Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Faction Profile: The Pentastar Alignment  (Read 16145 times)

June 17, 2015, 10:25:04 AMReply #20

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Faction Profile: The Pentastar Alignment
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 10:25:04 AM »
Oh, everyone's entitled to an opinion, I just think yours is nuts.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 17, 2015, 01:28:17 PMReply #21

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 01:28:17 PM »
Strictly speaking there is a canonical basis for not having Star Destroyers fire forward because some sources have categorically stated that although they look like they were designed for it they actually couldn't (rear guns not elevated enough).  I think in the end though the recurring complaints about the "wrong" (but technically canon) behaviour prompted Corey to change it just to get some peace.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 17, 2015, 02:33:34 PMReply #22

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 02:33:34 PM »
My indifference was outweighed by the absolute rage this seemed to inspire in certain people.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 17, 2015, 02:47:59 PMReply #23

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
I do seem to recall that in at least 1 book it was also mentioned that the design of the ISD WAS to allow all main batteries to fire forward, even if when you look at the model I'd agree it doesn't look like it could.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 17, 2015, 05:27:25 PMReply #24

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 05:27:25 PM »
I do seem to recall that in at least 1 book it was also mentioned that the design of the ISD WAS to allow all main batteries to fire forward, even if when you look at the model I'd agree it doesn't look like it could.

I seem to recall this being mentioned...and the design does seem to favor forward firing.
I know with the SSDs it is mentioned that they had issues depressing their guns fully forward though(In the X Wing Iron Fist book)
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 17, 2015, 06:14:40 PMReply #25

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:40 PM »
Yes, but an SSD is considerably flatter than an ISD for its length.  Still, I remember in X-Wing: Solo Command a point where the broadside of an ISD was stated to offer more firepower than the forward guns of TWO ISDs (and an Interdictor) opposing it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:26:27 PM by Pali »

June 17, 2015, 06:28:41 PMReply #26

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 06:28:41 PM »
In the end, the big thing is enough people wanted them to fire straight that Corey acquiesced.  So they fire straight now.  But in terms of logic, if you're going to create a ship with downward sloped front armor (when using energy weapons since the sloping won't give you increased penetration resistance like it does against projectile weapons), the logical reason is to have your gun batteries staggered in it so that you can bring full guns to bear directly forward rather than having to rely on coming alongside your opponent to use a broadside.  I could care less either way honestly, as long as they fire.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 06:32:09 PM by tlmiller »

January 10, 2016, 09:59:14 PMReply #27

Offline Gran Moff Blaure Epp

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2016, 09:59:14 PM »
It looks like the pentastar  alignment will be my favourite faction again, I will miss the tie hunters though.

February 22, 2016, 04:47:12 PMReply #28

Offline Brutoni

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 04:47:12 PM »
PA might well be my favourite faction but currently having to work hard to figure them out. Especially as I don't like playing against a computer less than Very Hard if 1v1 and less than hard if 4 way FFA.

February 22, 2016, 05:10:42 PMReply #29

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 05:10:42 PM »
They're pretty simple really.  They have the masses of cheap, disposable units like the IR, but also bring masses of fighters to the party.  Go nuts on the Blastboats, use just enough interceptors to keep your blastboats "safe", and be sure to have a few Praetors to keep your frigates & cruisers alive for more than a second or 2.

February 22, 2016, 05:13:23 PMReply #30

Offline Brutoni

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 05:13:23 PM »
They're pretty simple really.  They have the masses of cheap, disposable units like the IR, but also bring masses of fighters to the party.  Go nuts on the Blastboats, use just enough interceptors to keep your blastboats "safe", and be sure to have a few Praetors to keep your frigates & cruisers alive for more than a second or 2.

How do you progress tech wise with them? Can they manage without a "rush to tech up" or is it wise to rush to the Praetors? How do you manage the early game especially on close knife fight maps?

February 22, 2016, 05:29:40 PMReply #31

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2016, 05:29:40 PM »
Get resupply stations, interceptors, blastboats, Vindicators.  Then focus on economy until you've researched at least level 1 in thin ranks or whatever it is that give you free (no upkeep cost) supply & command.  At that point, you'll have the largest fleet, although probably fewest caps (don't worry, this will never change, the PA more than anyone else relies upon the frigate & cruiser) since you only have ISD-I's.

Once you've got the free supply & command, your Star Galleons, Acclamators, Venators, Procusators, and other capital ships.  PA is unique in that they're the only faction that can COMPLETELY abandon one of their capital ships.  Once you have ISD-II & Secutors, the ISD-I offers no good reason to EVER build.  The Secutor can colonize, the ISD-II can do overwhelm & tractor beams.  Unless you really care about the probe droids ability that you need to be fairly high level to take, then the ISD-I becomes redundant and useless.

ALWAYS have at least 1 Praetor.  You'll need it to be a damage sink to allow your fairly weak cruisers to survive and thrive.  The bulk of your fleet should be Secutors.  Damage on par with the ISD-II, but able to colonize, improve your fighters abilities, and carries at higher levels a LOT of fighters (7 squadrons @ 8th level).  ISD-II rounds it out, with a Dominator or 2 for when you really don't want the enemy to get away.

Always build corporate command center and upgrade all 3 properties on your Capitals.  ESPECIALLY Praetors...they're sluggishness is only SLIGHLTY offset by this, but it helps a ton nevertheless.

Procursators & VSD's (until they're replaced) should be the bulk of your fleet.  Procursators are incredibly powerful cruisers, although you do pay for it.  Venators are great for tehir money.  After all the upgrade, do over 100 average TL dps while carrying 3 squadrons, and having upper 2000's hull & shields.  They're the things the Praetor is there to protect.  2 Skiprays + 1 Interceptor per Venator is a dangerous combination.

Unlike the NR & IR, your beginning cruiser never becomes useless.  Because the Gladiator can carry a blastboat, it's still useful until the very end.

February 22, 2016, 05:43:59 PMReply #32

Offline Brutoni

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2016, 05:43:59 PM »
Cheers dude. I will try and bear that in mind :). Hopefully that will set me a little bit better in store for utilising them :).

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!