Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: GC strategy tips for share  (Read 23516 times)

June 19, 2014, 12:16:13 PMReply #40

Offline jordanthejq12

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-1
  • RIP, Expanded Universe. You will be missed.
    • View Profile
Re: GC strategy tips for share
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2014, 12:16:13 PM »
Well, you may or may not have Wedge, in which case you're probably in reasonably good shape, provided you keep him away from Pally (or a Sovereign). As the IR, one of my favorite tricks is a little lightning raid: jump Pally by himself in to where Wedge is. Superlaser Wedge. Jump out. You can do this with a Sovereign, too, any time there's a hero you want zapped quickly. (Of course, the SSD can sometimes stay there and dish out a hefty beating too.)
"Show the same loyalty you have in the past, Mandalore. If there is a Mandalorian crusade, let it be for something that will carry your people's memory into the future, so when the time comes when there are no more Mandalorians, than at least their honor will remain."
--Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

June 19, 2014, 02:39:08 PMReply #41

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »
This strategy is better known as the zip zap trap
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 21, 2014, 10:21:56 AMReply #42

Offline jordanthejq12

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-1
  • RIP, Expanded Universe. You will be missed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2014, 10:21:56 AM »
It even has a name? That's pretty sweet.
"Show the same loyalty you have in the past, Mandalore. If there is a Mandalorian crusade, let it be for something that will carry your people's memory into the future, so when the time comes when there are no more Mandalorians, than at least their honor will remain."
--Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

June 23, 2014, 02:43:38 AMReply #43

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2014, 02:43:38 AM »
It even has a name? That's pretty sweet.

All great strategies do.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 23, 2014, 01:47:13 PMReply #44

Offline RogueSignaler

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2014, 01:47:13 PM »
My general strategy is to start the game off with a pause. I take a moment to figure out which of my planets are hopelessly positioned, and sell everything on them. I then locate what I refer to as feed worlds, anything that I wont use to build actual troops, which is most. Sell their barracks and start building resource collectors on them. Once I am nearly out of resources, I un-pause and separate my capital ships from my frigates. Frigates are positioned along the edge of my area, and then I use my Capital ship fleet to begin a blitzkrieg on the enemy systems, clearing out the center of my space and then pushing the edges to form easy choke points. The space over planets is held by a few frigates while the capital ships push on until the main frigate fleets can take over holding the choke points.

Once I get my own SSD, battles turn to little more then them warping in with a mass of capital ships to guard the read/deploy fighters.

I hate ground battles, so my invasion fleet is just a mass of T4Bs (or similar) and auto-resolve until win. Not cost effective, but meh.

If an enemy Super ship shows up, I add any available frigates to my capital fleet, and using a recon ship, I drop a fleet into the blind spot. Sofar, the computer hasn't proven smart enough to ignore the mass of fighters that get dropped at the same time.

October 09, 2014, 09:39:48 PMReply #45

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »
I didn't checked this thread I started for quite some time, and now that I rereaded the whole stuff something got my attention:
There were absolutely no mention of strategies about ERA change tactics!
This gave me the inspiration to do one for every single side.
As a PA fav. player I start it with PA
Sign explanation:
RED GLOW: Hard Era, you have to be careful.
GREEN GLOW: Easy Era, you should use your time to strengthen your forces as much as you can before changing Era.
ORANGE GLOW: Medium to Hard Era, but should not have too much difficulty if you can use good tactics.
YELLOW GLOW: Something really important in the current Era. Pay attention to these informations, and always keep them in mind.
Pally is Palpatine, and not Palleon. just wanted to make sure there will be no misunderstanding...

Pentastar Alignment

Era 1
-First thing to do is to use the Kaine-Jerec duo to go from IR planet to IR planet to find and kill Issard ASAP(means:as soon as possible). Warning: DO NOT AUTORESOLVE! Jerec's autoresolve stats sucks. I don't take over those planets, just kill of everything in space, and then go to the next one until I find my target.
-In the meantime build up a massive economy and a solid border with the neighbors. I mean if there is an enemy planet what can attack 3 of mines, then I take it and build up the normal defensive structures I use. I don't tell specifically because I don't want to affect your own gameplay style and form it to mine, however I think it is not a surprise to anyone that all border planets must have at least one HV.gun(Hypervelocity Gun) on it.

Era 2
-This is your time to retreat with Kaine and Jerec to your own territory. Primary task: do NOT kill Thrawn, and hope the AI will not be an idiot, and get him killed.
-Now you have a good economic, and a solid frontier, and as an addon you don't have to fear from an Executor popping up out of nowhere, so it is time to strike. You really should start it with Zsinj. His empire can be reached from Anx Minor, and can easily be defended after taking it out(I mean both all of his starting planets, and even every single one after conquering it in case you have to redirect your forces suddenly. You will get a border planet with the NR, and 1-2 with the IR, but you will have some very important planets including the Corporate Sector, so you will be able to build those Lucrehulks if you can finish conquering it.
-After you have the Zsinj planets, it's time to regroup your offensive fleet to Borosk, and start to do exactly the same thing with the EotH... the other reason to finish off Zsinj first is because the EotH will be much harder to be destroyed, and Zsinj's planets can be much easier defended than the Eoth's.
-IMPORTANT: If there is an Era change to Era 3 stop whatever you did in your conquering, and focus on the defenses again.

Era 3:
Almost the exact copy of Era 1, with the exception of you have to be more careful this time, as Pally's and the Sovereign's Superlasers are quite deadly to Jerec and Kaine, so add a small amount of expendable ships to their fleet. I use Lancers for example. It is important to make those ships are the first ones to enter the battle instead of your heroes(the first small box of the fleet if you didn't knew). This is important because those will be the ones which gets those damn superlaser shots from Pally. Make sure tough to call in the reinforcements about 2 seconds after the start of the battle(or you lose), and try to finish off Pally or the Sovereigns BEFORE they could reload their superlasers.
Also be careful with the NR because of Wedge, and his Executor...

Era 4:
Pally is finally gone, and with him the IR's capability to build Sovereigns too, but the existing ones will still remain, so you will have to stay on your guard from now on. As an additional problem, you will have to face Daala's Knight Hammer, and the IR's renewed ability to build Executors again... aaaagh... *sight*
No matter. When you reach this point you will have a huge amount of credits to spend, and proper defenses what you can still bolster, so it will not be a problem anymore. It is highly recommended though that if you have only 1 HV. gun on a planet, build a second one in your frontier planets. It will provide you with a faster recharge rate, and it really matters when you can send only 2(with one you can shot it twice as I experienced it) or 4 rounds(this is just a guess to be honest) to an Executor before it even reaches your defensive line. Also you can shot it even after that bastard reached it, so you will weaken it. You can say that one round only takes down about 9.66-11,04% of it's hull, but it means you destroyed 7-8 of it's hardpoints, so it will have less firepower when it reaches you. If we count with 4 rounds until it reaches you, then you killed 28-32 from it's 138 weapon systems. that means a 38,64-44.16% weaker Executor, what can decide the fate of the whole battle. Good luck with it.
-If you couldn't conquer completely the starting planets of Zsinj and the EotH, you should start to finish what you started in Era 2. It will be much harder now, but that's why you have to hurry up with it in Era 2
-If you have done with your conquers in Era 2, or just catch up to this point your new priority is to take out all of the IR's Capital Shipyards, so they will be unable to build new Executors, and you will have some extra source of Preator IIs
-With all of these done you only have to hunt down Daala with Jerec and Kaine.

Era 5:
-If you could do everything from Era 4 before killing Daala this era should not have any difficulty at all. The only reason I highlighted it Orange is the possibility of what if you could not, and the IR is still able to build those damn Executors. If this is the chase, you should continue what you started, but from now on even the NR will mean some trouble with those Viscount-class Star Defenders... Do the same with them what you already did with the IR(alias take control of all capital shipyard planets), and you already won the game.

Imperial Remnants

Era 1
What should I say? Easy. The IR is still in it's power. Your only problem is the lack of income. Build up your income as fast as possible. Very important that the NR have lots of planets "within your borders". You should take those planets ASAP to make a solid frontier with your enemy. You will still have planets deep within enemy territory like Thyferra in ICW or AoW(Imperial Civil War and Art of War), but those are not your first priority. If you feel you can defend that planet you can try to build up defences there too. For example I was just ably to finish the ICW in admiral difficulty with only 1 lost battle, and even that was a retreat from Qat Chrystac(the planet where you only control the space, and the planet itself is the NR's. It was too far from reinforcements, so i decided to hand it over to them).
This is your Era where you can bolster your forces. You can easily win, even without Era change.
If you want to change Era by all means make sure to have those 3 Executors first. It really means a lot

Era 2
No more new Executors... Do I have to tell anything else? Personally I make sure to kill Thrawn ASAP.(I know you hate me now...)
Send him in as the first ship of the fleet, and when his hull reached the red level send in those Executors remained from Era 1

Era 3
With the proper economy behind you, and if you are clever you made sure to all of your Executors survive Era 2, so the only thing you have to do is to build those Sovereigns next to them, and steamroll everything...

Era 4
I never made it to Era 4, so i don't really know what to do...

Era 5
If you changed to this Era, there is only three options:
1) You are not good with tactics, and accidentally lost both Palpatine and/or Daala, or
2) You are the most idiot ever born.
3) You only want the challenge what the NR's Viscount-class Star Defenders bring in.

The IR is the easiest side to play because of the Executors and the Sovereigns. This is why it's summary is so short. The only real difficulty in it is that your borders are quite large, and you can be attacked by every single fraction from the very beginning.

New Republic
OK, I have to admit that I barely play the NR, as I don't like it's play-style. I will try to do my best to give a proper help though.

Era 1
The Hardest part of the game. The NR's character is that it will be stronger and stronger with every single Era. It starts pretty weak, but will be able to make a punch though.
First, just like always the Economy. You will need every single credit if you even want to dream about victory. Your first priority in the first part of the Era is to survive, and make ONE huge fleet, far larger than that 40 pop cap limit. I always make one somewhere about 160 when I start my second phase.This doesn't mean you don't need defense fleets over your border planets. You also have to know which planets even worth to consider as: able to be defended, or worth to be defended at all cost, and which are expendable. It is only dependent on you, and your playstyle. Playing this Fraction forget even the idea of defending every single planet. It will not come true, and you will only throw your credits and ships/troops to the trash can if you try to defend those not worthy planets.
As soon as you have your gigantic fleet it is time to start the hunt for Issard. Find her, and kill her. If she comes for you in a well defended planet, where you can kill her then you just hit the Jackpot.
IMPORTANT!!!!!!! : Make sure Uwlla Iillor survives! I know you lose her in the end of the Era, but she returns in the 3rd one, and she will have a MAYOR part

Era 2
Maybe the IR don't have the ability to build new Executors, but they still have the ones they built in Era 1. Just like in PA prey for the god, that Thrawn will stay alive for a long time. This is your time to replenish your much weakened strength, and build up your much needed reinforcements for Era 3. This is the calm before the storm. This is also your time to expand your fraction with a few planets. I recommend to retake some lost planets from the IR, and go into Zsinj's starting locations, because of it's defendabbility. If the PA taken them already you will have a hard time, but it worth both the time, and the credits to do so. You may come across with Kaine and Jerec, so be careful though.(for jerec there is only a very small chance, 'cuz of his poor space Autoresolve stat.)
IMPORTANT: If you meet Jerec in space make it an AUTORESOLVE by any means necessary. Even if it means to lose lots of ships, or even some heroes(will be from the task force, not from Jerec).
As soon as Thrawn dies, you have to go to the defensive again, so expand as much as you can during this Era.

Era 3
Here comes the hard part. Pally, and the Sovereigns. You have an advantage over Era 1 though. Wedge and the captured and repaired Lusankya. Combine him with your rebuilt gigantic fleet, and go hunt down Pally ASAP You can not let the IR the luxury of building up those Sovereigns. If you act swiftly, and have some luck too, you will be able to kill Palpatine.
As I said before in PA, make sure that an expendable ship is the first one to enter the battle. I know i said it, but I repeat it just to make sure. It is important to make those ships the first ones to enter the battle instead of your capitals and especally Wedge(the first small box of the fleet if you didn't knew) This is important because those will be the ones which gets those damn superlaser shots from Pally. Make sure tough to call in the reinforcements about 2 seconds after the start of the battle(or you lose), and try to finish off Pally or the Sovereigns BEFORE they could reload their superlasers.
Make sure that Wedge and Uwlla Iillor stays alive until you have to fight Pally or you are a dead man(not really, but you will have a hard time with him).
If you killed him, you will be finally able to breath up... Of course it means that you lose the Lusankya one way or the another, so you don't have to make sure Wedge survives the battle against Pally, but also make sure that even if he dies he makes some serious punches for the IR fleet. Do not get him killed without him at least weakening Pally to the limit of almost death. Also make sure that Pally shall not able to flee, or your sacrifices will be worthless. Here comes the role of Uwlla Iillor. Her immobilizer 418 will be the key to stop Pally if he tries to run away. This is the reason why you have to make sure she survives by all means.

Era 4
If you were fast enough the IR shall not have any Sovereigns, but you have to stay on your guard if one pops up. Also they will be able to build those annoying Executors again. Try to build up a large fleet again, and hunt down Daala ASAP. Otherwise it is just like Era 1

Era 5
Your redemption came! Viscount-class Star Defenders.
You have to be careful not to lose them, as you can have only 1 currently, and a lifetime of 3...
This is your time to kill Ardus Kaine, Warlord Zsinj, and Jerec(If they survived this long, however i doubt it. Especially Jerec.) Have a good hunting. Also the IR is slowly, but steadily losing that lifetime of 10 Executors, and if you are good you can still have those 2 Viscount-class Star Defender as replacements while your first one can kill whole fleets. Endgame is here... Kill em all.

Empire of the Hand
Ok, I know the whole Thrawn's Revenge team will hate me now, but I played EotH just as much as NR... almost not at all. only a few hundred hours...  ;D

Era 1
This fraction is just like NR with the exception of the fact it have ABSOLUTELY NO SUPERCAPITALS at all!(sorry for my messy english, but it is 3:17 am, and i am working in this since 10 pm yesterday. I wanted to make everything accurate, so i often started a game with my other PC so that I could check out what I was writing down is accurate.)
In Era 1 you have to focus on the defenses, and the Economy. If the Era runs long, and if the IR leaves you alone then you can try to kill the PA. It is important to conquer at least a few of their planets.

Era 2
Your job here is to overrun the PA by all means, and conquer Zsinj's starting planets. If you can, try to conquer as much NR planets as possible before the AI loses Thrawn, and Pally comes for you.
It is very important to weaken the NR as much as possible.

Era 3
Here comes the hard part. Pally and the Sovereigns. DEFENSE! NR have Wedge and his Lusankya too so you can forget the expansion for quite some time... Try to kill Pally ASAP as always. This Era is the hardest for everyone, except for the IR.

Era 4
If the NR still exist, kill them all! you can not let them reach Era 5, because if they do so, they will have those Viscount-class Star Defenders, and the IR will have their Executor-class Star Dreadnoughts, and you can start digging your own rip.

Era 5
Just kill everything what remains... I think you already know what should you do from all what I written down already.

Final words for you, plese read.
Thank you if you were that kind to read everything I written.
I worked really hard to make this as accurate as possible, and i played multiplayer with myself to see if that's really that way. Of course there were thing i couldn't check out for 100%, cuz i didn't had time. I only started the game for 5-10 minutes, and I think about 4-5 times totally, and it still took me more than 5 hours to write down all of these. I hope I could help everyone with this "small" information.
I wish you all good game,  and have fun. :D
I certainly had fun to write all of this down...
Local time:3:39 AM...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:48:22 PM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

October 09, 2014, 11:12:15 PMReply #46

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2014, 11:12:15 PM »
I have to disagree with your NR era 1 advice - do not give up those planets.  Instead, drop a couple light factories on each, crank out a few freerunners and air speeders, and rush the enemy landing zone before it can get many troops down.  Defending them in space is a bust until you can consolidate fleets, but the light factory alone gives you access to all you need to hold the ground.  I've played many an NR campaign on Admiral without ever giving up a world, and the AI will often focus its attacks on them, giving you breathing room elsewhere for a fairly small credit investment - 2000 creds per planet should give you a garrison that can handle most attacks.

Also, I should mention that I've never encountered Palpatine in space - he's always on the ground somewhere.  This is often the case for Jerec as well, but I do recall seeing him in space occasionally.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 11:21:48 PM by Pali »

October 10, 2014, 02:06:33 AMReply #47

Offline Onikenshin

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2014, 02:06:33 AM »
This is for admiral difficulty. So pretty much two planets are my ground spam one unit (Heaviest unit you can build). My ship building planets have planetary guns on it with turbos on land, I keep a respectable force on each.The rest of my planets have money making buildings on them. The rest of my ships flood to the choke points and after I start getting tons of capital ships I rapidly expand to other check points, after destroying each fleet I will leave a frigate so they can no longer build ships in space.

Is there really any other way to do it more efficiently?

October 10, 2014, 02:25:26 AMReply #48

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2014, 02:25:26 AM »
neither is bad, but for Pali, my fun with the speeders ended for 75% of the times when the IR brought his AT-AAs
I can't count the number of times I lost because of them.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

October 10, 2014, 02:39:08 AMReply #49

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2014, 02:39:08 AM »
No, that's about the right way to do it - assuming you can, at least.  In the big multi-era GCs, for instance, the NR starts pretty much in two pieces: one big one in the south with a lot of planet connections creating a wide front, and a small one in the north-east between Mon Cal and Yavin 4.  Since you've got a lot of heroes up at Mon Cal, you want to expand along that front and bring them into play, so you need infrastructure up there (plus, since the NR's not limited on how many tax centers per planet, the CSA gives them a good deal more income than it does the other factions)... but if all you focus on is that one area, you're vulnerable in the bigger southern front, or at least making minimal progress there during the crucial early-game period where the AI hasn't already filled every planet with golans and turbo towers.

The PA and EotH are the exact opposite in those GCs, however - they absolutely should be done, at least in the early game, as you describe, by having a couple low-income planets specialize in production types and then everything else going to income.  The IR's something of an inbetween... you've got a lot bigger of a front, but you're still quite concentrated, so specialization still pays off fairly well.

Re: Kucsidave
That's why I said speeders plus freerunners.  Speeders alone can be countered - the two together, combined with garrison T2Bs from the factories, all cover each other's weaknesses, giving you air power in the speeders, shields + anti-inf in the T2Bs, and heavy firepower + armor in the freerunners.  Tanks and infantry take too long to get there, but freerunners are fast and buff - they're one of my favorite units in the game, honestly, and a great addition by the team here.  Given how cheap the speeders are, it's not really a problem to send a group ahead of the freerunners to start drawing blood, lose a couple to a quick AA drop, pull them back and let the freerunners get there - which they should have by the time anything else disembarks.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:41:54 AM by Pali »

October 10, 2014, 05:41:27 AMReply #50

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2014, 05:41:27 AM »
No, that's about the right way to do it - assuming you can, at least.  In the big multi-era GCs, for instance, the NR starts pretty much in two pieces: one big one in the south with a lot of planet connections creating a wide front, and a small one in the north-east between Mon Cal and Yavin 4.  Since you've got a lot of heroes up at Mon Cal, you want to expand along that front and bring them into play, so you need infrastructure up there (plus, since the NR's not limited on how many tax centers per planet, the CSA gives them a good deal more income than it does the other factions)... but if all you focus on is that one area, you're vulnerable in the bigger southern front, or at least making minimal progress there during the crucial early-game period where the AI hasn't already filled every planet with golans and turbo towers.

The PA and EotH are the exact opposite in those GCs, however - they absolutely should be done, at least in the early game, as you describe, by having a couple low-income planets specialize in production types and then everything else going to income.  The IR's something of an inbetween... you've got a lot bigger of a front, but you're still quite concentrated, so specialization still pays off fairly well.

Re: Kucsidave
That's why I said speeders plus freerunners.  Speeders alone can be countered - the two together, combined with garrison T2Bs from the factories, all cover each other's weaknesses, giving you air power in the speeders, shields + anti-inf in the T2Bs, and heavy firepower + armor in the freerunners.  Tanks and infantry take too long to get there, but freerunners are fast and buff - they're one of my favorite units in the game, honestly, and a great addition by the team here.  Given how cheap the speeders are, it's not really a problem to send a group ahead of the freerunners to start drawing blood, lose a couple to a quick AA drop, pull them back and let the freerunners get there - which they should have by the time anything else disembarks.
As I said before i didn't played that much with the NR, so i don't know how to properly use it's units, which means what I gave as advice is an unperfect tactic, but works out fine, and even a beginner can use it. Maybe you who can pull of a trick like this with NR even when he sleeps it sounds easy, but someone like me can't. Please forgive me for not liking the NR more, but I am still not planning to play more with it.
I really understand, and respect you for they are your favorite, because they really start in a hard position in the multiera GCs from my PoV.
You know, it is my personal crazy stuff that I hate to lose ships in a space combat, and NR have paper ships at the beginning, and they are hopeless against a Preator II of the PA, that's why I love that fraction the most. they have relatively cheap SSDs. Yeah, they are much weaker than an Executor, but even if i have to face the IR I can finish off fleets of ISD IIs without the lost of any ships. Who else can say that he took Byss in From the Ground Up with only losing one single IPV-1? Don't forget that it have a Sovereign in orbit! Good luck in repeating it. I had 3 Preator with 1-2 hardpoint left, and eve the fourth was in a very bad shape at the end. If you can count that means i had 4 pop cap left, what I filled with Escort carriers, so i had the fighter screen to do the rest of the job, and protect the damaged Preators from enemy fighters...

October 10, 2014, 07:01:31 AMReply #51

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2014, 07:01:31 AM »
A lot of people don't seem to really feel the NR, so don't be too concerned they weren't your thing.  I've spent probably more time with them than I should... I think I've done about a dozen multi-era GCs as them, always to what I view as my win point - era 5, all or nearly all enemy heroes dead, me controlling at least half the galaxy... A handful of single era ones... So yeah, that's a LOT of time with them. ;)

If you like the PA, try giving Vulcanus's submod a shot - it makes them feel a lot more distinct from the IR, and adds another layer of strategizing since you need certain planets for certain ships.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!