Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: A Dangerous Galaxy  (Read 10810 times)

April 20, 2015, 05:47:14 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
A Dangerous Galaxy
« on: April 20, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »
"Let me get this straight. You said 'Kiss my Wookiee!' to the most powerful warlord in the galaxy?" - Isolder, Hapan Prince

As you probably noticed, in 0.95 starting forces are essentially the same pairs of Lancers and Carracks everywhere you go. In 1.0 and on, the galaxy will be far more populated when you start off a game.

Most prominently in a post Imperial-collapse galaxy, are the various Warlord groups. In the areas of space canonically controlled by these independent Warlords, you'll find their forces on patrol, with a bit of different composition depending on the group in question. Their canonical capitals also act as strongholds for their mini-Empires, where you'll find the Warlords themselves leading their fleet from their own flagship, such as Zsinj on the Iron Fist (see below). These Warlords were often quite fond of Super Star Destroyers, so their fleets can put up a fight against even the strongest of your forces. For those more familiar with the lore, along with Zsinj's empire you'll find Greater Maldrood, the Eriadu Authority and Zero Command.

In the non-Imperial parts of the galaxy, you'll also be able to find appropriate forces defending their planets with their own unique ships. Chief among these are the Ssi-Ruuvi and Hapans. How far we take this depends mostly on the limitations of Sins, since we're prioritizing stability over having more militia.

These starting forces aren't the only things you'll encounter while exploring the galaxy. There are also random events and structures (like Centerpoint) which will help to spice up your experience. More on those later.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 05:50:59 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

April 20, 2015, 06:09:10 PMReply #1

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-4
    • View Profile
Re: A Dangerous Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »
Glad you guys aren't going with the milita spam angle like Armada. It's cool that they have tons of militia units but it mostly just slows down the game to a crawl...

April 20, 2015, 06:15:24 PMReply #2

Offline Delta

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 06:15:24 PM »
Ah the fear of hypering into a warlord fleet or a large Hapan fleet, this just keeps looking more promising. Was the Hapes Cluster Militia nerfed in .95 seemed like a lot less battle dragons then again may just have been my starting point?

April 20, 2015, 07:38:31 PMReply #3

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »
Glad you guys aren't going with the milita spam angle like Armada. It's cool that they have tons of militia units but it mostly just slows down the game to a crawl...

Huh, haven't had that problem with Armada myself - most of the militia units aren't that strong, and some are actually incredibly weak (Bajoran ships, for instance, but that makes sense canonically). I do really, really like the idea of Warlord empires and things like Centerpoint (I can blow up stars? PLEASE?!) being included in Ascendancy.  You guys just keep making this better and better. :)

April 20, 2015, 09:57:30 PMReply #4

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 09:57:30 PM »
Ugh, I do not look forward to having to take out Executors just to conquor a planet.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

April 20, 2015, 10:05:53 PMReply #5

Offline Delta

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 10:05:53 PM »
 Are we going to see Krennel's Ciutric Hegemony too?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:10:13 PM by Delta »

April 21, 2015, 12:27:08 PMReply #6

Offline Meyer

• Grand Moff
  • Approval: +69/-2
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 12:27:08 PM »
"canonical capitals"??? Don't you mean Legendical?

Jokes aside, sounds great. Scouting gets a lot more important while planning expansion, no more just sending some capitals supported by frigates etc. and taking what you want.
I reject your canon and substitute my own!

April 21, 2015, 03:48:55 PMReply #7

Offline Delta

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 03:48:55 PM »
"canonical capitals"??? Don't you mean Legendical?

Jokes aside, sounds great. Scouting gets a lot more important while planning expansion, no more just sending some capitals supported by frigates etc. and taking what you want.

Glad that was a joke lol. Guess we can't facecheck planets anymore with small fleets, as well slow expansion / rushing. All good things to see for sure.

April 21, 2015, 06:36:07 PMReply #8

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 06:36:07 PM »
Are we going to see Krennel's Ciutric Hegemony too?

I should hope so eventually, though he was relatively small compared to the Big Five Zsinj, Kaine, Delvardus, Teradoc and Harrsk and we have them already. What I am eventually hoping for is to play as each of these individual Warlord Kingdoms and vie for Hegemony!
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

April 23, 2015, 07:36:47 PMReply #9

Offline Delta

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2015, 07:36:47 PM »
I should hope so eventually, though he was relatively small compared to the Big Five Zsinj, Kaine, Delvardus, Teradoc and Harrsk and we have them already. What I am eventually hoping for is to play as each of these individual Warlord Kingdoms and vie for Hegemony!

I agree I always liked Krennel though shame the New Republic had to take him out. A bit of an outlandish suggestion but what about some massive Imperial fleet at Byss to represent the Clone Emperor's return? Also maybe have a valuable holocron there to make it worth taking.

April 23, 2015, 08:57:26 PMReply #10

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2015, 08:57:26 PM »
I was thinking of maybe having a few CIS ships on a few scattered planets to represent Separatist hold outs or something.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

April 24, 2015, 12:37:10 AMReply #11

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 12:37:10 AM »
I was thinking of maybe having a few CIS ships on a few scattered planets to represent Separatist hold outs or something.

By this timeframe (6 ABY+), WERE there anymore seperatist holdouts still?
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

April 24, 2015, 05:05:02 AMReply #12

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 05:05:02 AM »
By this timeframe (6 ABY+), WERE there anymore seperatist holdouts still?
The answer is a big fat NO
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

April 24, 2015, 05:54:51 AMReply #13

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2015, 05:54:51 AM »
Ah, but there was the Corporate Sector, which more than likely still used a number of old ships since they'd be cheaper yet still of great use for police and small action work.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 05:56:52 AM by Pali »

April 24, 2015, 03:02:59 PMReply #14

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2015, 03:02:59 PM »
Maybe not seperatist hold outs I suppose, but places like the Corporate Sector would use separatist-esque ships, along with other defense fleets. I mean where did the thousands of Munificent star ships and Lucrehulks go? Sure some of them were scrapped but certainly not all.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

April 24, 2015, 04:02:27 PMReply #15

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2015, 04:02:27 PM »
Once they have it done, they could do the muni as part of some planets defense forces if they wanted.  It's part of the PA ship alignment (and quite a bit more effective currently than it was in ICW, which may change obviously).

April 26, 2015, 05:34:39 PMReply #16

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2015, 05:34:39 PM »
I agree I always liked Krennel though shame the New Republic had to take him out. A bit of an outlandish suggestion but what about some massive Imperial fleet at Byss to represent the Clone Emperor's return? Also maybe have a valuable holocron there to make it worth taking.

He always struck me as a very small fish in a big pond, still he was smart enough to realize that and he managed not to be absorbed by his much stronger neighbors Zsinj and Kaine. With just 12 destroyers under his command and the Hegemony planetary forces it's kind of impressive he lasted five years before the NR killed him. The space battle was pretty awesome and one of the few times Ackbar really utterly bested his opponent, that he used Thrawns preferred tactic made it more ironic. Humanocentric Krennal gets killed by an alien plan initiated by another alien. Kind of poetic really.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!