Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: 2.1 Bug Report  (Read 66125 times)

August 03, 2014, 03:48:29 PMReply #100

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
Re: 2.1 Bug Report
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2014, 03:48:29 PM »
Well this discussion has probably left the domain of bug reporting at this point, but im about ready to give up FTGU as IR. For whatever fleet I manage to scrape together the NR has three even more powerful fleets, and every single ship I lose is effectively another week's income whereas the NR can lose an entire fleet and not be slowed down a bit. I can't even begin to try for capital ships when im just barely hanging on. And just for the final nail in the coffin the NR gets free Viscounts...

Here is the FTGU strategy thread for more tips:
http://thrawnsrevenge.com/forums/index.php?topic=4220.0

My own advice: Give up the space. Only build a star base on your best-protected (and highest level possible) planet. Instead focus all your early credits on building strongly fortified ground defences and once you are confident you can hold the planet, tax agencies for extra credits. Do not waste any credits on extra star bases, Golans, shield generators or ground turbolaser towers. Only use a single roving fleet and be prepared to retreat whenever needed. Try to destroy enemy planetary assault forces in space rather than ground. Squeeze EVERY unnecessary unit/building out of your build list. Focus on high value-for-money ships in space (carracks, vindicators, Vic Is) and cheap disposable units on ground garrisons(stormies, light walkers).

EDIT: Also, to catch the whale you need the biggest harpoon you can find. Super-lasers make slaying Viscounts ridiculously easy.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 03:52:32 PM by Vulcanus »

September 17, 2014, 09:48:39 PMReply #101

tomcat1516

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2014, 09:48:39 PM »
i have tried to start several from the ground up campaigns recently. in the campaigns it Spears that the other factions start with more planets then they should. the most obvious example is when you play as the empire of the hand because the planet bellow you is controlled by the new republic and is a bright orange unlike the other connected planets which are a burnt orange. this makes it difficult to start as they expand, and surround you in the first five to ten minutes. please let me now if there is a fix or if this is abnormal.

thanks

September 17, 2014, 10:38:14 PMReply #102

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2014, 10:38:14 PM »
i have tried to start several from the ground up campaigns recently. in the campaigns it Spears that the other factions start with more planets then they should. the most obvious example is when you play as the empire of the hand because the planet bellow you is controlled by the new republic and is a bright orange unlike the other connected planets which are a burnt orange. this makes it difficult to start as they expand, and surround you in the first five to ten minutes. please let me now if there is a fix or if this is abnormal.

thanks

It's necessary to give the AI more than one planet or else all they do is sit in that one planet and never expand. That would make a very boring campaign, so the mod team gave them enough planets so the AI will expand.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

September 17, 2014, 10:39:41 PMReply #103

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2014, 10:39:41 PM »
As we've explained, this is intentional. If the AI starts with only one planet, they'll almost always just assume they've met their loss conditions and just never do anything, at all. There are several ways to be successful in FTGU, so if you're struggling I'd suggest looking around the forums; several players have outlined their most successful strategies.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

September 27, 2014, 09:38:22 AMReply #104

Offline Traon

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2014, 09:38:22 AM »
Hi all,

I haven't had a chance to play this game in MONTHS due to a project i've undertaken in my spare time to build bespoke CRM for purchasing :)

Anyhow i've come across the same bug I reported a long while back:

When playing as Imperial Remnant when i lose the Isard Super Star Destroyer in era 1 - the game crashes. This is for the large ~50 planets GC.

Was this ever fixed? I actually got a new machine recently so I downloded the game fresh so can't be an old version :)

Traon

September 27, 2014, 11:30:09 AMReply #105

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2014, 11:30:09 AM »
Hi all,

I haven't had a chance to play this game in MONTHS due to a project i've undertaken in my spare time to build bespoke CRM for purchasing :)

Anyhow i've come across the same bug I reported a long while back:

When playing as Imperial Remnant when i lose the Isard Super Star Destroyer in era 1 - the game crashes. This is for the large ~50 planets GC.

Was this ever fixed? I actually got a new machine recently so I downloded the game fresh so can't be an old version :)

Traon

Do you have the 2.15 patch installed? I'm not sure if it's included in the full download.

September 27, 2014, 01:11:09 PMReply #106

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2014, 01:11:09 PM »
Do you have the 2.15 patch installed? I'm not sure if it's included in the full download.

It is not yet, Corey didn't want to reupload 3+ Gigs of information for a few megs of patches, for good reason.  Nothing changed as far as models, so the only changes are text files which are extremely small.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

September 30, 2014, 03:12:49 PMReply #107

Offline rperera

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 30, 2014, 03:12:49 PM »
I'm having an issue in From the Ground Up (playing as Pentastar) where I can't get to Kauron, Etti IV, and Bonadon.  They just appear as inaccessible.  I have every other planet conquered, but none open up a hyperspace lane there.  It appears one is NR, one is IR, and one is DL, as I can see notifications of space battles going on over each of the three planets.  Any ideas, guys?

September 30, 2014, 06:02:02 PMReply #108

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 30, 2014, 06:02:02 PM »
This was either fixed in patch 2.15 (I've reported it already), or is fixed in the next patch AFTER 2.15 that hasn't yet been released.  But I'm pretty sure I reported it after 2.1, so I dare say it was fixed with patch 2.15
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

February 24, 2015, 08:56:51 PMReply #109

Offline Delta104x

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-3
  • It's a Bird, It's a Plane! It's-a bird...
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 24, 2015, 08:56:51 PM »
I'm doing into the cluster as the IR and I have The Iron fist and 3 ISDs over Levian Two and I still can't use the orbital bombardment, yet for some reason I can use it when I have a VSD over it.
"The pen is mightier than the sword... because you can use that pen to draw up blueprints of nuclear weapons and fire fuck bomb anyone who dares to defy you."

May 13, 2015, 06:35:33 PMReply #110

That Guy

« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2015, 06:35:33 PM »
 When ever I try to run the mod a little box pops up and it says expect bugs and a xml file. It then closes the game....I have no idea what to do with my life :\ I have it on the steam version btw.

May 13, 2015, 06:55:03 PMReply #111

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »
That means there's a problem with an XML file, which means you've either edited that file, or have other edited files installed into your base data folder which have issues.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 14, 2015, 02:01:39 AMReply #112

That Guy

« Reply #112 on: May 14, 2015, 02:01:39 AM »
I havn't changed anything in the xml files and i deleted all of the files it told me it had an error with.Then when I tried to run it it came up with a different box that say Exception! An exception has ocurred. See _logfile.txt and _except.txt for details. Press CANCEL to exit or RETRY to debug.When I click debug it tries to find a problem but fails. So I just restored them back and left it for now.

May 14, 2015, 08:23:33 AMReply #113

That

« Reply #113 on: May 14, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
Oh and all the xml files were in the ImperialCivalWar/data/xml.

May 25, 2015, 03:30:39 PMReply #114

Offline Thrashia

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2015, 03:30:39 PM »
I've encountered a problem to where I cannot select and control any ships or ground units. I installed the patch update already and this happened all the same...
"You may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, but the Empire will always strike back." - Gilad Pellaeon

C'baoth: "You doubt the power of the Force, Grand Admiral Thrawn?"
Thrawn: "Not at all. I merely present the problems you and the Force will have to solve if you continue with this course of action."

May 25, 2015, 03:31:45 PMReply #115

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2015, 03:31:45 PM »
That's an engine bug that can't be fixed with mods, but we did ceate a utility with a workaround. Run the defreezer (which came with the patch) on your save file.

May 26, 2015, 01:17:39 AMReply #116

Offline Thrashia

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 26, 2015, 01:17:39 AM »
That's an engine bug that can't be fixed with mods, but we did ceate a utility with a workaround. Run the defreezer (which came with the patch) on your save file.

Cool. Thanks Corey.
"You may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, but the Empire will always strike back." - Gilad Pellaeon

C'baoth: "You doubt the power of the Force, Grand Admiral Thrawn?"
Thrawn: "Not at all. I merely present the problems you and the Force will have to solve if you continue with this course of action."

June 02, 2015, 09:12:12 PMReply #117

Offline Motti

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2015, 09:12:12 PM »
I've been playing the Imperial Civil War campaign as the Pentastar Alignment recently. After running the defreezer tool (ran it a few times since it got a bit wonky after the first try) things eventually progressed in to era 5 with Pellaeon leading the Remnant.

Problem is the Viscount build cap no longer seems to be in place (meaning neither the lifetime cap or the active cap.) I am unsure if this issue was present in earlier eras, and if it also applied to the Remnant as I only encountered a few of their SSDs. But basically the NR AI is now using the Viscount everywhere, often multiple at a time. In one particular battle, it brought 7 Viscounts to the fight. Obviously it couldn't bring them all in at the same time, but they kept on coming.

Is this a glitch, or do the build caps listed in the manual no longer apply? If the former, could the defreezer have caused it?

June 02, 2015, 09:13:52 PMReply #118

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2015, 09:13:52 PM »
The AI ignores build limits, not really anything we can do about it.

June 02, 2015, 09:15:27 PMReply #119

Offline Motti

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2015, 09:15:27 PM »
Thanks for the quick response, Corey!

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!