Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Realignment  (Read 20009 times)

February 19, 2015, 08:15:48 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Realignment
« on: February 19, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »
Changes to the Pentastar Alignment, and some new directions for 2.2

With the first release of Ascendancy available, I've started to shift some of my focus back to ICW and getting 2.2 off the ground. Since doing so, I've made a few shifts to the plans for that release. In the previous update, we explained a few of the major focuses for the upcoming version.

...Realignment...

The most drastic changes related to the four playable factions in 2.2 have to do with the Pentastar Alignment; for the last few versions, while they have had some interesting aspects they've lacked some of the feeling of cohesion other factions had, and the plan with this release is to address that. The initial plan for unit expansion in the Alignment was to use the Corporate Sector Authority as sort of an unofficial ally for them, and expand their content using CSA assets. However, despite the appeal of the corporate ties aspect, the fact that the CSA was usually under Zsinj's direct control makes this a bit problematic and not ideal. So while we still keep access to the CSA units for the Alignment when you control the CSA worlds (and extend the same privelages to Zsinj), we're also expanding the core roster for the Alignment as well:

New Units: Gladiator, Procursator, Secutor, Bellator.

Most of these ships have pretty self-explanatory frigate-cruiser-capital carrier roles, which ties into the "obscure Imperial ships with a focus on fighters" motif the PA currently has. The only outlier is the Bellator, as an SSD, which will be available in eras 3+ on Kuat and Fondor. We're mostly happy with the current SSD setup for the Pentastar Alignment, where they get two at the start and have to make them last, however we felt they could use a bit more firepower as the game goes on, and a better incentive to progress eras.

...An Empire Divided, A Galaxy At War...

As it says in the previous update, one of our initial plans was to create a GCW galactic conquest in 2.2, however on further review we feel our efforts would be better spent elsewhere; art assets would be better directed at fleshing out the factions as they currently exist, where necessary, instead of creating several units for a single-use GC. With the defreezer seeming to be funtioning without any issues, instead of creating a scenario that ultimately would end up fairly similar to those in the base game, we can use that time to create scenarios which can take advantage of more planets or more active factions.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 19, 2015, 10:57:31 PMReply #1

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
Re: Realignment
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:57:31 PM »
Sounds good. Pentastar Alignment could always use more help, despite being an awesome faction.

Can't wait for more updates, thanks Corey and the team!
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

February 20, 2015, 08:26:02 AMReply #2

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:26:02 AM »
Bellator is one of my favorite Dreadnoughts, awesome.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

February 20, 2015, 10:43:08 AMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:43:08 AM »
I take it the Bellator will be a lighter version of the SSDs now. Less weaponry and armor?
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

February 20, 2015, 12:37:54 PMReply #4

Offline Thrawnizator

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • Very Handy Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 12:37:54 PM »
Yay, great news.  I don't care about exact 'canon' details as long as gameplay is enjoyable.

Bellator is [or one of] coolest dreadnought(s) of pre-Legacy era. Finally there will be much more incentive to reach Kuat from PA point of view. I'm really happy as I was championing the bid for more muscles for PA after conquering Kuat.

Can't wait.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 12:40:29 PM by Thrawnizator »

February 20, 2015, 01:34:54 PMReply #5

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 01:34:54 PM »
I take it the Bellator will be a lighter version of the SSDs now. Less weaponry and armor?

Bellator is a "fast" Dreadnought.  It is the cousin of the Mandator III, but whereas the III was scaled up to 12 KM to become a true fleet centerpiece much like a slightly shortened Executor, the Bellator was actually reduced in size to 7.2 KM and was made to more of an overgrown multipurpose ship.  It was designed to be significantly faster and more maneuverable than any other star dreadnoughts, so that in real universe it would actually be capable of deploying tactics rather than being the focal point of an attack because it's so slow to maneuver.

With the Sovereign, these are my favorite star dreadnoughts with the Vengeance class just slightly behind.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

February 21, 2015, 10:33:53 PMReply #6

Offline heisenberg

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »
Will there be a Battle of Endor GC scenario? Really missing the OT characters/era.

February 24, 2015, 10:49:49 AMReply #7

Offline Guderian

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +7/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 10:49:49 AM »
I do love the sound of this.
New Star-Destroyers is always a good thing :)

February 24, 2015, 02:57:53 PMReply #8

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2015, 02:57:53 PM »
Any chance on getting the PA Logo on some of the Ship Models?

February 24, 2015, 04:47:14 PMReply #9

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 04:47:14 PM »
Any chance on getting the PA Logo on some of the Ship Models?

I imagine if they're going to be the only faction using it, the Bellator could have them.

February 25, 2015, 05:29:58 AMReply #10

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 05:29:58 AM »
New Imp ship are always nice, but the one I'd really like to see in the mod is the Dauntless-class. By the start of the mod's timeline in 6 ABY the New Republic had essentially cleaned the southern part of the Galaxy with brute power rather than some imaginary plot bunnies that only appear in this message board's Imperial fanboys' dreams.
Maybe the Dauntless played a part in that? It is a shame that the Empire starts all the first era GC's with overwhelming edge in firepower, not to mention the supposedly buried Lusankya, when the EGtW tells us of the New Republic conquering Kashyyyk, Denon and the entire Southern portion of the Galaxy in "brutal" battles where they dominated the Imps.

Keeping Lucy buried until the NR can conquer Coruscant would help a lot in depicting the strategic situation in the Galaxy more accurately, as would making changes to the GC maps to include more NR strongholds like Elom, Zeltros, Sarka, Vulpter, Lantillies, Contruum and Iktotch as well as increase the strategic value of Brentaal that is non-existent in some of the GCs where it is isolated instead of being the enormously important strategic chokepoint it is in-universe.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:32:48 AM by Vulcanus »

February 25, 2015, 12:05:14 PMReply #11

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2015, 12:05:14 PM »
New Imp ship are always nice, but the one I'd really like to see in the mod is the Dauntless-class. By the start of the mod's timeline in 6 ABY the New Republic had essentially cleaned the southern part of the Galaxy with brute power rather than some imaginary plot bunnies that only appear in this message board's Imperial fanboys' dreams.
Maybe the Dauntless played a part in that? It is a shame that the Empire starts all the first era GC's with overwhelming edge in firepower, not to mention the supposedly buried Lusankya, when the EGtW tells us of the New Republic conquering Kashyyyk, Denon and the entire Southern portion of the Galaxy in "brutal" battles where they dominated the Imps.

Keeping Lucy buried until the NR can conquer Coruscant would help a lot in depicting the strategic situation in the Galaxy more accurately, as would making changes to the GC maps to include more NR strongholds like Elom, Zeltros, Sarka, Vulpter, Lantillies, Contruum and Iktotch as well as increase the strategic value of Brentaal that is non-existent in some of the GCs where it is isolated instead of being the enormously important strategic chokepoint it is in-universe.

As much as I love the Imp factions, Vulcanus does make a fair point here. It would be nice to see Nantz too.

March 10, 2015, 05:03:34 PMReply #12

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 05:03:34 PM »
All right, I just red what was written here, and I have to be honest.
When I saw PA will have new ships I said "Yay, that's great" but when I saw the name Bellator I just couldn't found my words, jaws dropped to the ground...

About other matters...
As much as I love the Imp factions, Vulcanus does make a fair point here. It would be nice to see Nantz too.
Yep, I totally agree too! The IR(-as it currently is-) is too OP in Era 1. I really have a hard time to lose Issard.

Before I forget, somewhere I red an excellent solution for the Jerec autoresolve trouble. Give the Vengeance for it's captain, name Jerec a ground hero, and give him the ability to train dark Jedis at his location
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 10, 2015, 05:26:02 PMReply #13

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 05:26:02 PM »

I don't know that it's "a shame" that the IR starts with the edge it has - keep in mind that while you're right, the NR was winning victories through military power at this time, it was essentially the entire NR fleet at the time fighting with a handful of IR sector fleets, not the combined might of the Imperial Navy as a whole, which numbered 20,000+ Star Destroyers at this time.  Most of the IR Navy was busy maintaining order or being held in reserve by various Moffs/Grand Admirals/Warlords who were trying to slice out their own pieces of the pie rather than fighting the NR's advance.  That said, I wouldn't mind the Dauntless being introduced for the NR, nor a slight reworking of the map as you mention.

I really, really like the idea of the Lusankya being buried and spawning in space when Coruscant gets captured - the only problem would be that era 1 would need to be reworked a bit.

March 10, 2015, 11:03:25 PMReply #14

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 11:03:25 PM »
All right, I just red what was written here, and I have to be honest.
When I saw PA will have new ships I said "Yay, that's great" but when I saw the name Bellator I just couldn't found my words, jaws dropped to the ground...

About other matters...Yep, I totally agree too! The IR(-as it currently is-) is too OP in Era 1. I really have a hard time to lose Issard.

Before I forget, somewhere I red an excellent solution for the Jerec autoresolve trouble. Give the Vengeance for it's captain, name Jerec a ground hero, and give him the ability to train dark Jedis at his location

Since Bellators definitely existed, but never really showed up in anything, it kinda makes sense.  The way Corey & Co. did the PA, the Bellator most definitely fits in more with a PA type fleet (lighter powered, but faster with more fighter screening ability) than it does with the mainline IR.

March 11, 2015, 04:21:30 AMReply #15

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2015, 04:21:30 AM »
Indeed, the bellator fits PA strategy well

March 11, 2015, 06:24:30 PMReply #16

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 06:24:30 PM »
Keeping Lucy buried until the NR can conquer Coruscant would help a lot in depicting the strategic situation in the Galaxy more accurately...
I really, really like the idea of the Lusankya being buried and spawning in space when Coruscant gets captured - the only problem would be that era 1 would need to be reworked a bit.
I think that wouldn't simply need a remake. It would completely break the enjoyment as the IR. What I mean is you don't have to simply lose an Executor-class, but first you should also lure an opposing fraction to Coruscant, and let one of your best paying world be overtaken... Even if it would make complete sense by Lucasarts canon, it would definitely not fit the gameplay of the EaW.
Maybe that would be a cool solution for this problem that the IR starts the GC with a mission called: The siege of Coruscant, where you have to hold up the NR long enough to let the Lusankya to take off, and leave the planet, this way you feel like you have lost nothing, thinking that "hell yeah, this mod rocks!" while also increasing accuracy and giving an enjoyable mission for us.
It needs nothing fancy, just giving some basic orders to retreat to the next defense line, hold the line for some time, blah blah blah...
What do you think? am I right, or am I right?
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 12, 2015, 04:13:26 AMReply #17

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 04:13:26 AM »
I don't know that it's "a shame" that the IR starts with the edge it has - keep in mind that while you're right, the NR was winning victories through military power at this time, it was essentially the entire NR fleet at the time fighting with a handful of IR sector fleets, not the combined might of the Imperial Navy as a whole, which numbered 20,000+ Star Destroyers at this time.  Most of the IR Navy was busy maintaining order or being held in reserve by various Moffs/Grand Admirals/Warlords who were trying to slice out their own pieces of the pie rather than fighting the NR's advance.  That said, I wouldn't mind the Dauntless being introduced for the NR, nor a slight reworking of the map as you mention.

You really think the Imp Fleet was still 20,000+ at this point? Starting with the 25,000 at its best figure, it had lost Zsinj's fleet that was reportedly the largest in the Empire (correct me if I'm wrong, going by memory). It also lost the entire Outer Rim command from Delvardus, Harrsk and Kaine defecting as Warlords. Teradoc's strength we don't know, but it was cut off from the Empire, so no help from there. Add all the minor warlords that self-destroyed or were isolated whose power was measured in dozens of Star Destroyers each individually and you can easily cut off another thousand or two. Fortress worlds like Rothana and Gyndine were abandoned because they couldn't be defended. Everywhere individual systems and sectors declared independence, forcing much of the remaining fleet assets to remain in system patrol. In addition to that the most talented Imperial commanders had become Warlords, were assassinated or defected to the New Republic, leaving the Imps seriously lacking in leadership.

All this combined with the fact that the Empire was beaten decisively multiple times for two years before the mod's start, I find it very hard to believe that the Imperial Starfleet could at this point even muster a fleet that matched the New Republic fleet in power 1-on-1. Compared to the Thrawn and Shadow Hand campaigns when the Empire actually managed to achieve territorial gains over the NR, I would argue that the Empire was militarily the weakest in Era 1 when it kept losing all conventional military engagements against the NR.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:19:50 AM by Vulcanus »

March 12, 2015, 04:39:43 AMReply #18

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 04:39:43 AM »
You really think the Imp Fleet was still 20,000+ at this point? Starting with the 25,000 at its best figure, it had lost Zsinj's fleet that was reportedly the largest in the Empire (correct me if I'm wrong, going by memory). It also lost the entire Outer Rim command from Delvardus, Harrsk and Kaine defecting as Warlords. Teradoc's strength we don't know, but it was cut off from the Empire, so no help from there. Add all the minor warlords that self-destroyed or were isolated whose power was measured in dozens of Star Destroyers each individually and you can easily cut off another thousand or two. Fortress worlds like Rothana and Gyndine were abandoned because they couldn't be defended. Everywhere individual systems and sectors declared independence, forcing much of the remaining fleet assets to remain in system patrol. In addition to that the most talented Imperial commanders had become Warlords, were assassinated or defected to the New Republic, leaving the Imps seriously lacking in leadership.

Fair points - I was thinking regarding the SD numbers in immediately post-Endor terms, not the situation, say, 2ish years later.  The Empire (as defined by systems still responding to Coruscant's commands) would've been significantly weaker by this point, very true.  However, considering that the NR was fighting the various Warlords and splinter groups as well as the Empire under Pestage/Isard, I'd expect that the overall military match-up was still slanted significantly in the favor of the Imperials/ex-Imperials, with the breakdown in the chain of command being what really undid them as it let the NR devour them piecemeal.

All this combined with the fact that the Empire was beaten decisively multiple times for two years before the mod's start, I find it very hard to believe that the Imperial Starfleet could at this point even muster a fleet that matched the New Republic fleet in power 1-on-1. Compared to the Thrawn and Shadow Hand campaigns when the Empire actually managed to achieve territorial gains over the NR, I would argue that the Empire was militarily the weakest in Era 1 when it kept losing all conventional military engagements against the NR.

Thrawn was actually outnumbered and outgunned until picking up the Katana fleet and cloning tanks - keep in mind that his foremost objectives in Heir to the Empire and Dark Force Rising were getting crews and ships (NR controlled 3/4s of the prior Empire at this point).  That he was able to keep the NR on the defensive despite this was a testament to his strategic brilliance, not the resources he had at his command, which early on was only a handful of Star Destroyer groups.  As for Shadow Hand... well, for one, that entire campaign is poorly written with little grasp of the big picture, so it's hard to say what the overall military situation really was from a semi-realistic continuity perspective.  Yes, Coruscant falls, yes, Mon Cal is attacked, yes, it's presented as the Rebellion part two, but I've always felt that it was really the sudden rush of droid ships and superweapons out of the Deep Core catching the NR off-guard while it was still recovering from Thrawn's campaigns that allowed the gains in Shadow Hand, rather than a return to the Empire actually having more resources overall.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 04:42:49 AM by Pali »

March 12, 2015, 07:07:03 AMReply #19

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 07:07:03 AM »
Well the main thing with SH was all tge Imp factions were united under 1 banner. Piecemeal the IR factions didn't equal the NR in firepower but together they still massively outgunned the NR due to nearly their entire economybeing ddevoted to war. Also Thrawns campaign destroyed 10% and wounded 30% of the total NR forces, that is a nightmare casualty rate. Add to this the supetweapons and the NR forces being deployedto the rim when SH eerupted from the Deep Core set the stage for the year of disasters

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!