Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: How to edit game files for small adjustments and enhancements.  (Read 4615 times)

April 03, 2013, 01:45:34 AM

Offline black_jack69

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
Okay I first picked up this game in 2006 and Corruption in 2007, but then the discs were destroyed and I later picked up the Steam version, so I am asking about the Steam version.

I would like to find the game files so I can modify the game directly myself. Namely I would like to adjust accuracy, firing speed, range, etc for various land and space units. I would also like the Z-95 Headhunter Squadrons buildable for the Rebels, and the Venator Cruiser buildable for the Empire during Galactic Conquest mode. I can't find the XML files anywhere to be able to perform these tasks. (I know the Venator is somewhere in the code because it is directly referenced in the game itself.)

However there is something additional I would like to do that I think is beyond tweaking the files. I would like to give the Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, and Home One, hangar bays with limited air support. To me it makes sense that these two units be equipped with air support with them, because in every other story they have hangars.

This is for the original Empire At War, not Forces of Corruption. I posed this same question on Steam but the community told me to come here.

EDIT: I would also like to raise the population caps in space battles to 60.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:48:16 AM by black_jack69 »

April 03, 2013, 03:00:34 AMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: How to edit game files for small adjustments and enhancements.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2013, 03:00:34 AM »

I would like to find the game files so I can modify the game directly myself. Namely I would like to adjust accuracy, firing speed, range, etc for various land and space units. I would also like the Z-95 Headhunter Squadrons buildable for the Rebels, and the Venator Cruiser buildable for the Empire during Galactic Conquest mode. I can't find the XML files anywhere to be able to perform these tasks. (I know the Venator is somewhere in the code because it is directly referenced in the game itself.)

You'll either need to use a meg extractor (http://www.petrolution.net/item-223) to pull them out of config.meg, or you can install the map editor. Either way you'd be best of creating a new mods folder for it. The stuff you're asking about covers a pretty wide range of files, so you'd be best off just looking around and seeing how it all works. The Z-95 stuff is, if I recall correctly, disabled by story scripting, but I haven't looked at the base game's coding for so long it may just be how they set the tech level.

However there is something additional I would like to do that I think is beyond tweaking the files. I would like to give the Mon Calamari Star Cruiser, and Home One, hangar bays with limited air support. To me it makes sense that these two units be equipped with air support with them, because in every other story they have hangars.

It's not. Just look up how other hangars are coded, copy it, paste it, remove the model dummies (so nothing extra gets attached) and just use the "root" bone as the attachment bone, then add it to the hardpoints line in the ship's coding and add the data for the fighter spawns.

Also:

I just posted a thread over there regarding my question. I don't think I'll be getting a response any time soon. Their boards are dead.
The only dead parts of our boards are the ones directly related to EaW. This site is for our mods, so nobody here tends to spend much time talking about the original game.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!