Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Pentastar Alignment Megathread  (Read 67136 times)

July 02, 2014, 04:16:01 PMReply #20

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Pentastar Alignment Megathread
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2014, 04:16:01 PM »
I would honestly like to see something more unique to them. Like maybe more of the slapdash ships they had and say if they survive the 3rd era that they pick up alot of the IR units like say the TIE Drones. as the one thing with teh alignment they never let anything go on the scrapheap, and maybe introduceing Pellaeon?

Pellaeon is a hero already for the IR in 2 different eras.

Unless of course you mean Pellaeon Star Destroyer, in which case you're talking about a ship designed something like 80 years after the end of this mods timeframe.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 02, 2014, 08:05:19 PMReply #21

Offline gerfand

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 08:05:19 PM »
I like the way that PA is a "Galact Republic" in the Imperial stage...
and they have the best Frigate Factory(you don't need to wait too long to kill it)
but the problems are:

-Land Sucks: ok that it should happens because of the old tech, but some units are much underpowered, or overpowered:
the AT-AP insted of being a Anti-vehicle unit, its don't have the fire power to kill inf;
the Swap Speeder is the best anti-inf unit, I think that a bit less DPS and HP would be very good for other factions

-Space is very OP, from early to late Game:
well you get two SSD, and can make more and more Praetors
the Reaper is the SSD that you should start w/, and the Vengeance should be a buildable one;

EDIT: can you put the AT-ET for them, a bit worst against vehicles than a AT-AT, but more like a Mult-Role Siege Unit
EDIT2: Munificents should get at least a Fighters squad
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:10:05 PM by gerfand »

July 02, 2014, 10:51:14 PMReply #22

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
I like the way that PA is a "Galact Republic" in the Imperial stage...
and they have the best Frigate Factory(you don't need to wait too long to kill it)
but the problems are:

-Land Sucks: ok that it should happens because of the old tech, but some units are much underpowered, or overpowered:
the AT-AP insted of being a Anti-vehicle unit, its don't have the fire power to kill inf;
the Swap Speeder is the best anti-inf unit, I think that a bit less DPS and HP would be very good for other factions

-Space is very OP, from early to late Game:
well you get two SSD, and can make more and more Praetors
the Reaper is the SSD that you should start w/, and the Vengeance should be a buildable one;

EDIT: can you put the AT-ET for them, a bit worst against vehicles than a AT-AT, but more like a Mult-Role Siege Unit
EDIT2: Munificents should get at least a Fighters squad

Perhaps I can address some of these concerns,

As to the republic aspect, many older ships were allocated to the Outer Rim for service as newer models came online in core, inner and mid rims. Ground was the same way, while I do feel the Hailfires are a bit OP, they also have high cost and no defense against air as a balance and are fragile to turbos. I feel the PA is decently balanced on Land as their units allow for tailored gameplay, IE, you like heavy slower attack, they have options, as do fast and cheap. They are a middle ground or sampling of IR and NR strategies.
Space, yes giving two SSDs free to boot is pretty impressive firepower, however those ships are heroes and cannot be replaced, thus causing a need for care of them as unlike the IR they can't just build new ones. The Praetors are powerful but very vulnerable to bombers and more maneuverable ships and are also quite expensive as a balance. As Jerec was allied with the PA from the beginning and had his SSD before that it makes little sense to have the Vengeance buildable.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 03, 2014, 12:00:37 AMReply #23

Solarflare43

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 12:00:37 AM »
It would be quite good if they could salvage units and ships

July 03, 2014, 12:41:59 PMReply #24

Offline gerfand

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2014, 12:41:59 PM »
Perhaps I can address some of these concerns,

As to the republic aspect, many older ships were allocated to the Outer Rim for service as newer models came online in core, inner and mid rims. Ground was the same way, while I do feel the Hailfires are a bit OP, they also have high cost and no defense against air as a balance and are fragile to turbos. I feel the PA is decently balanced on Land as their units allow for tailored gameplay, IE, you like heavy slower attack, they have options, as do fast and cheap. They are a middle ground or sampling of IR and NR strategies.
Space, yes giving two SSDs free to boot is pretty impressive firepower, however those ships are heroes and cannot be replaced, thus causing a need for care of them as unlike the IR they can't just build new ones. The Praetors are powerful but very vulnerable to bombers and more maneuverable ships and are also quite expensive as a balance. As Jerec was allied with the PA from the beginning and had his SSD before that it makes little sense to have the Vengeance buildable.
but, while they have some units like Hailfires, they have some useless units like the AT-AP and the "Pirate" skif for example...
I just calling for a better balance for those units:
the AT-AP could get a better anti-vehicle damage, and the skif could get a bunch of troopers that could fire
In Space they get two hero SSD... of course you will not be able to re-build them if you lose them, but you can use both to get a bunch of planets, because no fleet will be able to destroy them.
for Praetors, while they are very vulnerable to bombers, if you just throw some IPV's w/ they will be unstoppable

July 03, 2014, 01:07:38 PMReply #25

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2014, 01:07:38 PM »
but, while they have some units like Hailfires, they have some useless units like the AT-AP and the "Pirate" skif for example...
I just calling for a better balance for those units:
the AT-AP could get a better anti-vehicle damage, and the skif could get a bunch of troopers that could fire
In Space they get two hero SSD... of course you will not be able to re-build them if you lose them, but you can use both to get a bunch of planets, because no fleet will be able to destroy them.
for Praetors, while they are very vulnerable to bombers, if you just throw some IPV's w/ they will be unstoppable

Not the case.  In space, if anything, the PA is the least overpowered.  The Praetor is inferior to the Phalanx and the IR also gets the Praetor in Era3, and SSD's in almost every other Era.  The EoTH fighters/bombers are also superior for the most part to the PA fighter/bombers.  And the NR is far, far superior.  Yes, the PA is powerful with the Praetors, but NR can easily counter a Praetor + IPV's.  It's all down to unit selection.  Yeah, if you send all Quasar carriers, the Praetor + IPV's is going to eat it.  But a few BAC's + Sacheens + MC90, and the IPV's get shredded by the BAC's which have enough shielding to withstand the short time within range of the Praetor, then they retreat being MUCH faster than the Praetor while all the bombers bend the Praetor over the table and make it cry like a little girl that just dropped her ice cream cone on the ground.

While this mod isn't designed around everyone having a DIRECT counter to every other ship like some games (Star Wars Rebellion), the various groups have been very well balanced and for the most part are quite competitive with each other.

On the ground, yes, the PA has useless units.  Just don't build them.  Just ignore them.  They're incredibly versatile without needing those units.  I dare say on the ground the PA is actually the MOST versatile of all the factions.  It is, IMO, what makes them fun, because on the ground they're so very different from the IR because of the A9 and Hailfires, however with the AT-AT they can if you choose emulate the IR.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 03, 2014, 07:46:27 PMReply #26

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 07:46:27 PM »
Indeed, well said

July 04, 2014, 10:10:34 PMReply #27

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 10:10:34 PM »
Apparently I am the only one who uses the AT-AP and the skiff, I just find the funny to use and they make a good job as ground garrison if used correctly, I once destroy an AT-AT with a skiff, just stay behind it and let it shoot hahahah
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

July 05, 2014, 12:18:35 AMReply #28

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2014, 12:18:35 AM »
Apparently I am the only one who uses the AT-AP and the skiff, I just find the funny to use and they make a good job as ground garrison if used correctly, I once destroy an AT-AT with a skiff, just stay behind it and let it shoot hahahah

I prefer the IFT-X for garrison.  Fast enough that you can do the same thing, constantly staying behind the AT-AT, but has shielding in case the AT-AT does get in a lucky shot.  2 squads of IFT-X, AT-AA's, a Hailfire, and Enforcers make for a very effective garrison.

July 05, 2014, 01:11:16 AMReply #29

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2014, 01:11:16 AM »
I prefer the IFT-X for garrison.  Fast enough that you can do the same thing, constantly staying behind the AT-AT, but has shielding in case the AT-AT does get in a lucky shot.  2 squads of IFT-X, AT-AA's, a Hailfire, and Enforcers make for a very effective garrison.

Don't forget Century Tanks if you are making a garrison. They are AMAZING and cheap, pack a wallop, and are equally effective against Infantry, Vehicles, and air units.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

July 05, 2014, 02:03:01 AMReply #30

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2014, 02:03:01 AM »
Don't forget Century Tanks if you are making a garrison. They are AMAZING and cheap, pack a wallop, and are equally effective against Infantry, Vehicles, and air units.

Tis also true.  They form a backbone of all my ground units, attacking or defense.  Cheap enough that it doesn't matter if you lose a few squads.

July 09, 2014, 10:31:28 AMReply #31

Offline gerfand

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 10:31:28 AM »
can PA colors be a bit more bright, its a bit hard to see them on Galact Map

July 09, 2014, 01:39:48 PMReply #32

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
Would like it if more of their units had the PA symbol emblazoned upon them

July 09, 2014, 02:10:40 PMReply #33

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 02:10:40 PM »
Would like it if more of their units had the PA symbol emblazoned upon them

I second this notion.

July 09, 2014, 02:25:17 PMReply #34

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 02:25:17 PM »
Shiny new decals for everybody!

July 09, 2014, 02:35:30 PMReply #35

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 02:35:30 PM »
Just need to make sure to avoid getting them scuffed up from hitting pieces of space fish.

July 09, 2014, 03:30:32 PMReply #36

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 03:30:32 PM »
Indeed

July 10, 2014, 04:55:15 AMReply #37

Offline Thrashia

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2014, 04:55:15 AM »
Something that I'd point out is the fact that during the PA era, even before Kaine died, he was forced to allow non-Human beings to enlist in the Imperial Military -- something that had been arguably taboo. The PA couldn't afford to be picky since it drastically needed skilled beings to throw inside of armor and behind blasters. To reflect this fact, and the influence that such men as Thrawn and Paelleon had on the PA, I'd appreciate seeing a non-human PA infantry unit. There's a well known picture of a Talz in stormtrooper armor, dating supposedly from near the Fel Empire era, but is not far off from what would have been seen during the middle of the early PA era.

So maybe a non-human infantry unit (Talz or some other?) that is armed with normal blaster rifles but has increased health?
"You may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, but the Empire will always strike back." - Gilad Pellaeon

C'baoth: "You doubt the power of the Force, Grand Admiral Thrawn?"
Thrawn: "Not at all. I merely present the problems you and the Force will have to solve if you continue with this course of action."

July 10, 2014, 10:20:58 AMReply #38

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 10:20:58 AM »
While that would be neat visually what would it add gameplay wise that isnt already there?

July 10, 2014, 12:38:34 PMReply #39

Offline Thrawnizator

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Very Handy Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:34 PM »
With all sides played I defo like PA most. It's most balanced of all, without possibility to spam fighters. I love EoH for obvious reason, but after initial problems with keeping the line when I get access to Furions, there is nothing AI can do to defeat me. Too easy.

What I would like to see is a tiny bit of variety in ships for PA. Tector in Era 4 and 5. Perhaps build-able Executor at Era 5.

As for planets. Bastion should really become a Bastion. It's just normal planet without anything special in space.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!