Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Dev Diary #10: The Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium  (Read 7298 times)

July 09, 2014, 10:24:45 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Dev Diary #10: The Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium
« on: July 09, 2014, 10:24:45 AM »
The Ssi Ruuvi Imperium

If you missed it, you can read what it means to be a non-playable faction in Ascendancy in our post about the Hapes Consortium, the other one which has a lower concentration of space dinosaurs, by clicking here.

History & Culture

"It has been almost thirty years since the Ssi-ruuvi Imperium waged war in this section of the galaxy. In fact, our former masters were assessing more than just their tactics in the wake of their defeat." - Lwothin

For much of its history, the Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium remained isolated in their own star cluster, content to enslave less powerful species close by, chief among them the closely-related P'wecks. This isolation was partially the result of xenophobia, while the Ssi-Ruuk religious fear of dying away from consecrated ground also contributed heavily. In this isolation, the Ssi-Ruuk developed their own unique technology to power their droids and starships, a process named entechment by which they drained a being of its life energy. Resource scarcity drove the Imperium to become expansionist around the Battle of Endor, and upon taking Imperial prisoners from border worlds, they discovered that humans provided significantly larger amounts of energy. A deal with Emperor Palpatine had promised the Imperium several worlds and millions of entechable humans, however upon his death the Empire was no longer able to fulfil this deal, and the Imperium began an invasion into the Chiss Ascendancy and the known galaxy. The New Republic launched a counter-offensive after defeating the Imperium at Bakura, only to find the Ssi-Ruuvi fleet in shambles, the result the much more destructive theatre of war between the Chiss forces and the Imperium; Jagged Fel indicated the occurance of several skirmishes between the Chiss and the Imperium. Although it would take decades, the Imperium recovered and, under the influence of Yuuzhan Vong infiltrators, launched another offensive in 28ABY which was ultimately thwarted by the Galactic Alliance and a P'weck slave revolt.

Gameplay

"The gulfs of space are not home to us and neither are the barren worlds. The worlds of fire and the worlds of ice are not home to us. Where oxygen burns and water flows, where carbon bonds and ozone protects—there we plant our roots. The seed of our species is fertile; all we require is the soil in which to plant it." - The Keeramak, Grand Shreeftut of the Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium

Although in many ways outclassed by the other factions, the Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium can still pose a major threat if left to expand unchecked. Unlike other factions, they are able to mass produce their Swarm Droid fighters without concern for supply levels. The Imperium is at its strongest when it has access to enemy populations to entech; several Ssi-Ruuvi ships have the ability to target planets, allied or enemy, and increase their own power at the expense of the local population. What this means is that if they are able to successfully perform raids or assault enemy planets, they are able to provide a considerable power bonus to their ships.

Available Units
Fighters: Swarm Droid, V'sett Fighter
Frigates: D'Kee Lander, Fw'sen Picket, Wurrif
Cruisers: Lwhekk Manufacturing Ship, Sh'ner
Capital Ships: Shree

Follow Ascendancy

Forums - Facebook - Steam Group - Youtube - Mod DB

« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 10:27:14 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 09, 2014, 12:00:43 PMReply #1

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Diary #10: The Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »
That first screen shot blew my mind.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

July 09, 2014, 12:50:02 PMReply #2

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 12:50:02 PM »
Nailed it!
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

July 09, 2014, 01:37:00 PMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
Velociraptors in space! Now available at a galaxy  near you! Would love if these guys made an appearance in 2.2 as well
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 09, 2014, 02:09:22 PMReply #4

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:22 PM »
I knew I was right.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 09, 2014, 02:11:57 PMReply #5

Offline Waffle Wagon

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:11:57 PM »
Aww yeah, theropods with lasers! Those screenshots are fantastic. The ships look amazing. Everything is amazing!

You guys kinda gave it away with the Syndic reskin description on Moddb, wonder if anyone else caught that.

July 09, 2014, 02:22:47 PMReply #6

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:22:47 PM »
Aww yeah, theropods with lasers! Those screenshots are fantastic. The ships look amazing. Everything is amazing!

You guys kinda gave it away with the Syndic reskin description on Moddb, wonder if anyone else caught that.

Now we just need Jeff Goldblum to start on chaos and we're set! Life finds a way

July 09, 2014, 02:23:39 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 02:23:39 PM »

Didn't even know they had mentioned it on moddb myself...guess that shows how often I look for mods for anything anymore.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 09, 2014, 02:26:50 PMReply #8

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:26:50 PM »
Didn't even know they had mentioned it on moddb myself...guess that shows how often I look for mods for anything anymore.

Yes they droppedthat ssubtle hint

July 09, 2014, 04:08:19 PMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 04:08:19 PM »
We've actually thrown in references to the Vong and Ssi-Ruuvi pretty consistently since the mod started, though the Syndic stuff may have been the first time the Ssi Ruuk have been mentioned by name. Either way, I've really wanted to include them in stuff for a really long time, and have never really been able to work it in. Entechment just seems like a pretty interesting thing we can try to make mechanics out of.

Oh, and I also always wanted to make them have deep purple lasers and engine glows. I just think it looks cool.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 09, 2014, 05:16:49 PMReply #10

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 05:16:49 PM »
Any chance they"ll be playable in the distant future? Between the Ssi Ruuk, Yevetha, Yuuzhan Vong, Warlords and Hapans the npcs are quite diverse and well represented.  Very well done all these years

July 10, 2014, 09:32:53 AMReply #11

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 09:32:53 AM »
Bakurans, be glad! The joy that we bring goes beyond mere sensory happiness. Yours is the privilege of assisting the Ssi-Ruuk to liberate the other worlds of the galaxy. You are the first, the spearhead. What an honor!

Entechment with a smile!

Fantastic work!

July 10, 2014, 09:43:41 AMReply #12

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:43:41 AM »
Bakurans, be glad! The joy that we bring goes beyond mere sensory happiness. Yours is the privilege of assisting the Ssi-Ruuk to liberate the other worlds of the galaxy. You are the first, the spearhead. What an honor!

Entechment with a smile!

Fantastic work!

Gotta love their PR department

July 10, 2014, 05:22:07 PMReply #13

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 05:22:07 PM »
Any chance they"ll be playable in the distant future? Between the Ssi Ruuk, Yevetha, Yuuzhan Vong, Warlords and Hapans the npcs are quite diverse and well represented.  Very well done all these years

No such things as the Warlords since the Remnant itself can represent every Imperial splinter. We may do the Thrustship to include it in militia, but we have no plans to make a Yevethan faction; that's just the Empire with one different unit. We haven't said anything about the Vong.

July 10, 2014, 07:11:53 PMReply #14

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
No such things as the Warlords since the Remnant itself can represent every Imperial splinter. We may do the Thrustship to include it in militia, but we have no plans to make a Yevethan faction; that's just the Empire with one different unit. We haven't said anything about the Vong.

Oh come on, the Yevetha are way more diverse!  They also have the d type fighter! See 2 whole units!

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!