Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Minor Faction Playability (Re: Future Factions (Split from Choose Your Side)  (Read 4957 times)

October 26, 2014, 07:20:04 PM

KommissarReb

If I may add my two cents, I would like to say that I would like to see a scenario with minor militia factions like the Hapes Consortium.

Now I did read all of the previous comments, and I know that you guys are opposed to my not-so original idea, but hear me out. I would think that there are some of us who would like to play as a minor faction like the Hapes just to see what its like to be a minor power. It doesn't need to be every single scenario, but make them available in one GC. You could make it so they are unplayable in skirmish if you want.

My reason for wanting to be the Hapes? Well, they are one of my favorite Star Wars factions, and I thought it would be cool if I could be them at least once. If you wont add them in ICW because the mod is getting too big and unstable, I understand (I've been playing it, and it lags like hell and the game window constantly minimizes while I'm playing) But do you suppose a separate mod made specifically for this purpose could be made? A mod where people can play as any faction they wish? I cannot simply fathom why people are opposed to allowing people to try playing as the underpowered underdogs. I find it a challenge!

This is just my opinion, so I hope you don't hate me, ban me from posting, or send me a flesh-eating Ebola-infected virus via my email provided. I just want to add some feedback.

October 26, 2014, 07:38:34 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Keep in mind that this is the subforum for Ascendancy, which already has the Hapans and Ssi-Ruuvi as "full" factions. ICW is the section below.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 26, 2014, 08:13:21 PMReply #2

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
If you wont add them in ICW because the mod is getting too big and unstable, I understand (I've been playing it, and it lags like hell and the game window constantly minimizes while I'm playing)

I doubt that is ICW's fault... I've put literally hundreds of hours of playtime into ICW, and neither lag nor minimizing have been problems.  An occasional exception error causing a CTD shows up here and there, but rarely.

October 26, 2014, 08:24:12 PMReply #3

KommissarReb

Keep in mind that this is the subforum for Ascendancy, which already has the Hapans and Ssi-Ruuvi as "full" factions. ICW is the section below.

Oh man...I feel like a tard.  :o Well, I don't have SoaSE, and I was making a reference to the EaW: FoC mod Imperial Civil War.

I doubt that is ICW's fault... I've put literally hundreds of hours of playtime into ICW, and neither lag nor minimizing have been problems.  An occasional exception error causing a CTD shows up here and there, but rarely.

Its likely that its my computer. I've had it since the very early 2000's, and its the only computer I have that is capable of running the Forces of Corruption expansion pack for Empire at War. It has a lot of flaky crap that I put up with. For instance; I usually load up the game and then go grab a snack, then come back 20 minutes later just to see its still at the second loading screen.  :(

Sorry for the misplaced post. Next time I'll read the forum and thread titles. I thought this was all EaW stuff.

October 27, 2014, 02:41:43 AMReply #4

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
:( Been there on the crappy computer myself, is no fun.

October 27, 2014, 05:23:30 AMReply #5

Offline KissMyWookiee

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • The Empire will always strike back
    • View Profile
If I may add my two cents, I would like to say that I would like to see a scenario with minor militia factions like the Hapes Consortium.

Now I did read all of the previous comments, and I know that you guys are opposed to my not-so original idea, but hear me out. I would think that there are some of us who would like to play as a minor faction like the Hapes just to see what its like to be a minor power. It doesn't need to be every single scenario, but make them available in one GC. You could make it so they are unplayable in skirmish if you want.

My reason for wanting to be the Hapes? Well, they are one of my favorite Star Wars factions, and I thought it would be cool if I could be them at least once. If you wont add them in ICW because the mod is getting too big and unstable, I understand (I've been playing it, and it lags like hell and the game window constantly minimizes while I'm playing) But do you suppose a separate mod made specifically for this purpose could be made? A mod where people can play as any faction they wish? I cannot simply fathom why people are opposed to allowing people to try playing as the underpowered underdogs. I find it a challenge!

This is just my opinion, so I hope you don't hate me, ban me from posting, or send me a flesh-eating Ebola-infected virus via my email provided. I just want to add some feedback.

I agree with this. Although I'd probably settle for having unlimited buildable Battle Dragons and Nova Battle Cruisers if you manage to conquer any of the Consortium planets. OTOH, I don't think the Hapan land forces have been fleshed out enough to justify the separate playable faction treatment.

EDIT: wrong forum. Thought this was for ICW. Haha.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 05:25:01 AM by KissMyWookiee »

October 27, 2014, 09:35:24 AMReply #6

Offline jordanthejq12

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-1
  • RIP, Expanded Universe. You will be missed.
    • View Profile
There are submods that flesh out the Yevetha and Hapans pretty nicely, although much of it would seem to be conjectural, especially in the case of Hapes, which lacks unique ground troops. I think they're worth a look.
"Show the same loyalty you have in the past, Mandalore. If there is a Mandalorian crusade, let it be for something that will carry your people's memory into the future, so when the time comes when there are no more Mandalorians, than at least their honor will remain."
--Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

October 27, 2014, 12:51:04 PMReply #7

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
I always was rather fond of the Yevetha.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

October 27, 2014, 04:10:22 PMReply #8

KommissarReb

Thanks for moving my post & replies. Anyway, I did look all over FileFront for a mod that adds the Hapes Consortium and couldn't find one. Am I looking in the wrong place?

As for Hapan ground troops...maybe something could be done after a look at Wookieepedia. That's probably the best place to look for information.

October 27, 2014, 04:53:15 PMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
They're referring to community-made submods for ICW, which you can find on this forum. Honestly looking for anything on Filefront since like 2011 probably won't get you anywhere.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 28, 2014, 01:33:45 PMReply #10

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-4
    • View Profile
Yeah, Filefront hasn't been relevant for quite a few years now.

October 28, 2014, 07:39:17 PMReply #11

KommissarReb

There are submods that flesh out the Yevetha and Hapans pretty nicely, although much of it would seem to be conjectural, especially in the case of Hapes, which lacks unique ground troops. I think they're worth a look.

Okay, after a bit of digging, I managed to find some threads under the Imperial Civil War Community Mods subforum that directed me to XML downloads. Was this what you meant? I was kinda hoping for a minimod that adds the factions rather than try to figure out how to edit XML files (which I have no clue how to do)

About FileFront...it was active for a while up until 2012. I remember seeing activity back in 2011 (when I registered as "Psycho_Marine") No clue what happened, but its sad to see its practically dead.

October 28, 2014, 08:22:54 PMReply #12

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
You don't have to edit anything, just download the files that say they do the stuff you want (this thread in this case: http://thrawnsrevenge.com/forums/index.php?topic=4920.0). IT's XML files because that's what people had to edit to create the mods. Any mod is going to require you downloading XML files, among other things, since that's where the chanegs are. You just need to install it.

Filefront died because it was a godawful service. It was sold back and forth like 3 times, and server issues made it impossible to upload or change files. For about 2-3 years before it died, it was de facto administrated by Thrawn's Revenge staff pretty much, since Enceladus and Codeuser were the only active editors/file approvers there, and the hoops they had to jump through were ridiculous.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 12:01:58 AM by Corey »

October 28, 2014, 10:12:27 PMReply #13

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Filefront was cool when it originally worked though.  Yeah, towards the end it was horrible, but at teh beginning, I liked it.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

October 29, 2014, 06:55:50 AMReply #14

KommissarReb

You don't have to edit anything, just download the files that say they do the stuff you want (this thread in this case: http://thrawnsrevenge.com/forums/index.php?topic=4920.0). IT's XML files because that's what people had to edit to create the mods. Any mod is going to require you downloading XML files, among other things, since that's where the chanegs are. You just need to install it.

Ah, thanks. I didn't know where to look. I did have a look around that forum, but I didn't want to spend hours reading every single post. I'll try this out!
Filefront died because it was a godawful service. It was sold back and forth like 3 times, and server issues made it impossible to upload or change files. For about 2-3 years before it died, it was de facto administrated by Thrawn's Revenge staff pretty much, since Enceladus and Codeuser were the only active editors/file approvers there, and the hoops they had to jump through were ridiculous.

Filefront was cool when it originally worked though.  Yeah, towards the end it was horrible, but at teh beginning, I liked it.

I guess I'm in denial that it went south. Its just sad to see a website like that meet such an unfortunate end, but then again that's what happens when they get involved in the business world.  :'( I use it a lot because there are good files still there, and its an easy website to navigate (save for all of the errors that screw with everything)

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!