Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Ship Names  (Read 1453 times)

March 29, 2014, 12:42:33 AM

Offline Tal Antilles

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Ship Names
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:42:33 AM »
How are ship names being created? From what I've noticed in Imperial Civil War, it seemed to be only those of canon ships. Sometimes there were a lot of repeats (probably due to a lack of canon names for some classes, ISD II comes to mind), and other times there were canon ship names missing from the lists (the example I noticed was the Virulence and the Avarice from the X-Wing book series). While it's ridiculous to expect Corey have everything read, I was wondering what the policy was on this. Perhaps some sourced community generation of names might be helpful?

Related note-How are planet names generated? Is there a list for each type of planet? Are the default planet types even in Ascendancy? Is it far to early to worry about either?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions!

March 29, 2014, 01:04:41 AMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Ship Names
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 01:04:41 AM »
For ICW, we stuck to the more prominent canon names, as well as some community suggestions from the "Name That Ship" thread. However, the way ship names worked in EaW was pretty stupid; it'd read them from the list essentially straight down, so you'd really only ever see the first 5 or 6 names. If people are particularly attached to having certain names in Ascendancy however, we're open to that, or just to community-generated ones which sound like they fit the faction.

For planets, in the randomly generated scenarios the names are randomly generated within a specific planet type, though when we make the scenarios we'll make sure the right planets are in the right spots with the right names. As for types, we're not quite sure what we'll need. A lot of the vanilla ones will, but some (Ferrous comes to mind) won't.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!