Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Wanting some tips  (Read 7205 times)

April 25, 2013, 05:03:57 PM

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
Wanting some tips
« on: April 25, 2013, 05:03:57 PM »
Heyo!

I'm just now getting into Rebellion and I wanted to know what everyone's favorite race is to play and any tips/tricks they have for it (or the game in general).

For myself (if anyone is at all interested) I really dig the Vasari, being able to make an enemies planet a phase stabilizer is lovely and the hit and run feel in general is pretty fun.
How do I even

April 25, 2013, 05:34:29 PMReply #1

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Wanting some tips
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 05:34:29 PM »
Read this.
This should have everything you need to know for a newbie.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=116451419

May 06, 2013, 07:22:28 PMReply #2

Offline Sith of Steel

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 07:22:28 PM »
If you're playing Vasari in Rebellion, you're in for a treat.  The Vasari Loyalists can turn their capital ships into money makers and tech labs, and the Vasari Rebels get phase-jumping starbases and diplomatic boosts.

I'm not sure I have a favorite faction although, like the person in the Steam post, I enjoy Advent Rebels quite a bit.

May 06, 2013, 08:58:50 PMReply #3

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
I LOVED the Vasari, I had a personal love for the rebels, but the loyalists were exciting as well. I did like the Advent as well, but I definitely have to get use to all the culture manipulation. Since this post I have been playing with a few different mods. I am not a fan of SOGE but I enjoy Sins of Angels (Star Trek) as well as Maelstrom (added in a few new races, but kept the old ones)
How do I even

May 07, 2013, 12:49:40 AMReply #4

Offline Sith of Steel

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:49:40 AM »
Advent Loyalists are easier to get used to, their culture abilities are all about enhancing the culture mechanic from the first game.

You didn't like SOGE?  I found it's a bit difficult to get used to, but now I enjoy the different mechanics.

May 07, 2013, 01:34:18 AMReply #5

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 01:34:18 AM »
I think I'll have to try the Loyalists then. Yeah, it seemed like they just threw everything they could into it (I'm not a huge fan) though I just tried requiem and I dislike that even more (to rough around the edges). Though since I liked the Maelstrom mod so much I might be short handing SOGE a bit.
How do I even

May 07, 2013, 07:27:16 AMReply #6

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 07:27:16 AM »
Malestrom is really fun. To this date it's the only mod I like that has retained base Sins' ship mechanics, the tech and planets portion of the mod is top notch.

May 07, 2013, 05:27:02 PMReply #7

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:27:02 PM »
Malestrom is really fun. To this date it's the only mod I like that has retained base Sins' ship mechanics, the tech and planets portion of the mod is top notch.

It sure as hell retained the crashing feature that Mods for Sins seem to love.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

May 07, 2013, 05:58:49 PMReply #8

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
I (thankfully) haven't experienced any crashes, though I stick to games with at max 6 factions
How do I even

May 08, 2013, 01:23:28 AMReply #9

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 01:23:28 AM »
It sure as hell retained the crashing feature that Mods for Sins seem to love.
That's a problem with Windows and it's asinine 2GB RAM limit rather than Sins... Run Sins through WINE and notice that suddenly you will experience little or no random crashes. That being said, Maelstrom isn't the worst offender in this category that I've seen, though it certainly isn't the best either. Can't say I've experienced the joy of this feature with Maelstrom personally.

May 08, 2013, 05:02:21 AMReply #10

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 05:02:21 AM »
That's a problem with Windows and it's asinine 2GB RAM limit rather than Sins... Run Sins through WINE and notice that suddenly you will experience little or no random crashes. That being said, Maelstrom isn't the worst offender in this category that I've seen, though it certainly isn't the best either. Can't say I've experienced the joy of this feature with Maelstrom personally.

No, that's a Developer problem.

The fact that no Mod I've played actually tries to assume that their Playerbase won't run it through WINE and instead, launch it normally through the game is easily the worst thing any Mod can do. It really is, because not all Fans want to commit two hours to just installing the mod simply because they don't have the proper reading comprehension to understand complicated installs.

And really, this isn't hard for the Dev.. If someone who is modding just takes the time to look at whats going on in Sins, you can easily reduce the amount of memory the game takes up in Vanilla alone.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 04:34:04 PM by Kalo »

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

May 08, 2013, 11:31:40 AMReply #11

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 11:31:40 AM »
I agree that it's a dev issue entirely, which is exactly why more mods plan to go with the modular racial route, and most already use DDS textures versus TGA, to reduce the RAM footprints. Was saying for mods that have not reduced their footprint and one is sick of it, the convoluted WINE is an option.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!