Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Who exactly is Thrawn getting revenge against?  (Read 3607 times)

May 30, 2015, 03:40:51 PM

Offline Mitthrawnuruodo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Who exactly is Thrawn getting revenge against?
« on: May 30, 2015, 03:40:51 PM »
I've read the Thrawn trilogy and Hand duology and I'm still struggling to grasp who Thrawn is getting revenge against.

June 01, 2015, 02:42:45 AMReply #1

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Who exactly is Thrawn getting revenge against?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 02:42:45 AM »
The artistically illiterate
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 01, 2015, 11:54:24 AMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 11:54:24 AM »
Short version: the initial idea for a campaign, back when I was 13-14 and thought that was a feasible thing to do in EaW, was to follow the books but then in the EotH version, it ends with the Thrawn clone winning and getting rid of the NR so it technically still kinda worked.

Longer version: When the mod started, it was just going to add Thrawn as a playable hero in EaW since FoC didn't exist yet. I was contacted by a few people, one of whom I discussed making a bigger mod with. We then contacted Zeron (still with the team) to join, and we spent the night detailing a four-release mod. Some of the older active members were actually around during this time and may remember that release structure (certainly Meyer was). ICW is really only a quarter of what we originally planned. We then spent a while trying to come up with names for the mod, but one of us went to dinner, at which point we just said "we'll call it Thrawn's Revenge for now and just change it tomorrow." Still not overly fond of the name, but we never got around to changing it before announcing anything. If you read anything I post, I almost always refer to the mods as Imperial Civil War and Ascendancy as opposed to TR and TRII.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 01, 2015, 01:52:16 PMReply #3

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 01:52:16 PM »
I can remember (just about) that me and my brother got EAW gold pack in 2008 my first mod was round about 09 and that was your fall of the republic mod, I got ICW a little bit later (I think 1.2 unsure but it was one of your early versions) and as far as I have found is ICW is commonly known as Thrawn's revenge but never worked out why, I would assume it's because it's (of course) your team name for the mod and unless you where around back in those times when I believe you planned 4 different mods (I did my research years ago) you wouldn't of called it differently.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

June 01, 2015, 03:57:04 PMReply #4

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 03:57:04 PM »
I found them about...what was it Corey, late 2007 or early 08 I think. Was looking for a way to add Jerec to FoC then lo and behold I find their model of him and made it a personal mission to get him and the Warlords playable ever since. Greatest mod I ever discovered during a random interweb search.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 02, 2015, 02:52:53 PMReply #5

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 02:52:53 PM »
I found them through wookiepedia at the near bottom of the eaw page is a list of mods and a link to filefront.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

June 02, 2015, 04:31:51 PMReply #6

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
I found them about...what was it Corey, late 2007 or early 08 I think. Was looking for a way to add Jerec to FoC then lo and behold I find their model of him and made it a personal mission to get him and the Warlords playable ever since. Greatest mod I ever discovered during a random interweb search.

Agree with that, don't play any other FOC mods after finding this one.  Played quite a few before, but found I played them less and less after finding ICW.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 02, 2015, 06:59:54 PMReply #7

Offline Mitthrawnuruodo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 06:59:54 PM »
Short version: the initial idea for a campaign, back when I was 13-14 and thought that was a feasible thing to do in EaW, was to follow the books but then in the EotH version, it ends with the Thrawn clone winning and getting rid of the NR so it technically still kinda worked.

Funnily enough, that's just what I assumed before deciding to ask this question - that since the mod seemed to be bigging up the Empire of the Hand, what with the startup screens being of a Stormtrooper with the Hand logo on the shoulder and the Hand intro playing as part of the title screen, that it must refer to the Empire of the Hand and Thrawn's clone getting revenge for the death of Thrawn.

Anyway, since this now seems to be the "How I found the mod" thread, I can't remember exactly when I first came across it but it must be around 2012 when I was first getting into the EU and read the Thrawn trilogy, and after trying to play out Thrawn's battles in vanilla FoC skirmishes, I decided to find a mod that pitted New Republic against Thrawn.

June 02, 2015, 07:09:45 PMReply #8

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 07:09:45 PM »
That's why those sweet cheques from Petroglyph and Stardock keep rolling in
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!