Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Reunification Strategies?  (Read 18797 times)

August 07, 2013, 04:05:36 PM

Offline Thuellai

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • Gold Leader
    • View Profile
Reunification Strategies?
« on: August 07, 2013, 04:05:36 PM »
Trying my best to turn Daala's campaign into less of a train wreck.  The only strategies I can see is sweep over to Hakassi in hopes of grabbing the Knight Hammer early (in which case I watch ISD2s get torn apart by any more than one Crimson Command Victory) or push into the small Republic strongholds above in hopes of murdering off Republic heroes and even things out a bit.  It worked out for a while, but then backfired when I finally swung back to Hakassi only to get slammed by MC90s and the New Class frigates in huge numbers.

Any tips?

August 07, 2013, 05:21:26 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Reunification Strategies?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 05:21:26 PM »
I've only ever done this once or twice, and never completed.  What's this about grabbing the Knight Hammer?
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

August 07, 2013, 07:03:17 PMReply #2

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 07:03:17 PM »
The times I tried I used a strategy wich conssited in taking the two world wich are above kessel (no mon calamari) build tons of mines and 1 light factory and 1 barracks, after that you should be able to produce some good ships in the maw and begin your invasion. The next priority target is kuat, you'll be able to build ISD from there and use it as stronghold(because you'll be able to cuild lvl3 golans) too while you go for the knigh hammer. After that you should have a good position and the galaxy or at least those 17 or 18 planets will we yours
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

August 07, 2013, 07:41:18 PMReply #3

Offline Singularity

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • Never trust a bartender with bad grammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 07:41:18 PM »
The NR has this seriously annoying habit of attacking Hakassi as soon as I've sent my fleet to fight Delvardus and are on the other side of the map...

Oh, and you really want to take Abregado-Rae soon, its tough as the NR will nearly always build a ton of turbolasers on the ground, but the reward is worth the effort.

I've only ever done this once or twice, and never completed.  What's this about grabbing the Knight Hammer?
You get if after conquering Odik II

August 07, 2013, 07:42:38 PMReply #4

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 07:42:38 PM »
I have used three different strategies to win this campaign.  I don't know if the difficulty setting changes the experience, but this was at the highest setting.

Easiest path:
1) Conquer the top territories first.  Go in a clockwise direction.  Abandon Kessel and Maw.  Leave a ground force with laser towers and shields on the next planet to stop any invasion cold.  Conquer Yavin and use bombers/bombardment to kill the many hero units.  Once the republic is over Kessel go to Mon Calamari and auto-resolve to defeat the defensive structures.  Send in invasion force and quickly build space structures with ground-space cannons for the revenge fleet.  Build up SDs and conquer the rest of the map.  Knight Hammer plays no role.

Medium path:
2) Take out Hakassi and turn it into a fortress planet that cannot be conquered.  Abandon Kessel and Maw.  Republic LOVES air units for ground battles, just FYI.  Slowely conquer each planet after Hakassi until you get to the Knight Hammer.  Win the game.  If you can do what Eclipse did with Kuat instead (every time I try there is a huge fleet on it) then bonus points to you.

Prepare to rage quit:
3) Dash to the Knight Hammer.  Abandon everything.  Send in a single small space unit first to take max advantage of raid fleets.  Only have four to six land units for the land invasion.  Take max advantage of bombing runs, bombardments, and the pause/fast forward button.  Gain Knight Hammer and sock it to the Republic in no time flat.

This campaign is the hardest one I've done.  I like it that way though.
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

August 07, 2013, 11:11:20 PMReply #5

Offline exwarrior 2015

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2013, 11:11:20 PM »
I have only played this one once or twice.. so how do you get the IT heroes?

August 08, 2013, 01:23:52 AMReply #6

Offline Thuellai

• Brevet Admiral
  • Gold Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 01:23:52 AM »
I have only played this one once or twice.. so how do you get the IT heroes?

Taking Hakassi gets you Pellaeon, which is nice as Daala's admiralship bonus is PATHETIC (15% damage?  Pellaeon gives 15% EVERYTHING) although it means you have to tangle with Teriadoc's Crimson Command (and goddamn, those hit like an ISD2 in a smaller, faster package)

Taking Odik II gets you a Crimson Command of your own under Cronus's command (who has a great command bonus, +25% to everything but Speed) and moves Daala from the Gorgon to the Knight Hammer.  Whereas I usually give Pellaeon his own fleet, I'm thinking I might make Cronus the flagship for Daala's fleet - the Knight Hammer jumping in wherever you please (since VSD2s are so fast) with a +25 to damage, shields, and such seems like a deadly combo.

August 08, 2013, 03:11:35 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
I never realized this one was so complex, I'll have to play it.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

August 08, 2013, 04:02:43 PMReply #8

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 04:02:43 PM »
It's definitely challenging too as the IR
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

August 09, 2013, 09:00:34 AMReply #9

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 09:00:34 AM »
Tried it last night.  Seems a bit too challenging as the IR.  Without Daala, you get wasted, and with Daala, none of my ISD's seem to have a clue what ATTACK means, and instead want to fly around trying to flank other ships constantly instead of attacking with full salvos.

August 09, 2013, 12:23:12 PMReply #10

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 12:23:12 PM »
That might just be  a side effect of being part of Daala's command

August 09, 2013, 12:49:48 PMReply #11

Offline Blackout

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
The best strategy for Reunification is to win ^^

But really, after reading this yesterday i played it for myself and got pretty far before i deleted the game today. From my experience, this is somewhat what I did and what works for me. Build at least 2 at-st's on Kessel with a Light Factory there. Then capture Hakaasi. Build barracks, light factory, tax collections, and atleast 1 hypergun. Then get the asteroid field and make probe droids with it. Build a Vic or 2(or w/e u want really, aslong as it has firepower in some way) and capture and occupy the space of the rebel planets on the left(their space defenses aren't that great so it should be relatively easy to win). While doing this, replace any at-st's you lost on Kessel(or Hakaasi depending on how you want to play)and/or build more, and build a few more ships and attack Harrsk's fleet. I forget the planet he defends, but his fleet should be easy to take down, just warp in your ships behind his while they go to defend the starbase. After that, attack the planet with your at-st's for another easy win and a gold mine of a planet(build 5 tax collections). Then do the exact same thing with Odik. Odik isnt nearly AS much as a gold mine as the other planet, but still, u need all the credits you can get. Now you should have the Knight Hammer, which I'll get into in a minute, but for now, build some more at-st's and attack Khomm. After you get Khomm, build a light factory, then a heavy factory, then sell the light factory and fill the build bar with Advanced factories(You may want to stop building them for a minute to build an AA company)and build a few at-at's for your at-at army ;). While you're waiting for that, bring Cronus to Hakaasi and start building Crimson's. By now(if you're playing on Admiral, not sure about easier difficulties), you probably have lost Kessel and The Maw, which is fine. Now here you can go either way, as in back to the right hand side of the map, or straight up into that cluster of NR planets. Since I went straight up, I'll talk about that :). Put some kind of cheap or semi insignificant ship, or any ship you don't mind too much about losing(preferably one that carries semi-fast or fast fighters), in the first slot of your fleet so only that ship warps into battle when attacking and attack Kuat. Wait until the Fog of War clears and send Daala straight into the heart of their defense, and send the rest of your fleet behind Daala, but keep them out of range of fire. Use Daala to attack the Golan's and the Endurance-Class ships, unless you think you can destroy their capital shipyard. When Daala has taken a significant amount of damage after destroying some of the Golans or the Shipyard, retreat. Don't send in your other ships to fight, they are just being used as fighter bays to assist Daala. Do this because the NR's has an outrageous amount of fighters being spawned at Kuat which you won't have enough of the right power to kill, unless all you buy are lancers. The Golans the Endurance's are fighter hives, so killing them before getting into the real fight is almost necessary, unless you want to wait around till week 50 when you may have your forces built up and ready to dominate, that is if the AI doesn't bother you at all :). After that, attack Kuat ground, and be sure to land an AA company(just a heads up). Go for their power generator first(obviously) and then just go in for the at-st/at-at assault. I virtually did this until I got Metellos, which is where I was when my game was deleted. I had all of the planets on the left side except for Abregado-Rae and the planet that starts with a B on the right side of the left side of the map(lol). I did lose Cronus and Pelleaon above Coruscant though, so keep them in the back(sounds kind of obvious, but make sure you don't get overconfident).

Wow that was long :-X

August 09, 2013, 03:20:37 PMReply #12

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 03:20:37 PM »
That might just be  a side effect of being part of Daala's command

:D

I do hate Daala.

August 09, 2013, 03:47:20 PMReply #13

Offline Redraline_Salkos

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • Common sense is not so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
I played through this last night, the "hard way" apparently. Instead of going for Hakassi, I took over Yavin and the rest of the planets on that side of the galaxy, then fortified The Maw and built a few ISD-IIs, then moved in Hakassi and from there took Kuat and spammed ISD-IIs, everything behind The Maw except for Yavin was used purely for credit farming. Odik was the last planet I took =P
Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. -
Immanuel Kant

August 09, 2013, 07:29:05 PMReply #14

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »
Interesting tactics all.

August 09, 2013, 07:29:59 PMReply #15

Offline Thuellai

• Brevet Admiral
  • Gold Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 07:29:59 PM »
I think I've finally got it - I've got the Knight Hammer and Kuat Drive Yards, and I really don't see how I can lose with 4000 credit ISD2s

In any case, I used a version of Blackout's strategy, with some adjustments.  Namely, as soon as I took Hakassi, I set up a HVC...  and no space station, using the Maw to pump out little stacks of 3-5 Defender squadrons.  Then I fell back, let the rebels send in their New Class destroyers one or two at a time, and harassed them with Defenders while the HVC pounded them from below.  Before long I had a straight shot at Kuat, took that, and managed to hold Hakassi and Kuat long enough to take Coruscant, which has since funded my operations.  Now I control everything on the west side (gotta take Balmorra and Onderon) and am readying a massive fleet to crush the rebels.

Weird glitch, though - if the New Republic takes Odik II from the Warlords, Daala (in the Gorgon) ceases to be, and you won't get her back until you get the Knight Hammer.

August 09, 2013, 07:46:10 PMReply #16

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 07:46:10 PM »
Weird glitch, though - if the New Republic takes Odik II from the Warlords, Daala (in the Gorgon) ceases to be, and you won't get her back until you get the Knight Hammer.

I noticed that too.  Maybe she gets so steamed at your lack of progress she needs to take a breather.
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

August 09, 2013, 07:54:33 PMReply #17

Offline Thuellai

• Brevet Admiral
  • Gold Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2013, 07:54:33 PM »
I noticed that too.  Maybe she gets so steamed at your lack of progress she needs to take a breather.

Yeah.  Could be disastrous if you went up top after Yavin and Mon Cal though, and suddenly found yourself with no heroes

I had Pellaeon, luckily, and he's five times the hero Daala is (almost literally, considering bonuses)

August 09, 2013, 09:10:19 PMReply #18

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2013, 09:10:19 PM »
Yeah.  Could be disastrous if you went up top after Yavin and Mon Cal though, and suddenly found yourself with no heroes

I had Pellaeon, luckily, and he's five times the hero Daala is (almost literally, considering bonuses)

I had no heros after taking Yavin and the eastern planets.  But, I had Mon Calamari, and no AI has managed to kick me off a planet with a level 3 station once I get the defenses up.  Then it was a simple matter of patience and fleet building.

August 10, 2013, 01:12:54 AMReply #19

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 01:12:54 AM »
I completed it today, going the Hakasi route.  I will say, it's REALLY HARD for those first few weeks.  Once you get Pelleaon, it's a little easier as he's so much better.  When you get the Knight Hammer, it becomes just too easy.

I love the Crimson Command VSD-II's.  Soon as I got Cronus and the Knight Hammer I built max quantity of them, and actually defeated Coruscant using nothing but Crimson Command VSD-II's (without Cronus) and a single Dominator to keep them from running.  I know the description says they're more powerful than other VSD's, what advantage other than looking cool do they have over the standard VSD-II?

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!