Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Thinking about impulse buying SOASE:R. Few questions  (Read 3733 times)

July 03, 2014, 03:49:16 AM

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Thinking about impulse buying SOASE:R. Few questions
« on: July 03, 2014, 03:49:16 AM »
So this game has interested me since I actually decided to look into it recently. I have a few random questions that may or may not be difficult to answer. Any help would be appreciated.

The games website states that I need a graphics card of at least
•256 MB DirectX 9.0c Compatible Video Card w/Pixel Shader 3.0 Support (AMD Radeon X1650 / Nvidia* 6800 or Better)

I searched my computer and found that I have a Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000.

The thing is that I have no idea if what I have compares to what they list. I can run Empire at War and mods like TR and RaW without difficulty most of the time if that reference means anything.

The second thing is that I was looking to buy this on Amazon (really annoyed that I just missed the steam summer sale, wish I would have seen it sooner). However, it ships from the UK (I'm in the U.S.). It says the shipping rate is $3 but that it might be higher by an unknown amount since it's an international shipment. I realize this is rather specific and kind of random, but if anyone can reassure me that this route should go well that would be great. I would rather buy it for $18 on Amazon than spend $40 elsewhere. Alternatively, if you guys know somewhere I can get it for ~$20 that would be awesome.

Thanks for any and all info. The game seems like fun but I think I will pass on it until a price drop/sale if $40 is the only option.

July 03, 2014, 04:23:21 AMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking about impulse buying SOASE:R. Few questions
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 04:23:21 AM »
If you're able to run EaW/ICW, you shouldn't have any real problems running Sins/Ascendancy. You'd just have to do it on low detail, since that's an integrated graphics card which aren't especially great.

As far as where you're buying it, you shouldn't need to buy it from anywhere that needs to ship anything. As far as I'm aware, the game is only available via digital download. It may be $40 on Steam now, but it goes on sale pretty often. At least once a month it seems like, for prices between 7.99 and 20.00. The Steam summer sale was actually the second time it was on sale in June.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 03, 2014, 05:50:55 AMReply #2

Offline Crisiss

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-3
  • The weak deserve their fate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:50:55 AM »
If you're able to run EaW/ICW, you shouldn't have any real problems running Sins/Ascendancy. You'd just have to do it on low detail, since that's an integrated graphics card which aren't especially great.

As far as where you're buying it, you shouldn't need to buy it from anywhere that needs to ship anything. As far as I'm aware, the game is only available via digital download. It may be $40 on Steam now, but it goes on sale pretty often. At least once a month it seems like, for prices between 7.99 and 20.00. The Steam summer sale was actually the second time it was on sale in June.

I run integrated graphics, I can run everything on Very High. I can max settings on EaW too if I go through the bullshit with certain cards not being allowed to turn certain things up past a certain point, which I think I already did. Sin's only real issue is the fact that it's single core and late game lag gets bad no matter what your machine specs are.

Corey is right though, DO NOT BUY IT AT FULL PRICE. It went on sale once at the end of may and then multiple times in June. I grabbed the game and all DLC for like $10 total a while ago. Buy it digital, also.

If you want to be kept up to date on sales just google "Sins of a solar empire sales" every so often and you should get something. Otherwise, check /r/gamedeals on reddit every so often.

You should be able to run the mod fine if Ascendancy is going to be anything similar in relation to optimization to Sins of a Galactic Empire or Sins of the Prophets. Even so, Sins isn't a hard game to run at all.
"Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead." - Revan

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - Winston Churchill

"Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

"We have drones and satellites and missiles that can pick a mosquito off a target's nose from three thousand miles away. Why do we have these things? Because the military gets an obscene budget every year and they spend it finding the best possible way to kill every living thing they can fit in a blast radius."

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." -General George S. Patton

July 03, 2014, 11:47:40 AMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »
As others have commented, Intel 4000 is one of the higher level integrated Intel graphics.  It is fully DX9.0c hardware level compatible.  I do run Sins on one of my laptops that have this same hardware, and it runs just fine.  You won't be able to max out all settings, but you will be able to run above the minimum.  The latest generation integrated graphics are heads and tales above what they were capable of even just 5 years ago.  The Intel 4000 and even moreso the AMD APU's actually deliver performance that is capable of playing most games at 1080p on lowest settings, and games that aren't as graphically intensive (such as SOASE:R since the engine is quite a few years old now) can actually raise the settings up a bit and still be playable.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 03, 2014, 04:59:09 PMReply #4

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 04:59:09 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep an eye out for sales, and pick it up next chance that I get.

July 03, 2014, 09:51:11 PMReply #5

Offline Zsinj

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »
If you put it on your wishlist on Steam then Steam will notify you when it goes on sale. I picked it up during the Steam Summer Sale at about 80% off.
"No, I never really would have asked you to kiss him."―Han Solo, to Chewbacca

July 04, 2014, 05:59:46 AMReply #6

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 05:59:46 AM »
Here is a request for you guys: if it goes on sale, please notify of it in this thread  :) .

July 04, 2014, 12:57:14 PMReply #7

Offline Zsinj

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 12:57:14 PM »
Sure thing!
"No, I never really would have asked you to kiss him."―Han Solo, to Chewbacca

July 05, 2014, 12:08:13 PMReply #8

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2014, 12:08:13 PM »
You can get it on Amazon for $15 + shipping (which was $4 in my case) right now. However, it ships from the UK and it said it would take 18-26 business days which is comical considering all they are  doing is shipping a steam code (would be a lot easier if they just emailed it).

At any rate, I'm keeping an eye on several gaming download sites and will let you guys know if any of them have a sale.

July 30, 2014, 11:34:38 AMReply #9

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »
GamersGate has it for $14 right now but only for the next 20 hours. Now is your chance if you're interested in the game.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SOSER/sins-of-a-solar-empire-rebellion

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!