Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Camera debris issues and Assault Frigates  (Read 1585 times)

February 07, 2015, 02:09:17 AM

Offline henrythekittie

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Camera debris issues and Assault Frigates
« on: February 07, 2015, 02:09:17 AM »
Hey folks,

I've noticed that there seems to be an issue associated with the camera and debris.  Normally, whenever you zoom in on a ship you have the mouse over, it'll zoom in on that selected ship, and proceed to follow it.  Great fun when you want to watch your little fighters zoom around.

But for some reason it's treating debris from capital ships as something that should be zoomed in upon and tracked.  I'll try to zoom in on my lovely ISD, and instead get an eyeful of slightly less attractive debris.

Also, at least one of the debris models is larger than the capital ships that it's spawning from.

I think Assault Frigates could use a once over, since I think they're overpowered, and their Force Projection ability is slightly broken.  First, their bombard ability allows a single Assault Frigate to completely decimate a basic, un-upgraded world in 75 seconds.  While that might not seem like much, a group of five can do it in 15 seconds, and with their fast speed and Force Project creating decoys, it's almost impossible for a New Republic player to defend against a strike team of bombarding Assault Frigates.  There doesn't seem to be a good counter for this either, because there is no way to quickly destroy the ships, or to prevent the world from taking damage (like with some sort of planetary shield, or with an ability like in vanilla Sins where a Starbase can prevent the loss of a planet by bombardment).

I'm not sure what a good balanced solution would be, but the first thing that comes to mind is instead of it being a 20 DPS ability with a 60 second cooldown, why not make it a straight 20 damage ability with a 6 second cooldown?  Something along those lines?  It would still make it a worthwhile addition to a bombard fleet, but wouldn't allow you to quickly annihilate a planet with only a few ships.  Or, how about making it an aura ability that enhances the damage of any other ship's natural bombardment damage?  I don't know, just tossing out some ideas.

EDIT:  After doing a little more research, this applies to any ship with the Orbital Bombardment ability (I apologize for singling out the poor Assault Frigates).  I compared a Victory 2 to 3 ISD Command 1s, and the single Victory was outpacing the three larger ships for bombardment damage, simply because of the Orbital Bombardment ability.

Force Projection is broken because the decoys can spawn real fighters that do real damage.  While it may only be 2 fighters, that can still ruin someone's day in great enough numbers.

I'll see if I come across any more issues, hope this helps!

Henrythekittie
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 02:38:49 AM by henrythekittie »

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!