugly of the new canon:
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 05:06:04 PM »

Only thing in defense of these guys is that these three clones are supposed to be really elite, which I can understand. Gregor was a republic commando and the other two were just really good at their jobs. Still though, it really doesn't make much sense. I'm liking a lot of the new canon stuff, and how they're almost mixing the old and new, but Dave Filoni's stuff is total garbage. It could be awesome, but it's not.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

September 17, 2015, 05:57:36 PMReply #2

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 05:57:36 PM »
The nu-canon novels have been consistently better in quality than the old EU and both Rebels and Marvel comics have been more than decent. Still lacking its own Thrawn Trilogy or the Unifying Force, though if they keep this level of quality up a truly great piece of NEU Star Wars is bound to happen eventually.

And yeah, never cared much about the clone microchip plotline. It kind of ruins the purpose of having to find a heartless bastard like Jango to be the prime clone.

September 17, 2015, 07:18:11 PMReply #3

• Vice Admiral
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 07:18:11 PM »
The nu-canon novels have been consistently better in quality than the old EU and both Rebels and Marvel comics have been more than decent. Still lacking its own Thrawn Trilogy or the Unifying Force, though if they keep this level of quality up a truly great piece of NEU Star Wars is bound to happen eventually.

And yeah, never cared much about the clone microchip plotline. It kind of ruins the purpose of having to find a heartless bastard like Jango to be the prime clone.

Damn straight my man, I've heard lots of good things about the other stuff coming out, but so far I haven't really like Dave's story work. The shows themselves look awesome and what not, but it really disappoints me when hes involved with story writing for star wars. Especially when this has become an essential piece of the canon.

September 17, 2015, 08:16:48 PMReply #4

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:16:48 PM »
It's been a while since I watched that arc on Clone Wars, but as I recall, the chip wasn't implanting Order 66 but instead suppressing the clones' memory of it so that they couldn't potentially warn the Jedi about it - which is what Fives tried to do pretty much the second his was taken out, so that precaution seems a sensible one for Siddious.  Order 66 (and a bunch of others) were already programmed into the clones, the chip just stopped them from knowing about it consciously.

And while I liked the EU making stormies the elite troops, the movies themselves really didn't do much to support that notion.  Yes, Obi-wan talks about stormies having precise accuracy at the sand crawler, but the entire rest of the trilogy has them being barely competent - and we really never see any other sort of Imperial ground troops.  You've got a handful of fleet troops in the Death Star cell block, a handful more manning consoles at the Death Star 2's shield generator, and the AT-ST operators... But else all we really see are stormies, and they lose to Ewoks in a battle that shows them having almost no sense of discipline.  This seems to support the notion of stormies being the Empire's regular troops, and we know from TIE fighters that the Empire favored quantity over quality, so I could see their equipment being just mass produced basic gear.  Remember, Luke couldn't see a thing in that helmet. ;)

Contrast this with the clones, who really were all elite troops given the best gear the Republic could provide... Well, I'm not sure that I like the change, but I can see the arguments behind it.  Still, one ATTE vs multiple ATATs is a bit silly, I agree.

P.S. I also never saw the clones as heartless.  Even Ep. 3 had Obi-wan and Cody joking with each other, and the Clone Wars show strongly showed them as largely good, honorable people.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:34:15 PM by Pali »

September 18, 2015, 12:16:29 AMReply #5

• Vice Admiral
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 12:16:29 AM »
It's been a while since I watched that arc on Clone Wars, but as I recall, the chip wasn't implanting Order 66 but instead suppressing the clones' memory of it so that they couldn't potentially warn the Jedi about it - which is what Fives tried to do pretty much the second his was taken out, so that precaution seems a sensible one for Siddious.  Order 66 (and a bunch of others) were already programmed into the clones, the chip just stopped them from knowing about it consciously.

And while I liked the EU making stormies the elite troops, the movies themselves really didn't do much to support that notion.  Yes, Obi-wan talks about stormies having precise accuracy at the sand crawler, but the entire rest of the trilogy has them being barely competent - and we really never see any other sort of Imperial ground troops.  You've got a handful of fleet troops in the Death Star cell block, a handful more manning consoles at the Death Star 2's shield generator, and the AT-ST operators... But else all we really see are stormies, and they lose to Ewoks in a battle that shows them having almost no sense of discipline.  This seems to support the notion of stormies being the Empire's regular troops, and we know from TIE fighters that the Empire favored quantity over quality, so I could see their equipment being just mass produced basic gear.  Remember, Luke couldn't see a thing in that helmet. ;)

Contrast this with the clones, who really were all elite troops given the best gear the Republic could provide... Well, I'm not sure that I like the change, but I can see the arguments behind it.  Still, one ATTE vs multiple ATATs is a bit silly, I agree.

P.S. I also never saw the clones as heartless.  Even Ep. 3 had Obi-wan and Cody joking with each other, and the Clone Wars show strongly showed them as largely good, honorable people.

I can agree with your whole thing on clones having heart - they do, but in the end I always believed that they thought it was their duty and job to kill the jedi fro the republic. Like I said the whole rebellion of some clones thing isn't bad at all, it makes perfect sense actually, just the chip thing was kind of dumb in my opinion. As for Stormtroopers, I'll always see them as elite troops, the emperor said they were his finest legion of troops on Endor, the Tantive IV, and all sorts of other examples. I'd say their equipment may be more standardized (as in not directly meant to fight against droids with the ion blasters and stuff) but it's still good equipment. I'm fine with the whole hero thing too, as it's pulled countless times in how many things? I'm pretty sure the luke line was a literal line from Hamill too lol. I just always thought of the Empire as the perfect military force, including ground forces and what not. What got them was incompetence and what not of the Emperor and stuff like that - not to mention the various plot bunny attacks. Dave Filoni just really doesn't sit right with me in how much he's changed.

September 18, 2015, 01:44:32 AMReply #6

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 01:44:32 AM »
As for Stormtroopers, I'll always see them as elite troops, the emperor said they were his finest legion of troops on Endor, the Tantive IV, and all sorts of other examples.

Sure, he says that, but look at their actual performance as shown on the screen.  On the Tantive IV, sure, they did fine... in that they blew ONE entrance into a ship during a boarding action, then shoved numbers through that hole without any cover (really, that should've been something the Rebels could've held against for much longer - neither side fought well there).  Even today, an action like that would be started with some kind of grenade being thrown in, likely a flashbang or other concussive grenade if you wanted prisoners, and you'd definitely come in from more than one access point to prevent focused fire from plugging the hole (which is what should have happened but didn't because movie).  On Endor, that legion of his best troops takes prisoners without restraining them in any way.  Then that legion is ambushed by primitives firing weapons that are literally bouncing off their armor... and they scatter, immediately abandoning the fortified position that they are there to defend (and those unrestrained prisoners) to chase in small groups or individually those primitives into the forest.  This is NOT disciplined, highly trained troops at work.  The only time stormtroopers are actually competent during combat in the movies is the Hoth assault, and that is largely mechanized; we see little of the stormtroopers directly in action, except for their notable failure to stop the Falcon from taking off.

Again, I LOVED the EU deciding that stormtroopers were actually elite troops, and coming up with ways to explain away their poor performance in the movies.  The Hand of Judgment, for instance, was an awesome group that kicked serious ass.  But those explanations are all after-the-fact, and at best are barely hinted at on-screen.

I just always thought of the Empire as the perfect military force, including ground forces and what not. What got them was incompetence and what not of the Emperor and stuff like that - not to mention the various plot bunny attacks.

Again, look at TIE fighters, the basic TIE/ln.  This is the primary fighter of the Empire and yet, by most standards, it is not a good fighter.  It has no shields, no hyperdrive, it has only two lasers as its armament, and it's not even much faster or more maneuverable than other fighters on the market (hell, it didn't even have a life support system).  The one thing it had going for it was that it was cheap and easy to mass produce - and the Empire didn't care about losing pilots, because it had so many other people to replace losses with.  Contrast that with the clones' V-19 Torrent, which had lasers, shields, missile launchers, hyperdrive ring compatibility and was one of the most maneuverable fighters of its day, or with the ARC-170, which had shields, torpedo launchers, internal hyperdrive and a rear turret.

The Empire's military was purely a quantity over quality machine.  The TIE Interceptor wasn't introduced until after the Rebellion started and Rebel fighters kept kicking the snot out of TIE/lns.  Other advanced TIE models were flown almost exclusively by officers and VIPs, but the normal pilots?  Most of them ended up dead within a year or so, and mostly because their equipment was shit.

Despite this, you are still right in that the Empire still largely lost because plot bunnies + arrogance/incompetence of the leadership.

I can agree with your whole thing on clones having heart - they do, but in the end I always believed that they thought it was their duty and job to kill the jedi fro the republic.

They did.  They just didn't know it until the order actually came through.  They were not created with the conscious knowledge that this order was there and just waiting to be implemented, but with this order buried in their subconscious, just like many other orders that, once given, they would have obeyed with equal lack of hesitation.  This is the conclusion that everything shown on screen points to, and since modern Star Wars stories are only counting those things that were on screen or in the NEU, that is what we've got to work with now.  However, I've read very little of the NEU, so if something in there contradicts me, take that over me.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:53:26 AM by Pali »

September 18, 2015, 01:32:09 PMReply #7

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
I always liked the argument that I think Zahn included in some of his Empire of the Hand work - that the anonymity of the Stormtrooper armour meant opposing forces had no idea whether they were facing crack troops or some green recruits fresh out of basic training at the academy.  Stormtroopers can be both the regular run of the mill infantry AND the elite soldiers of the Empire; it's just no-one can tell the difference at any particular moment (until they start shooting and missing, running away from lesser numbers or banging their heads on low doorways).
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

September 18, 2015, 03:15:37 PMReply #8

• Vice Admiral
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 03:15:37 PM »
I always liked the argument that I think Zahn included in some of his Empire of the Hand work - that the anonymity of the Stormtrooper armour meant opposing forces had no idea whether they were facing crack troops or some green recruits fresh out of basic training at the academy.  Stormtroopers can be both the regular run of the mill infantry AND the elite soldiers of the Empire; it's just no-one can tell the difference at any particular moment (until they start shooting and missing, running away from lesser numbers or banging their heads on low doorways).

I like this idea too, but I'm just so used to the old ideals of stormtroopers being good, tie pilots being good but their fighters suck, and their tactics and what not are just better. I see no reason for Stormtroopers to be garbage though. I really don't. I feel as though Imperial ground troops really had a thing going for them, and the Imperial Navy focused on large battleships over fighter superiority, with fighters being used for screening and things over being actual attack craft.

September 18, 2015, 08:10:01 PMReply #9

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 08:10:01 PM »
I like this idea too, but I'm just so used to the old ideals of stormtroopers being good, tie pilots being good but their fighters suck, and their tactics and what not are just better. I see no reason for Stormtroopers to be garbage though.

The only point I'm trying to get across is that this view, which is my preferred one as well, comes entirely out of the EU.  Little, if anything, shown on screen supports it.  In fairness, though, it is worth noting that Star Wars is far from the only movie/TV series that has elite troops suddenly being totally incompetent when the heroes are involved - as much flak as stormtrooper aim gets, the same is equally deserved by Cylon centurions, James Bond henchmen, and generally the bad guys in any action movie.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 09:09:08 PM by Pali »

September 19, 2015, 10:29:21 AMReply #10

Offline CaptainPogo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • Won't be running into traps today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2015, 10:29:21 AM »
I do agree about the Imperials and how they are portrayed as rather incompetent faceless boobs who are made to miss shots and killed rather easily by the heroes in the films or having mass fighters that can't take a hit with rather limited weapons compared to a shielded beast like the X-Wing. Basically anything that can be told rather positive about them is mainly EU works (when you got Soontir Fel showing that those Ties can be dangerous when in the right hands and the Hand of Judgement being shown as actual people with noble goals that can kick serious ass with the training they got).

The Official Imperial Handbook guide with comments written by Rebel military leaders (and Han) are rather amusing but it's a mixed bag. As sometimes they snark on it or do make note that they really had no chance in a pound for pound battle against the Empire (hence their hit and run strategy). Three things that really made me chuckle is:

1. Leia's rather out there comment on AT-STs and how to blow one up with ease. Han's reaction is priceless.
2. Han's comment on the Imperial Royal Guards and the rumor being that they are never killed in battle. In short, he says that line has to be total BS
3. Again, Han noting the specs of a Imperial Garrison and telling Madine to have Rebel troops see him for advice on how to infiltrate one since he has done so in the past. Madine...Doesn't believe him.

October 21, 2015, 08:35:14 AMReply #11

Offline Mitthrawnuruodo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 08:35:14 AM »
I have to say the idea of the Imperial military being inferior to the Republic's actually makes a bit of sense politically. The Clone Wars was a case of the Republic fighting a conventional and large enemy force, and the fear of the war encroaching on Republic planets was enough to keep the populations in check and the credits flowing into the budget. By the end of that war, you've got an Empire with no real threat to it and you need to keep a galaxy subjugated, so you cut costs to maintain a military force that isn't so specialised against a certain enemy, designed to inspire fear, and meeting the minimum needs to overcome insurrection - the money you save goes towards paying governors to keep their people subjugated and building Death Stars.

October 21, 2015, 02:23:03 PMReply #12

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 02:23:03 PM »
I'll agree with that, but you still keep them trained as competent.  The movies and books all have the Imperial Army as complete boobs, basically the 3 stooges in space except far more of them.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!