Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: So far...  (Read 72432 times)

December 20, 2012, 08:40:04 PM

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
So far...
« on: December 20, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
Gotta admit, the vanilla game is fun, but WOW, are most of the ships boring looking.

I'll be glad when the mod is ready.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

December 21, 2012, 07:00:37 PMReply #1

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: So far...
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
Hm, I also can't wait to get my hands on Ascendancy
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

December 21, 2012, 09:43:43 PMReply #2

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
There are other mods worth looking into while you wait.
Just saying.

December 21, 2012, 10:12:30 PMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 10:12:30 PM »
I've been trying out Sins of a Galactic Empire...I'm slightly less than impressed with it so far.  I spent all this time to build an allegiance SSD, and as soon as it was built "WE'VE LOST OUR TITAN" and shows a display that a "dark fleet" arrived at my planet.  So...you put in the ability to build SSD's but you can't actually build SSD's.  Stupid...
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

December 21, 2012, 11:30:07 PMReply #4

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 11:30:07 PM »
Gotta say, overall, I LOVE this game.  I can get it to work in WINE on linux.  Runs great in WINE, too.

December 22, 2012, 11:29:43 AMReply #5

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 11:29:43 AM »
I've been trying out Sins of a Galactic Empire...I'm slightly less than impressed with it so far.  I spent all this time to build an allegiance SSD, and as soon as it was built "WE'VE LOST OUR TITAN" and shows a display that a "dark fleet" arrived at my planet.  So...you put in the ability to build SSD's but you can't actually build SSD's.  Stupid...
I believe they just had a hotfix concerning the Titan spawning bug on moddb.

December 22, 2012, 11:54:27 AMReply #6

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 11:54:27 AM »
Wait it's out?

December 22, 2012, 12:32:30 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 12:32:30 PM »
No, not ascendency.  I'm talking about the Sins of a Galactic Empire mod for Rebellion.  I found that I'm not a fan of...well, MOST of the models in the stock game, so I had to get my Star Wars fix until Ascendency is released, so I downloaded the SOAGE and Requiem (haven't tried Requiem yet).

I believe they just had a hotfix concerning the Titan spawning bug on moddb.

I've got the hotfix, I was reading through the comments and it's a known bug.  Supposedly if you make sure to have enough slots you can avoid it, but I had sufficient slots and still happened...but it's supposed to be fixed in the next full release that's out by the new year, so I'll give it another chance then.

December 22, 2012, 08:51:13 PMReply #8

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »
So, played the Requiem mod today.  For 2 mods that are based on the same game, with the same basic idea of the mod (Star Wars), they feel about as different as can be.  Requiem is VERY slow and methodical, with most of the base game still intact so you have a MAX of 16 capital ships.  And if you build your titan (Executor/Viscount), then it's 15 because it takes 2 command slots.  Also, it has the worst Executor ever.  Actually weaker shields and hull than an ISD-II, and has only 2 fighter squads with it.  I ended up scuttling it and building multiple ISD-II & Venators to replace it.

Comparatively, SOAGE maxes your commmand slots at 999, so it's very focused on capital ships as the primary weapon, instead of a rare, powerful weapon.

Overall, while I have full confidence that Ascendency will be superior, if you need a SW fix and tired of the freeze on ICW, either of these mods will give you what you need.

December 23, 2012, 10:45:51 AMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 10:45:51 AM »
I might have to try this then

December 23, 2012, 01:22:41 PMReply #10

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 01:22:41 PM »
The more I play, the more I like Requiem and the less I like SOAGE.  Just a poorly done mod overall.  Hopefully the next version will be a bit more complete, but has just tons of issues.

1 problem is that it does allow you to build so many caps, it gets impossible to win/lose.  Played for 4 hours straight, the CIS even sent titans (Subjugator I believe it was) at my planet, everything they sent I destroyed with no losses because I had a chokepoint planet that was heavily defended and also had repair facilities for my own ships.  But then, I couldn't move forward either because the next planet was too heavily defended with fighters/bombers, so we simply sat there trading meaningless blows.  They destroy a couple ISD-II's and Tectors, then I destroy a dozen Lucrehulks and...Providence, I think.  Because of the way income works, it was a total impasse that would never have ended.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 04:52:25 PM by tlmiller »

December 23, 2012, 09:02:25 PMReply #11

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 09:02:25 PM »
Duly noted

December 23, 2012, 09:46:10 PMReply #12

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 09:46:10 PM »
The more I play, the more I like Requiem and the less I like SOAGE.  Just a poorly done mod overall.  Hopefully the next version will be a bit more complete, but has just tons of issues.

1 problem is that it does allow you to build so many caps, it gets impossible to win/lose.  Played for 4 hours straight, the CIS even sent titans (Subjugator I believe it was) at my planet, everything they sent I destroyed with no losses because I had a chokepoint planet that was heavily defended and also had repair facilities for my own ships.  But then, I couldn't move forward either because the next planet was too heavily defended with fighters/bombers, so we simply sat there trading meaningless blows.  They destroy a couple ISD-II's and Tectors, then I destroy a dozen Lucrehulks and...Providence, I think.  Because of the way income works, it was a total impasse that would never have ended.
Usually in Vanilla if you were to face that situation you would bring out superweapons like the Novalith cannon and etc to break stalemates against AI at least.

Vasari have a superweapon that allows them to just jump to any planet of their choice to bypass all defences. SOAGE doesn't give you that sort of option I believe.

December 23, 2012, 11:21:50 PMReply #13

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 11:21:50 PM »
No, as the empire you have the galaxy gun that can only target planets.  Totally useless weapon in the game if you ask me.

I've been testing further with in Requiem, and the titan is HORRIBLY broken.  You can do some research to get the hull/shields more powerful, but for all it's supposed power, it has many of the same problems as the ICW Executor.  It seems to only use it's missiles to attack anything unless you manually tell it to move to attack, and then it will only use them until it can move out of range.  It refuses to stay in turbolaser range.  You'd think considering this mod was around we before Rebellion they'd have fixed this by now...but whatever.  Still a fun game, just don't use the TEC.  I attacked one of their starbases with my titan and 12 ISD-II's (strongest cap for the Empire in the game, no Tector in Requiem), and managed to take down the shields and 1/2 the hull before all 12 ISD's were destroyed, the Executor went shortly thereafter.

Honestely for the way that mod is done, it desperately needs the Sovereign/Eclipse to have any chance if you play a game with the vanilla forces.

December 24, 2012, 07:21:21 PMReply #14

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 07:21:21 PM »
No, as the empire you have the galaxy gun that can only target planets.  Totally useless weapon in the game if you ask me.

I've been testing further with in Requiem, and the titan is HORRIBLY broken.  You can do some research to get the hull/shields more powerful, but for all it's supposed power, it has many of the same problems as the ICW Executor.  It seems to only use it's missiles to attack anything unless you manually tell it to move to attack, and then it will only use them until it can move out of range.  It refuses to stay in turbolaser range.  You'd think considering this mod was around we before Rebellion they'd have fixed this by now...but whatever.  Still a fun game, just don't use the TEC.  I attacked one of their starbases with my titan and 12 ISD-II's (strongest cap for the Empire in the game, no Tector in Requiem), and managed to take down the shields and 1/2 the hull before all 12 ISD's were destroyed, the Executor went shortly thereafter.

Honestely for the way that mod is done, it desperately needs the Sovereign/Eclipse to have any chance if you play a game with the vanilla forces.
TEC Starbases have always been some of the toughest to crack with capital ships at least especially with repair bays behind it + the fact that it can self destruct for like 10,000 damage (unmitigated at least).

Using capital ships to assualt any starbase is ill advised and should be left to large bomber groups instead since SBs don't have anti-strikecraft weapons. If you arn't then send in a large support frigate fleet to draw away fire and for much greater DPS.

Requiem is balanced so that frigates/cruisers are your main damage dealers like the original races. Capital ships are mostly ability casters in Vanilla and Requiem.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:23:17 PM by Rovert10 »

December 24, 2012, 08:10:11 PMReply #15

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 08:10:11 PM »
I used Frigates and bombers to attack 1 of the earlier bases, and yeah, they eventually took it down, but it took 10 minutes of waiting.  IMO, that's a broken game if it takes 10 minutes of setting and watching the game.

Also, on a canonicity note, not at all how the Empire should be designed.  Empire was a capital ship first, capital ship second,  capital ship third mind frame.

December 24, 2012, 11:42:46 PMReply #16

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2012, 11:42:46 PM »
They were pretty battleship oriented.

December 25, 2012, 12:00:04 AMReply #17

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2012, 12:00:04 AM »
Very.  Overly so, but that's part of what makes it fun to play as them.  Lots of big, destructive ships.

December 25, 2012, 04:28:03 PMReply #18

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »
Well to be fair they did make the TIE Defenders which were in my opinion the best all around Starfighter in the galaxy.

December 25, 2012, 05:03:44 PMReply #19

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2012, 05:03:44 PM »
And the Tie Avenger, my favorite fighter.

I tried playing the vanilla SOASE:  Rebellion again today.  I really don't see how people can play this game.  Absolutely terrible game.  I must be honest, it's one of the absolute worst games I've ever played.  Takes 5 hours to colonize a second planet unless you crank up the speed to 8x, and then everything happens so fast that you can't control anything.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!