Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Imperial Civil War: 7 Years of Galactic Conflict  (Read 7501 times)

June 07, 2013, 12:04:10 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Imperial Civil War: 7 Years of Galactic Conflict
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:04:10 AM »
...Specter of the Past...

Today marks the 7th anniversary of the beginning of Thrawn's Revenge. Over those 7 years there have been dozens of people who have helped create the mod directly and indirectly, and thousands of fans who have contributed ideas, constructive criticism and supported the team in our efforts in various ways.

Those efforts have translated into 3 minimods, 4 major versions of Imperial Civil War, 300,000 downloads and taking into account Ascendancy, a collective 2700 watches on Mod Database, 800 likes on Facebook, and tens of thousands of comments and forum posts.

Before getting into the development news, we have finally decided to start using the domain www.thrawnsrevenge.com instead of gutr.swrebellion.com. We're still going to be under the same great hosting of the SWRebellion network and the same site layout and design (so forum users don't worry, your accounts are safe), but we've been aware for a long time that our domain name doesn't really lend itself to easy memorization. We're currently not switched over yet, but just remember to switch your bookmarks. The gutr domain will still redirect for a little while after we're live.

...Vision of the Future...
That being said, after the release of 2.0 we immediately got to work on 2.1. We've been relatively quiet about it as far as news posts go, having focused mainly on video, so in this update I primarily want to take the time to outline the main thrust of what 2.1 is going to include.

The guiding principle of 2.1 has been and will continue to be bugfixes and general quality of life or polishing improvements. This ranges from the little stuff like balance changes, up to larger and more glaring issues like the era change issues in Art of War, the base layouts, and the attack loops of the AI (which I think I have resolved, but will not be sure of until we can get a larger testing pool). We're also cleaning up some of the rough edges on the Empire of the Hand and Pentastar Alignment, such as the lack of tactical upgrades.

Part of this plan has included a smaller focus on adding new content than we have in previous versions, as this makes us more able to be confident that we're not introcuding new issues and allowing us to put the full focus on polish. This does not, however, mean you will not have new toys to play with.

Units
One of the main additions is the highly requested heavy Empire of the Hand defense platform which has actually been in production since before 2.0 released, but had some significant delays for reasons I won't go into. This is the Visvia, a kilometer long platform with several small weapons emplacements, but also four gigantic tracking turrets which have an extremely low rate of fire, but which collectively deal damage on the scale of an Imperial hypervelocity cannon.

In addition to this, there are some other gaps in the unit list which we're addressing, mainly for the Empire of the Hand and the Pentastar Alignment. The Empire of the Hand will receive at least one new ship, and the Pentastar Alignment will be receiving several with different requirements to build them, to compensate for their lack of interaction with the era system (considering that canonically they were re-incorporated into the Empire after era 2). These ships include the Lucrehulk, the Recusant, and a few other Imperial ships. For the Empire of the Hand, they'll be receiving at least one frigate to fill the gap between the Chaf and the Kariek, which means the Kariek will be dropped to its intended power level. We're also finishing the redesign process we started with the Phalanx in 2010 by redesigning the Vigilance and Massias. We understand that some people grow attached to the old designs, even if just for familiarity reasons. Slevered addressed the need to redesign these ships, specifically with reference to the Vigilance but outlining the team's general feeling on the issue by saying:

Quote from: Slevered
There are actually multiple reasons why the vigilance needed a design change. Although the unit had some interesting design elements, it did not complement the other ships in the same faction. Two key design elements caused this dissonance to occur. The first problem was the engine design. Although it does convey a fierce aesthetic, it does not match any design element in EOTH. The second problem is the structure of a singular hull plating with only standalone "theme park" elements that pass on the top tiers of the hull. This design decision caused an awkward focal point at the only extruding parts of the design.

The updated model not only matches the core design elements of EOTH, but also uses the old Vigilance as an inspiration behind the personal design requirements I set out when I drew and modeled the ship. I enjoyed the fierce engine but there needed to be a more balanced composition and silhouette.

The design of the ship will also bleed over into gameplay when selecting units (even though this is a tiny ship, the principle still stands) and designing iconography for ships.

Galactic Conquest
We're also adding two new galactic conquest scenarios. The first of these is a 103 planet era-progressive GC (like the Art of War campaigns) called Imperial Civil War. This is more in keeping with the 1.3 version of Art of War which had more planets than the 2.0 one because it focused on fewer factions. This GC includes the known galaxy, which means the playable factions are the Pentastar Alignment, Imperial Remnant and the New Republic. Essentially it's the Art of War without the Empire oif the Hand which people have been asking for.

The second of these two GC's is a new version of From the Ground Up, the single planet start GC, which includes the Pentastar Alignment, which was added after that original GC in 2.0. This one we're still working out the details on.

Survival Mode
The biggest addition to 2.1 is Survival Mode. In this you fight of waves of enemyt units with limited credits and ship production. You can see a more in depth presentation of it, as well as the first few waves of the New Republic version in this video:
Click Here to Watch

That's all for now. Hopefully it gives a better or at least more collected idea of the overall plan we have for 2.1. We'll be going into more specifics with each of these in future news posts. If you want to track specific changes made so far, there's a thread for it here.

We're accepting beta tester applications here.

-The Thrawn's Revenge Team-

Follow us on Facebook.
Watch us on Mod Database.
Join the discussion on our forums.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 12:10:47 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 07, 2013, 12:33:53 AMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Civil War: 7 Years of Galactic Conflict
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:33:53 AM »
Galactic Conquest
We're also adding two new galactic conquest scenarios. The first of these is a 103 planet era-progressive GC (like the Art of War campaigns) called Imperial Civil War. This is more in keeping with the 1.3 version of Art of War which had more planets than the 2.0 one because it focused on fewer factions. This GC includes the known galaxy, which means the playable factions are the Pentastar Alignment, Imperial Remnant and the New Republic. Essentially it's the Art of War without the Empire oif the Hand which people have been asking for.

This alone makes it worthwhile.  Being able to do the AoW without the EoTH slaughtering you...
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 08:54:47 AM by tlmiller »
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 07, 2013, 12:58:11 AMReply #2

Offline Meyer

• Grand Moff
  • Approval: +69/-2
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 12:58:11 AM »
Still hard to believe it has been seven years. Congratulations to the team.

Nice update, good to see that the Visvia is finally making an appearance. I also like the new Vigilance. Nothing wrong with the old design but this one does really fit better with the other models you have updated.

Haven't played EAW for a while but when this comes out I bet it will be my #1 game again.
I reject your canon and substitute my own!

June 07, 2013, 07:02:24 AMReply #3

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 07:02:24 AM »
Yeah, 7 years of learning things the hard way. I believe you in particular were there since the first month, back when the Empire of the Hand was a "mystery faction," we intended to do all three major releases and none of us could model or skin to save our lives.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 07:07:32 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 08, 2013, 07:25:58 AMReply #4

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »
Some of us still can't model or skin to save our lives! :P

It's amazing that we're still going after so long. Admittedly I've only been here for six years (according to the forums I joined February January 2007), but so much has changed and so much actually achieved in that time. :)

And since we're officially keeping the Thrawn's Revenge name I've fixed the Facebook page so you can get to it via www.facebook.com/thrawnsrevenge rather than the longer and far more unwieldy www.facebook.com/pages/Thrawns-Revenge/20781119569 (though that url still works too).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 07:29:48 AM by Slornie »
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 09, 2013, 03:05:54 AMReply #5

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 03:05:54 AM »
This dedication is why my flag remains loyally in the TR camp.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 09, 2013, 08:53:25 PMReply #6

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 08:53:25 PM »
Thanks for the update. Very much looking forward to 2.1.
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

June 17, 2013, 09:55:33 AMReply #7

Offline arios

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
7 years wooo
corey is thrawn in secret shh :) i am a chiss

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!