Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Building your own starship  (Read 23026 times)

August 15, 2013, 12:46:10 PM

Offline Augustus Lucius Flavius

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-1
    • View Profile
Building your own starship
« on: August 15, 2013, 12:46:10 PM »
If you could design a ship class of any type what would it be and what would you call it?  My ship would be a three KM winged (like the Vengeance) Star Destroyer with a deeper hull to allow for more fighters. Its total armament would be 150 heavy turbo batteries, 150 heavy ion batteries, 50 concussion missile launchers, 60 point defense batteries.  Its fighter complement would be 15 squadrons of TIE Avengers, 10 squadrons of Scimitars, and 5 squadrons of TIE Defenders. It would be called the Caesar-class.
I am Augustus Lucius Flavius the future Emperor of Terra, Chancellor of Mars, and Governor of the Lunar colonies.

August 15, 2013, 04:02:51 PMReply #1

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Building your own starship
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
Modified ISDII
Stealth black armor for sensor masking, replace all the ridgeline turbolasers with anti starfighter defenses and place more emphasis on speed than sheer firepower
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

August 15, 2013, 04:43:39 PMReply #2

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 04:43:39 PM »
Modified ISDII
Stealth black armor for sensor masking, replace all the ridgeline turbolasers with anti starfighter defenses and place more emphasis on speed than sheer firepower

So not only does it blast any MC80 out of the sky, it removes any starfighter advantage forcing the republic to go ship-to-ship in order to destroy it?  Yeah, that's OP.  Also, why the heck didn't Kuat do that?  It makes too much sense!

I would improve on that and give it redundant shielding.  I'm tired of that getting blasted.

Once that is all done, you don't need to do anything else beyond making dozens of them at a time and even the Chiss hero blob cannot stand against you.  It's the one stop shop for Imperial domination.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:46:09 PM by JC123 »
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

August 15, 2013, 06:48:09 PMReply #3

Offline Redraline_Salkos

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • Common sense is not so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
Yeah...I think they pretty much covered what I would want with the Errant Venture. An ISD-II redesigned as a mobile shadowport with a superlaser? Yes please.
Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. -
Immanuel Kant

August 17, 2013, 07:47:33 AMReply #4

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 07:47:33 AM »
So not only does it blast any MC80 out of the sky, it removes any starfighter advantage forcing the republic to go ship-to-ship in order to destroy it?  Yeah, that's OP.  Also, why the heck didn't Kuat do that?  It makes too much sense!
I would improve on that and give it redundant shielding.  I'm tired of that getting blasted.
Once that is all done, you don't need to do anything else beyond making dozens of them at a time and even the Chiss hero blob cannot stand against you.  It's the one stop shop for Imperial domination.

Well in my experience Speed and versatility are what make a vessel strategic. The basic ISDII is a good ship, it can be mass produced, it has fighters, heavy arms and troops. Basically all that's needed would be tweaks of it.
As to why Kuat didn't do that? Well Stealth plating is apparently pretty hideously expensive(I mean the only capital examples are the Knight Hammer and a few specialized vessels) I imagine it would also slow down mass production a bit too. Also the vessel would lose some of it's main priority as a capital ship destroyer since about 1/4 of it's heavy weapons would be replaced with anti fighter arms. Still in my opinion this would have drastically improved it's combat effectiveness as a whole. It could also have been done to a degree with VSDIIs as well.

August 17, 2013, 11:45:39 AMReply #5

Offline Augustus Lucius Flavius

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 11:45:39 AM »
Lord Xizer's Stealth Destroyer would be awesome. What you call it the Imperial-III or might I suggest naming it the Die Rebels Die class.
I am Augustus Lucius Flavius the future Emperor of Terra, Chancellor of Mars, and Governor of the Lunar colonies.

August 17, 2013, 08:52:50 PMReply #6

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
Would say the "Dark Force" but it's already taken

August 18, 2013, 12:46:11 PMReply #7

Offline mynameisyou

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-14
  • I'm not saying anything...Crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »
my ship would be a made in a design similar to the Harrower-class dreadnought around 8000 meters with redundant shields,
stealth armor,engines from the Bellator-class dreadnought and the middle hanger replaced with a canon like the Aggressor-class Star Destroyers capable of annihilating smaller cap ships and crippling Dreadnaughts.

its armament being 1 super ion/plasma cannon   7000 turbo lasers   220 point defence lasers   100 heavy ion cannons   45 Assault concussion missile tubes  55 anti-fighter weapons.

its fighter complement being 700 fighters or bombers my personal one being 100 TIE/D Defenders 300 Predator-class fighters 300  GAT-12 Skipray Blastboat

specs and design aspects from
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bellator-class_dreadnought

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Executor-class_Star_Dreadnought

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Aggressor-class_destroyer

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Harrower-class_dreadnought

August 18, 2013, 03:12:54 PMReply #8

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »
Go big or go home eh?

August 18, 2013, 03:45:26 PMReply #9

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 03:45:26 PM »
The secret to using this ship is "attack move"
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

August 18, 2013, 04:23:11 PMReply #10

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2013, 04:23:11 PM »
After which it will spin around in circles because it really just wants to dance.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

August 18, 2013, 06:16:37 PMReply #11

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2013, 06:16:37 PM »
After which it will spin around in circles because it really just wants to dance.

Don't remind me.  It takes all the fun out of that expensive trinket.

August 18, 2013, 07:29:36 PMReply #12

Offline Redraline_Salkos

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • Common sense is not so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 07:29:36 PM »
Then a lone starfighter ends the dance and destroys the whole ship because someone forgot to bolt a hatch down or something stupid like that  :-\\
Why can't the Rebels do anything without blowing something up.
Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. -
Immanuel Kant

August 18, 2013, 08:12:42 PMReply #13

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 08:12:42 PM »
Then a lone starfighter ends the dance and destroys the whole ship because someone forgot to bolt a hatch down or something stupid like that  :-\\
Why can't the Rebels do anything without blowing something up.

This is why we can't have nice things

August 19, 2013, 07:02:38 AMReply #14

Offline mynameisyou

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-14
  • I'm not saying anything...Crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »
yeah thats what the tie defenders are for :(

August 19, 2013, 03:34:35 PMReply #15

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 03:34:35 PM »
Indeed

August 24, 2013, 05:32:17 PMReply #16

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 05:32:17 PM »
If u ask me, sometimes a smaller ship is the best option, so i would say, i would have my own capital ship, and a smaller ship always in it's hangar...
My exp. shows this is the best tactic.
So my answer is the folowing:
-The Destructor:
I would have a VERY long ship(about 13-14000m),In design mostly like the Majestic-class Heavy Cruiser,with the exceptoion of it's wings would be abouut in the 1/3 of the hull(from the front), and make them more narrow.
I would equip it with about:3-400 Simple, and 2-300 Heavy Turbolasers,150 Ion Cannon, and 70-80 Concussion
Missile Launcher, and for the extreme large number of starfighters i would also equip it with about 30-40 Quad Laser Cannon, to hold up the enemy fighters and bombers , til my owns finishes em.
I would make a large hangar runs through the hull. To make the hangars protected, it's entreances would be in both sides of the hull, with only smaller (kind of tunels) leading to the main hangars(20-25/side).
It would carry about 120 TIE Reaper, 80 Skypray Blastboats, 200 Toscan Fighters, and my personal ship.
-The Veris
My Personal ship would be a modified YT-2000 Light Freighter. Those thigs can make some damage. Mine would be equiped with 2 Laser Cannons, and 1 Ion Cannon(right under the cockpit), and 2 rotateabble quad turret in the top, and the bottom of the ship.
So if my capital ship is overruned by fighters it can defend itself til my fighters deploying from the safe hangars, thanks to the heavy weaponary, it can also make any MC-90 to spacedust in the matter of seconds.
And when theese all are useless, time to run in my personal ship togeather with the VIPs.
I don't want to like Tarkin or Palpatine(x2). if things aren't going your way you must have a plan B
Just imagine: you're in a SSD, your engines are all down, all of the fighters are fighting for their lives, and your ship is about to colapse, and you and the most of your fraction's admirality is on board. If you all die, it could be a critical blow to the fraction.But if you can escape at least the admirality is saved, so you will have a second chance to beat the bastards...
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:52:58 PM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

August 24, 2013, 05:42:50 PMReply #17

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 05:42:50 PM »
Zaarin tried that with a cloaked corvette...sadly it had some side effects and he came down with a bad case of...dead

August 24, 2013, 05:55:53 PMReply #18

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 05:55:53 PM »
oh i forgot:
for good manouverability separate engines in both sides only for turning(non hiperspace capeabbles)
(for the capital)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:58:54 PM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

August 24, 2013, 06:06:31 PMReply #19

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »
Zaarin tried that with a cloaked corvette...sadly it had some side effects and he came down with a bad case of...dead
Yeah, but a malfunction in a complex sistem like a cloaking device is sometimes inevitable.
My YT-2000 wouldn't have too complex things for the same reason...

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!