Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Diplomacy for ICW  (Read 59262 times)

April 15, 2017, 01:11:38 PMReply #60

Offline Director Krennic

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • I Made The Death Star!!! Also Tarkin Sucks
    • View Profile
Re: Diplomacy for ICW
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2017, 01:11:38 PM »
I tried downloading it but I can't find the launcher. Help please.
The power that we are dealing with here; is immeasurable

April 15, 2017, 02:53:16 PMReply #61

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2017, 02:53:16 PM »
I tried downloading it but I can't find the launcher. Help please.
I'm pretty sure its only for the base game not ICW
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 04, 2017, 06:17:11 PMReply #62

Offline RevanTheFireMage

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • "Rule through Fear of Aggression"
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »
I have a quick question, could you ever program it into the files where you can actually ally with another empire in the game? Like make it where you have all your diplomats at the enemy capital and have them have the ability to make an alliance with the other empire for let's say 150,000-200,000 credits? That's a high value but you could basically hard code it where all the other empire's units, buildings, and planets now are under the faction that purchased the ability, you could also tie this in with story elements. Such as how heroes could leave factions or new heroes could pop up based on their thoughts of the new alliance. And it would provide a precarious situation for the player as they have to save up all those credits while also keeping your territory locked down. This could be a major late game boost, but you could also implement it where AI factions could ally with other AI factions which as a player would leave me with a sense of dread.

This is only a thought and this sounds great in concept but it probably would be a nightmare to code, I don't know, I just wish EAW had more interaction and that your interactions towards other factions had a lot more weight. But it's whatever, your idea fr diplomacy sounds good! And I like the idea as a whole
"History is on the move, and those who cannot keep up, will be left behind"
"Fire Torpon Portedoes!"

May 05, 2017, 02:15:15 AMReply #63

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2017, 02:15:15 AM »
not possible. Diplomatic relations are set for factions as a whole.
We can set two factions to be allies, but then you can never change them to be enemies, and this is not even on a GC basis, but a global one.
If IR and NR are allies, they have to be allies in every single GC for example.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 05, 2017, 02:42:31 AMReply #64

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2017, 02:42:31 AM »
You actually can change it with LUA, but the bigger problem is that directly tagging factions as neutral or allied causes a lot of weird bugs, since the game wasn't designed with that kind of interaction in mind.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 05, 2017, 07:57:26 AMReply #65

Offline RevanTheFireMage

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • "Rule through Fear of Aggression"
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2017, 07:57:26 AM »
That's what I figured, EAW is a great game but it is severely limiting at times and I assumed that this was the case on how the factions were coded. Thanks for the answer
"History is on the move, and those who cannot keep up, will be left behind"
"Fire Torpon Portedoes!"

June 09, 2017, 02:24:57 PMReply #66

Offline renx215

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2017, 02:24:57 PM »
I know this may be a stretch, but if anyone has played star wars rebellion pc game (not FF board game), as the Empire and you had the death star in a sector, you got a boost on all planets. I understand we dont have those type of weapons, but maybe a fleet in a troublesome sector may boost influence.

February 10, 2018, 12:16:24 PMReply #67

Offline Skyline5gtr

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2018, 12:16:24 PM »
Would not make much sense

April 09, 2018, 09:39:55 PMReply #68

Offline AlyMar1994

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2018, 09:39:55 PM »
An interesting idea; I was missing the diplomacy feature from Rebellion when I first got Empire at War (and Forces of Corruption), and I remember seeing some commented out stuff in the XML files for it. Never got around to trying it, though. Seeing it in Imperial Civil War, if not already voted against earlier, would be interesting idea, too.

Everything seems to work fine, if you're still working on it. The AI tends to go for the same planet first on each of my games (generally testing on Origin of Corruption), but it could just be rotten luck as afterwards it seems completely random.

Nice job, Pox.

"Look, all I know is what they taught me in command school; and that is that there are certain rules in a war: Rule Number 1 is that young men die and Rule Number 2 is that doctors can't change Rule Number 1."

May 05, 2018, 06:26:35 PMReply #69

Offline High Admiral Ryne

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »
Is this still being considered?

May 05, 2018, 06:27:10 PMReply #70

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2018, 06:27:10 PM »
Not in this form. It wasn't especially fun or engaging.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

March 14, 2019, 04:12:33 PMReply #71

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2019, 04:12:33 PM »
To be honest, it seems the team is developing a much more sophisticated "diplomacy" system, by showing different kinds of war. You have the quasi-war of the PA sending small fleets to attack (which I'm really fond of as a concept, it just tests you while you're fending off the larger forces of other factions), and then the more violent actions of other factions.

On a related note, maybe faction aggression could die down if you don't fight them for a period of time? Would it be possible to have the enemy faction notice when you have fleets on the border, and thus force you to keep large fleets away from border systems? 

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!