Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Warlord Faction Development  (Read 77258 times)

July 02, 2015, 04:12:11 PMReply #80

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Warlord Faction Development
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2015, 04:12:11 PM »
I do like the idea that taking certain world yields unique units. I also like the idea of certain heroes being able to recruit units known for association with that specific hero on the planet said hero is currently on. Such as Zsinj and Tavira accessing pirates.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 02, 2015, 04:56:16 PMReply #81

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2015, 04:56:16 PM »
I also like the idea of certain heroes being able to recruit units known for association with that specific hero on the planet said hero is currently on. Such as Zsinj and Tavira accessing pirates.
Couldn't have said better myself.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

July 02, 2015, 05:05:14 PMReply #82

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2015, 05:05:14 PM »
Does that involve story scripting though?  If it does then all of this would be impossible.
We're not retreating, we're advancing in the opposite direction.

July 03, 2015, 06:05:44 AMReply #83

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2015, 06:05:44 AM »
Does that involve story scripting though?  If it does then all of this would be impossible.

I don't believe so. Vulcanus did them for the sub mod for the PA and Maldrood. The team did them for the PA with Jerec recruiting Dark Jedi and only certain units available on certain worlds. So it can be done.

July 03, 2015, 07:40:41 AMReply #84

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2015, 07:40:41 AM »
Xizer is right. It does not require Story Scripting. I did it myself for my submod's never seen V1.0. It is all in the XMLs. you just have to add/edit the lines for the unit itself.
<Required_Planets></Required_Planets>
or to connect it to the presence of a hero:
<Required_Orbiting_Units></Required_Orbiting_Units>
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

July 04, 2015, 08:15:47 AMReply #85

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
and it does certainly add to the game's enjoyment.

July 04, 2015, 10:10:16 AMReply #86

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2015, 10:10:16 AM »
I agree.  I'm all for anything that adds strategy to factions.  The original three had eras to work with, Pentastar Alignment has the CSA to conquer/Jerec's Dark Jedi to work with, and hopefully the Warlords have to conquer certain desirable planets and keep certain heroes alive (or lose the capability of building a certain unit).

July 04, 2015, 03:40:50 PMReply #87

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2015, 03:40:50 PM »
I agree.  I'm all for anything that adds strategy to factions.  The original three had eras to work with, Pentastar Alignment has the CSA to conquer/Jerec's Dark Jedi to work with, and hopefully the Warlords have to conquer certain desirable planets and keep certain heroes alive (or lose the capability of building a certain unit).
Sounds pretty much awesome, but this would give a tactical disadvantage. For starters people would always keep that hero away from the front line to keep him safe, spawning those units if they are too good, and if they are not, then they shall not build them one way or another. Just like me and the Crimson Command VSD IIs. I never move Cronus to a front until I have the maximal amount of 15.

July 04, 2015, 05:10:07 PMReply #88

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2015, 05:10:07 PM »
Sounds pretty much awesome, but this would give a tactical disadvantage. For starters people would always keep that hero away from the front line to keep him safe, spawning those units if they are too good, and if they are not, then they shall not build them one way or another. Just like me and the Crimson Command VSD IIs. I never move Cronus to a front until I have the maximal amount of 15.

No I understand that.  But, it is also the same exact concept used for the Dark Jedi.  It comes down to whether the hero in question is self-sustaining.  If (like Jerec) they can hold their own in a fight, then they'll see battle.  If not (like Cronus) they will be kept in the back a majority of the time.  And the AI will do whatever they want with them (usually sacrifice them).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 11:42:49 PM by Grimnak »

July 05, 2015, 04:12:50 AMReply #89

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 05, 2015, 04:12:50 AM »
No I understand that.  But, it is also the same exact concept used for the Dark Jedi.  It comes down to whether the hero in question is self-sustaining.  If (like Jerec) they can hold their own in a fight, then they'll see battle.  If not (like Cronus) they will be kept in the back a majority of the time.  And the AI will do whatever they want with them (usually sacrifice them).
It's nice that Jerec can see battle, but... HE IS A GOD DAMN SSD! We can't give everyone SSDs. These are warlords. ISD II is the max, and as one, it could die pretty easily if you are not careful, or lucky...
And we also eliminated Maldrood which is famous from not really using Capitals...
What you suggest might only work with maybe Zsinj's Empire but that's all.
Or maybe Delvardus that the Night Hammer can only be build with his presence.

July 05, 2015, 09:49:24 AMReply #90

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 05, 2015, 09:49:24 AM »
There's only going to be one build able Night Hammer.  I'm not sure if it will be tied to Delvardus's location or a planet, such as Odik.  My guess is it will be correlated with a planet, but we'll see.  Shipyard restrictions MIGHT not apply, but I doubt that.

July 05, 2015, 01:57:15 PMReply #91

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2015, 01:57:15 PM »
Night Hammer should also be stronger than standard ssd due to it being custom built to be a dominance weapon

July 05, 2015, 04:06:37 PMReply #92

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2015, 04:06:37 PM »
Is Daala's base Era 4 SSD stronger than typical Executors?  I never really noticed that.

July 05, 2015, 05:44:53 PMReply #93

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2015, 05:44:53 PM »
Is Daala's base Era 4 SSD stronger than typical Executors?  I never really noticed that.

It isn't but it should be

July 05, 2015, 11:07:52 PMReply #94

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2015, 11:07:52 PM »
Interesting.  Never really noticed that until now.

July 05, 2015, 11:38:00 PMReply #95

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2015, 11:38:00 PM »
What do you think that by conquering the warlords' capitals you gain access to some of their own ships, like with the Happan Battle Dragons...
Could be interesting to use TIE Raptors as Eriadu Authority or Maldrood :)

For one thing, there's no reason to tie TIE Raptors to any specific world; it was identified with Zsinj, not a specific planet. Also, these factions are already going to have next to no unique units, so why remove that by making the one or two they will have available to everyone?

Some units will be tied to heroes or planets, (far moreso than era advancement). I believe I mentioned this earlier.

There's only going to be one build able Night Hammer.  I'm not sure if it will be tied to Delvardus's location or a planet, such as Odik.  My guess is it will be correlated with a planet, but we'll see.  Shipyard restrictions MIGHT not apply, but I doubt that.

It's available at any shipyard planet owned by Eriadu Authority.

Night Hammer should also be stronger than standard ssd due to it being custom built to be a dominance weapon.

Being built as a dominance weapon doesn't mean every aspect was upgraded. All I've ever read about it as far as customization was the stealth armour, which is essentially a black paint job that it has in the mod but is meaningless in EaW gameplay-wise, and crew automation that is again meaningless in EaW
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 06, 2015, 08:38:06 AMReply #96

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 06, 2015, 08:38:06 AM »
The stealth armor was built on top of standard hull plating adding additional armor strength that could be reflected in hardpoint health, it also had massively upgraded hangar capacity, cited in Darksaber as carrying 1,000 TIEs.  It was designed to be superior to anything any other warlord possessed so I would imagine that would also llogically follow weapon improvements over standard SSDs as well due to Delvardus eventual plan to attack the NR after besting his rivals. He'd be up against Lusankya so it stands to reason he'd buff the Night Hammer as much as possible.  The vessel was constructed and modified to need for over seven years and was Delvardus sole ace in the hole. It would have superior weaponry to the standard model, also superior shielding as it was designed post Endor with the added shieldggenerators like Intimidator.

I'm not saying it should be massively more powerful but it should be better than the standard ssd. It is one of a kind and was specifically designed to be better. As such I feel it should reflect that in more than just a paint job. Again just a suggestion and it would add some more uniqueness to the Eriadu Authority.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 08:41:39 AM by Lord Xizer »

July 06, 2015, 10:39:46 AMReply #97

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2015, 10:39:46 AM »
For one thing, there's no reason to tie TIE Raptors to any specific world; it was identified with Zsinj, not a specific planet. Also, these factions are already going to have next to no unique units, so why remove that by making the one or two they will have available to everyone?

I think Kucsidave meant that a reward could be given out for capturing Dathomir (TIE Raptors) in the same manner that an ISD-II is given to the NR for capturing Kuat.  I don't believe he meant make them buildable (which would most definitely destroy the uniqueness).

July 06, 2015, 11:24:56 AMReply #98

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2015, 11:24:56 AM »
I think Kucsidave meant that a reward could be given out for capturing Dathomir (TIE Raptors) in the same manner that an ISD-II is given to the NR for capturing Kuat.  I don't believe he meant make them buildable (which would most definitely destroy the uniqueness).
Finally, someone understands my line of thoughts!
Thank you.

July 06, 2015, 11:29:33 AMReply #99

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2015, 11:29:33 AM »
I assumed you meant the other thing and not that because:

planet capture bonuses [...] require story scripting, which cannot be done with any faction beyond the original three
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!