Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Nine Years Lost in Space  (Read 16854 times)

June 08, 2015, 06:47:28 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Nine Years Lost in Space
« on: June 08, 2015, 06:47:28 PM »
...Ninth Anniversary...

Although the mod is nowhere close to resembling what it was in the early days, today marks the 9th anniversary of the creation of Thrawn's Revenge. I originally set out with the sole purpose of adding Thrawn as a playable hero in Empire at War, before Forces of Corruption was even a thing, and the project quickly grew (and sometimes shrank) from there. We on the dev team for both mods would like to thank everyone for their continued support in these last nine years; without it, we'd be nowhere near what we are today.

That being said, I'm sure you're more interested in what's going on with each mod than the fact that if the mod were a person in Canada or the United States (and elsewhere) it would be in the fourth grade, so we're going to do a joint update. If you're only interested in one, just read that part. We won't be offended.

...Imperial Civil War 2.2...

We've made a few changes from the 2.2 announcement; instead of adding the Galactic Civil War scenario, we're focusing on cleaning up and expanding within the current timeline and constraints of the mod.  The primary goal is to clean up and finalize the Empire of the Hand and Pentastar Alignment, the latter of which currently relies on outmoded ships and in some cases, leftover models and skins. The secondary goal now that the Defreezer utility exists is to represent the post-Endor galaxy and let the player work towards whatever outcome they want, with whatever group they want (within reason), so essentially if something is available on the map, eventually you'll be able to pick it. In 2.2 this means enabling the Duskhan League in whichever GCs they're already in, and enabling playing as the Warlords, which have been split into Harrsk, Teradoc and Zsinj's empires, who will have a mix of different Imperial units. Ideally this would also include the Hapans, but they'd need a bit more expansion first.

Another goal is to try to mitigate the badness that is EaW's land battles. The first step in this is to remove some of the worse and more tedious ICW maps and re-enabling some of the vanilla maps so we can reduce the unit speed. Honestly, we have pretty much no hope for land ever being anywhere near salvageable but we'll see what we can do (and before anyone says anything, the presence of Clone War units wouldn't actually make ground battles good).

...Ascendancy 1.0...

The goal with Ascendancy 1.0 is much as it always was; we're gathering the feedback from 0.95 to finalize the New Republic and Imperial Remnant, while adding the Empire of the Hand and Pentastar Alignment We're also adding some neutral structures and objectives, including the gravity-manipulating Centerpoint Station. We intended to include several redone models and skins, especially for the Empire of the Hand, however since the focus is still primarily on setting up gameplay mechanic and faction identities, the existing Empire of the Hand ships will be the same versions as exist in Imperial Civil War 2.1. After the release of 1.0, we'll start to redo and update certain models, with the New Republic's Ferret Scout and Empire of the Hand's Ascendancy Star Destroyer at the top of the list.

Tech trees are another primary focus in 1.0. In the existing versions, both factions have about 90 techs available to them, and in 1.0 the goal is to release with each faction hovering around 120, so even the existing factions will have several new dimensions to them upon release. On top of these new techs, each faction will be gaining some units; we've already announced the Imperial Remnant's acquisition of the Allegiance-class and Modular Taskforce Cruiser in exchange for some units being sent to the Pentastar Alignment, but the New Republic will also be gaining some new toys which we haven't mentioned yet, filling out it's currently-lacking Cruiser roster. These are the Sullustan Dauntless and Corellian Proficient.

Let's Test!

I've made a new channel on which we will be posting Let's Plays of the mods while they're in development, including both ICW and Ascendancy. This way, those who just want to see feature previews and trailers can see them on the Thrawn's Revenge channel, and those who want longer-form playthroughs can see them on the Corey Loses channel. The first series is a playthrough of Ascendancy 1.0 as the Remnant against all four 1.0 factions. I may eventually start playing other stuff, if people are interested in that.

Thanks again for your support for the last nine years!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:06:21 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 08, 2015, 09:28:19 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Nine Years Lost in Space
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 09:28:19 PM »
Can't wait to see what you do with the proficient.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 09, 2015, 07:46:33 AMReply #2

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:46:33 AM »
Absolutely stunning how far it's come.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 09, 2015, 05:18:00 PMReply #3

Offline Avarice1987

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:18:00 PM »
I'm happy to Play the Bellator and Secutor Star destroyers on the Pentastar Side.

Can we see a Screen from the bellator?

June 09, 2015, 06:19:01 PMReply #4

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 06:19:01 PM »
I'm happy to Play the Bellator and Secutor Star destroyers on the Pentastar Side.

Can we see a Screen from the bellator?

Don't know about in ICW, but if you want to see what they look like, I just recently posted some screenshots of them in Ascendency this thread, look for reply #436.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 10, 2015, 03:21:10 AMReply #5

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 03:21:10 AM »
It will be nice to play all sides in ICW, but... will they have expanded tech trees? I mean the DL as it is now is a little... underdeveloped.
That's why I created the Polished DL mod where i gave them a variety of new units(made them playable in some GCs like you plan to) and some new buildings, like mining facilities to let them have income.
Will they have similar things or...?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

June 10, 2015, 05:30:21 AMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 05:30:21 AM »
The factions will all be developed to appropriate degrees considering their involvement. The Duskhan League isn't underdeveloped in 2.1, its developed specifically to the point required by a GC which is meant to be quick and reflect that they would have needed to win with their initial resources. They will get more now that they will be available on larger maps.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 10, 2015, 12:26:00 PMReply #7

Offline jordanthejq12

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-1
  • RIP, Expanded Universe. You will be missed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 12:26:00 PM »
Does that mean they'll finally get mining facilities?

(I've been saying that for ages now. That one GC with them is almost freaking impossible.)
"Show the same loyalty you have in the past, Mandalore. If there is a Mandalorian crusade, let it be for something that will carry your people's memory into the future, so when the time comes when there are no more Mandalorians, than at least their honor will remain."
--Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

June 10, 2015, 12:50:58 PMReply #8

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »
The factions will all be developed to appropriate degrees considering their involvement.

For each of the Imperial Warlords how do we plan to work their individual armies as well as focus. Harrsk for example seems to have focused on ISDs as his mainstay but lacked large ground forces. Teradoc had the most in medium ships and mass production, but no heavy dreadnaughts, Delvardus appeared focused on the heavy vessels as the key to dominance with the largest Ground Forces besides Zsinj and Kaine's factions. Will each also be getting their own holo intro and such?

June 10, 2015, 04:20:41 PMReply #9

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »
Did you find a way to get 3DS Max working again that you're adding more ships again?  I thought that was why the new ships had stopped, because you're 3DS Max went kerspluttle.

June 10, 2015, 06:43:40 PMReply #10

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2015, 06:43:40 PM »
For each of the Imperial Warlords how do we plan to work their individual armies as well as focus. Harrsk for example seems to have focused on ISDs as his mainstay but lacked large ground forces. Teradoc had the most in medium ships and mass production, but no heavy dreadnaughts, Delvardus appeared focused on the heavy vessels as the key to dominance with the largest Ground Forces besides Zsinj and Kaine's factions. Will each also be getting their own holo intro and such?

They'll be getting a combination of Remnant/Pentastar units, with their own unique ones where they're known to have had them (ie Crimson Command and Raptor), and Zsinj will inherit the PA's corporate sector stuff potentially, since he's the one who actually controlled them. As far as other difference though, I don't think enough information actually exists about these groups to make any such claims.

As for the holograms, no. Those required making new character models and animating them, something which is extremely time consuming and I have had no practice with since I made those original ones. Also...

Did you find a way to get 3DS Max working again that you're adding more ships again?  I thought that was why the new ships had stopped, because you're 3DS Max went kerspluttle.

I have a new computer. That was only for the last month or so of the old computer though. The new ships had stopped because I was working solely on Ascendancy, and Pox and I are the only ones who work on ICW. The team is actually a lot smaller than a lot of people seem to think (although plenty of old members stick around and just hang out/talk or play games with the active team, which does help give the impression there's more of us than there are).

June 11, 2015, 01:20:56 AMReply #11

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 01:20:56 AM »
Then I take it the Warlords will have their own heroes then in addition to the main leader, i.e Delvardus gets Maximillion Veers, Shea Hublin and Col. Cronus/  Teradoc would get Kosh and Leonia Tavira and Harrsk would get Roganda and Irek Ismaren.

I can do audio for these if needed as well as reprising my roles for Harrsk, Teradoc and Delvardus respectively.

Im rather excited that each of the Warlords are getting playability for their respective factions, this has been a dream of mine sunce I discovered this glorious mod. I will of course help in any way I can.

June 11, 2015, 03:02:54 AMReply #12

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2015, 03:02:54 AM »
Then I take it the Warlords will have their own heroes then in addition to the main leader, i.e Delvardus gets Maximillion Veers, Shea Hublin and Col. Cronus/  Teradoc would get Kosh and Leonia Tavira and Harrsk would get Roganda and Irek Ismaren.

I can do audio for these if needed as well as reprising my roles for Harrsk, Teradoc and Delvardus respectively.

Im rather excited that each of the Warlords are getting playability for their respective factions, this has been a dream of mine sunce I discovered this glorious mod. I will of course help in any way I can.
I am also very excited. I wanted to play as them for so long. It will be totally awesome.
Let me also offer my voice for some of the new stuff if required.
Just tell me what to say ;)
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

June 11, 2015, 08:29:19 AMReply #13

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2015, 08:29:19 AM »
I am also very excited. I wanted to play as them for so long. It will be totally awesome.
Let me also offer my voice for some of the new stuff if required.
Just tell me what to say ;)

Indeed having the Warlords as their own playable factions will be the epitome of my goals made manifest.
I'd be happy to coordinate with you on the voiceovers. Do you have any equipment to record with or edit? I'd like to hear your thoughts on how you would expect Ivan Cronus, the Ismarens, Shea Hublin, Leonia Tavira and Kosh Teradoc to sound or how you picture them.

June 11, 2015, 09:01:01 AMReply #14

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2015, 09:01:01 AM »
I made some stuff. Currently i have nothing on my computer because i just had to reinstall windows, but i saved one of my previous works I planned for my submod.
it was a sound-set for the thrustship to make it a bit more distinct.

June 11, 2015, 10:11:38 AMReply #15

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2015, 10:11:38 AM »
I may as well add my input regarding the 2.2 ICW Patch. I unfortunately do not play Ascendancy.

After first reading the blurb on ICW, the splitting and expansion of the Imperial Warlords is my primary interest.  I've also always wanted to play as the Hapes Consortium, so that would be amazing.  As for the Warlords, I have one question.  Since the point of large GCs such as Art of War and Essence of War is to be inclusive and all, is it possible to have all three new Warlords factions active in one GC, such as AoW?

I feel like that would add an enormous amount of returnability to those particular GCs.  One could experience the art of conquering through the eyes (and situations) of all three Warlord factions and experience the conflict between them.

It may be too much to ask for, but it is well worth the try.  Thanks for the updates!
We're not retreating, we're advancing in the opposite direction.

June 11, 2015, 12:19:05 PMReply #16

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2015, 12:19:05 PM »
After first reading the blurb on ICW, the splitting and expansion of the Imperial Warlords is my primary interest.  I've also always wanted to play as the Hapes Consortium, so that would be amazing.  As for the Warlords, I have one question.  Since the point of large GCs such as Art of War and Essence of War is to be inclusive and all, is it possible to have all three new Warlords factions active in one GC, such as AoW?

I think this is exactly what they are going for with the Warlords and I believe it was mentioned the Hapes would be expanded as a faction too.

June 11, 2015, 02:06:13 PMReply #17

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2015, 02:06:13 PM »
I think this is exactly what they are going for with the Warlords and I believe it was mentioned the Hapes would be expanded as a faction too.

Yeah, that's how I read it.  If Hapes does make it, I see it coming down the line, maybe as a 2.25 or 2.3, probably after they finish fleshing them out for Ascendency, since they would then just be able to use the same models just export for EaW, just like they did with several ships that they've remade for Ascendency and then ported BACK into ICW due to the model being better than what was being used for ICW at the time.

June 11, 2015, 02:53:17 PMReply #18

Offline Grimnak

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2015, 02:53:17 PM »
I actually just watched the first Let's Play video, and Corey does mention that they will be making them (Hapans) playable only if they get to them in Ascendancy.  That's definitely okay, for I'm just excited for three Warlords factions duking it out as they get pounded by the other factions as well.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 02:55:11 PM by Grimnak »
We're not retreating, we're advancing in the opposite direction.

June 11, 2015, 03:26:35 PMReply #19

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »
I actually just watched the first Let's Play video, and Corey does mention that they will be making them (Hapans) playable only if they get to them in Ascendancy.  That's definitely okay, for I'm just excited for three Warlords factions duking it out as they get pounded by the other factions as well.

Well said indeed

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!