Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Raid Fleets: Any rhyme or reason?  (Read 7114 times)

July 28, 2015, 09:56:19 PM

Offline RallyToMe

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Raid Fleets: Any rhyme or reason?
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:56:19 PM »
To start out, I love ICW and what you guys did to the game- it is everything EAW should have been.

I particularly like what Raid Fleets bring to the table, so I was wondering:
1. Is there any rhyme or reason as to why Raid Fleets appear? Or are they like Autoresolve, and the best word to use to describe them is sorcery?
2. Is there any way to increase the chances of raid fleets appearing, like bringing a certain number or type of unit to a battle? I'm not a coder yet, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there any way to alter the code to increase the changes of a raid fleet appearing?
3. What determines what many/what type of unit are part of a raid fleet?
4. What does a Raid Fleet target? In one battle I was playing, towards the end of the battle where my lone MC80b and a raiding Venator entered range of each other for the first time, both largely ignored each other (or completely, I'm not sure), and continued to attack the Imperial Remnant's lone remaining Golan. After the Golan was destroyed, the two ships still ignored each other, and the raid fleet went after an escaping Imperial cruiser, while my forces followed another.

Thanks guys!

July 28, 2015, 10:53:49 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Raid Fleets: Any rhyme or reason?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 10:53:49 PM »
Can't answer it all, but

1.  Yes, there is a rhyme or reason.  Its a randomly computed chance of them appearing.
2.  Don't know, but i'd bet you can increase the chances.
3.  Corey explained this before, but I can't remember.
4.  Raid fleets target the home base of the defending fleet and anything in their way of destroying it.  So if you stay out of their way when attacking, they'll ignore you.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 28, 2015, 11:00:42 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 11:00:42 PM »
To start out, I love ICW and what you guys did to the game- it is everything EAW should have been.

Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.

1. Is there any rhyme or reason as to why Raid Fleets appear? Or are they like Autoresolve, and the best word to use to describe them is sorcery?

2. Is there any way to increase the chances of raid fleets appearing, like bringing a certain number or type of unit to a battle? I'm not a coder yet, so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but is there any way to alter the code to increase the changes of a raid fleet appearing?
Entirely random in GCs with 3 or more factions present, usually. Thrawn Campaign, for example, doesn't have them since that's supposed to be about the IR vs NR. The only caveat is that there has to be a Shipyard. Basically it's a random number with a 20% chance that there'll be a raid fleet.

If you want to increase the chance, Data\Scripts\Story\InvadingFleet.lua
if attack_chance <= 20 then

3. What determines what many/what type of unit are part of a raid fleet?
The script has a list of all the possible factions. It then removes the two already there and it's random between the rest. Unit count is randomized between 3 and 5, then pulls from a list of possible options for each one. I'd like it to be based on the ships already in the battle, but not sure how feasible this is and that would be really thrown off by pathfinder slot usage so it's not worth it.

4. What does a Raid Fleet target? In one battle I was playing, towards the end of the battle where my lone MC80b and a raiding Venator entered range of each other for the first time, both largely ignored each other (or completely, I'm not sure), and continued to attack the Imperial Remnant's lone remaining Golan. After the Golan was destroyed, the two ships still ignored each other, and the raid fleet went after an escaping Imperial cruiser, while my forces followed another.

As far as I can remember (and I can't see anything in the script to contradict this) it's just standard battle AI. They'll definitely attack whatever's in range regardless of who it belongs to, but it's possible they'll prioritize the defending faction.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 28, 2015, 11:12:17 PMReply #3

Offline RallyToMe

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 11:12:17 PM »
Thanks, glad you're enjoying it.
Entirely random in GCs with 3 or more factions present, usually. Thrawn Campaign, for example, doesn't have them since that's supposed to be about the IR vs NR. The only caveat is that there has to be a Shipyard. Basically it's a random number with a 20% chance that there'll be a raid fleet.

If you want to increase the chance, Data\Scripts\Story\InvadingFleet.lua
if attack_chance <= 20 then
The script has a list of all the possible factions. It then removes the two already there and it's random between the rest. Unit count is randomized between 3 and 5, then pulls from a list of possible options for each one. I'd like it to be based on the ships already in the battle, but not sure how feasible this is and that would be really thrown off by pathfinder slot usage so it's not worth it.

As far as I can remember (and I can't see anything in the script to contradict this) it's just standard battle AI. They'll definitely attack whatever's in range regardless of who it belongs to, but it's possible they'll prioritize the defending faction.

Hmm... I thought I was playing the Thrawn campaign right now, and I've had several raid fleets... Maybe I accidentally piced something else.

Thanks for the info!

July 28, 2015, 11:18:44 PMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:18:44 PM »
I may be wrong. I just remember my intentions when implementing it, haven't actually played that particular GC in quite some time.

I've also attributed your posts as a guest to your account, since you weren't logged in while posting about 3 of them.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 11:20:56 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 28, 2015, 11:52:43 PMReply #5

Offline RallyToMe

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:52:43 PM »
I may be wrong. I just remember my intentions when implementing it, haven't actually played that particular GC in quite some time.

I've also attributed your posts as a guest to your account, since you weren't logged in while posting about 3 of them.

Or I may be- I don't know how to check. Killing Thawn should advance the Era, though, right?

Oh, thanks. I thought I was logged in.

July 29, 2015, 12:08:26 AMReply #6

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 12:08:26 AM »
Raid fleets are fun.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

July 29, 2015, 04:05:14 PMReply #7

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »
Killing Thawn should advance the Era, though, right?

Eras only advance in the Essence/Art of War and 'Imperial Civil War' GCs.

July 30, 2015, 04:03:44 PMReply #8

Offline solarflare

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 04:03:44 PM »
I have noticed that raid fleets never use new republic units when i have played which is usually as the remmant or pentastar

July 30, 2015, 04:25:08 PMReply #9

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2015, 04:25:08 PM »
I have noticed that raid fleets never use new republic units when i have played which is usually as the remmant or pentastar

my last raid fleet was EOTH, which didnt help against the two SSDs attacking me, but the one before was NR so i wouldn't think that they don't show up in your game.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

July 31, 2015, 01:15:16 AMReply #10

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 01:15:16 AM »
Yeah, definitely see NR raid fleets quite regularly here.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 31, 2015, 07:06:43 AMReply #11

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2015, 07:06:43 AM »
Yeah, definitely see NR raid fleets quite regularly here.

Likewise.

August 09, 2018, 03:21:58 AMReply #12

Ace

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2018, 03:21:58 AM »
Hello there

First all, thanks and congratulations for putting together this sublime mod. That's fresh air in the era of Disney StarWars.

I'm playing the latest version (2.25 I believe), and the randomly generated extra fleets in space battles (the raid fleets) appear a little too often to my taste. I tried to find the InvadingFleet.lua as described above, but it doesn't seem to be present in the new version - nor is the folder "Scripts". I found a InvadingFleet_Plot_File in XML/Conquests but that doesn't allow me to change the chance of spawn value.

Could you help?

Tx

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!