Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Nine Years Lost in Space  (Read 7293 times)

June 08, 2015, 06:30:00 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Nine Years Lost in Space
« on: June 08, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
...Ninth Anniversary...

Although the mod is nowhere close to resembling what it was in the early days, today marks the 9th anniversary of the creation of Thrawn's Revenge. I originally set out with the sole purpose of adding Thrawn as a playable hero in Empire at War, before Forces of Corruption was even a thing, and the project quickly grew (and sometimes shrank) from there. We on the dev team for both mods would like to thank everyone for their continued support in these last nine years; without it, we'd be nowhere near what we are today.

That being said, I'm sure you're more interested in what's going on with each mod than the fact that if the mod were a person in Canada or the United States (and elsewhere) it would be in the fourth grade, so we're going to do a joint update. If you're only interested in one, just read that part. We won't be offended.

...Imperial Civil War 2.2...

We've made a few changes from the 2.2 announcement; instead of adding the Galactic Civil War scenario, we're focusing on cleaning up and expanding within the current timeline and constraints of the mod.  The primary goal is to clean up and finalize the Empire of the Hand and Pentastar Alignment, the latter of which currently relies on outmoded ships and in some cases, leftover models and skins. The secondary goal now that the Defreezer utility exists is to represent the post-Endor galaxy and let the player work towards whatever outcome they want, with whatever group they want (within reason), so essentially if something is available on the map, eventually you'll be able to pick it. In 2.2 this means enabling the Duskhan League in whichever GCs they're already in, and enabling playing as the Warlords, which have been split into Harrsk, Teradoc and Zsinj's empires, who will have a mix of different Imperial units. Ideally this would also include the Hapans, but they'd need a bit more expansion first.

Another goal is to try to mitigate the badness that is EaW's land battles. The first step in this is to remove some of the worse and more tedious ICW maps and re-enabling some of the vanilla maps so we can reduce the unit speed. Honestly, we have pretty much no hope for land ever being anywhere near salvageable but we'll see what we can do (and before anyone says anything, the presence of Clone War units wouldn't actually make ground battles good).

...Ascendancy 1.0...

The goal with Ascendancy 1.0 is much as it always was; we're gathering the feedback from 0.95 to finalize the New Republic and Imperial Remnant, while adding the Empire of the Hand and Pentastar Alignment We're also adding some neutral structures and objectives, including the gravity-manipulating Centerpoint Station. We intended to include several redone models and skins, especially for the Empire of the Hand, however since the focus is still primarily on setting up gameplay mechanic and faction identities, the existing Empire of the Hand ships will be the same versions as exist in Imperial Civil War 2.1. After the release of 1.0, we'll start to redo and update certain models, with the New Republic's Ferret Scout and Empire of the Hand's Ascendancy Star Destroyer at the top of the list.

Tech trees are another primary focus in 1.0. In the existing versions, both factions have about 90 techs available to them, and in 1.0 the goal is to release with each faction hovering around 120, so even the existing factions will have several new dimensions to them upon release. On top of these new techs, each faction will be gaining some units; we've already announced the Imperial Remnant's acquisition of the Allegiance-class and Modular Taskforce Cruiser in exchange for some units being sent to the Pentastar Alignment, but the New Republic will also be gaining some new toys which we haven't mentioned yet, filling out it's currently-lacking Cruiser roster. These are the Sullustan Dauntless and Corellian Proficient.

Let's Test!

I've made a new channel on which we will be posting Let's Plays of the mods while they're in development, including both ICW and Ascendancy. This way, those who just want to see feature previews and trailers can see them on the Thrawn's Revenge channel, and those who want longer-form playthroughs can see them on the Corey Loses channel. The first series is a playthrough of Ascendancy 1.0 as the Remnant against all four 1.0 factions. I may eventually start playing other stuff, if people are interested in that.

Thanks again for your support for the last nine years!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:05:55 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 08, 2015, 10:33:23 PMReply #1

Offline Meyer

• Grand Moff
  • Approval: +69/-2
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
    • View Profile
Re: Nine Years Lost in Space
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 10:33:23 PM »
Happy birthday!

Is it just me or have the years gone by quickly?
But you're right, you have come far from the early days. Although I'm still not sure which version of the Ascendancy I like better. (meaning the ship)
I reject your canon and substitute my own!

June 08, 2015, 10:35:36 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:35:36 PM »
I think you're the only person (outside the mod team) who ever got to play with all 3 versions, since you won that contest thing.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 09, 2015, 04:03:09 AMReply #3

Offline Kratas

• Chat Members
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +19/-38
  • "If my face looked like a squid, I'd be angry, too
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:03:09 AM »
9 years? I was 12-13 when this mod began. I might not be active at all anymore but it's nice to see everything has gone well. I'll give ascendancy a go when 1.0 is released.

June 09, 2015, 07:44:18 AMReply #4

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 07:44:18 AM »
Best damn mod I've ever played and one I'm quite proud to be a part of.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 09, 2015, 04:07:07 PMReply #5

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 04:07:07 PM »
Best damn mod I've ever played and one I'm quite proud to be a part of.

Even if Revan likes to make fun of you.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 09, 2015, 04:20:12 PMReply #6

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 04:20:12 PM »
I think you're the only person (outside the mod team) who ever got to play with all 3 versions, since you won that contest thing.
Wait. There were only three versions? :(
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 09, 2015, 06:16:31 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:16:31 PM »
Wait. There were only three versions? :(

Shows how comparitively recently I joined...I only remember 1.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 09, 2015, 06:39:32 PMReply #8

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2015, 06:39:32 PM »

Then of course the one currently in.

June 09, 2015, 11:25:48 PMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2015, 11:25:48 PM »
So very excited each of the Warlord kingdoms will be playable.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 11, 2015, 12:57:31 PMReply #10

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2015, 12:57:31 PM »
Ah. Was it the Phalanx that went through about 20 iterations then?

PS. I still miss those cool maser particle effects you made way back at the start. And AllofIt. :(
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 11, 2015, 07:27:36 PMReply #11

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2015, 07:27:36 PM »
Didn't the phalanx have 4 hangars as well or am I thinking of something else.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!