Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Ascendancy General Information Thread (And Ask the Makers Anything 2.0)  (Read 89828 times)

April 13, 2014, 09:59:30 PMReply #80

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
Understood lol. Thanks

Also, we actually play Sins, which is a lot more than we can say for EaW.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

May 04, 2014, 11:05:12 PMReply #81

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
Not sure how this works or if the team is interested, but I play the Armada III mod and in their new hotfix they included a 'Large address aware tool' that they say allows for more than 2gb of memory to be utilized
How do I even

May 04, 2014, 11:28:29 PMReply #82

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Already had a thread on it :P
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 05, 2014, 12:51:05 AMReply #83

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
Great to see that I pay a attention. hah
How do I even

June 06, 2014, 10:20:19 PMReply #84

Offline sithlordthena

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Have you guys ever thought about making a mod that extends into the Yuuzhan Vong war, or even later? That would be totally rad.

June 08, 2014, 05:54:49 PMReply #85

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
That's certainly an idea.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 09, 2014, 12:41:30 AMReply #86

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
That's certainly an idea.

Dif Scaur should have responded to that.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

July 27, 2014, 03:33:41 AMReply #87

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
A question that popped into my head and I haven't found addressed elsewhere: are you guys keeping the artifact and planetary exploration systems, and if so, any info you care to drop on how you're incorporating them?

July 27, 2014, 05:16:09 PMReply #88

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Since at the moment we're focusing on factions more than the galaxy itself, this isn't something we've done too much on, however (like random events) it is something we plan to use going forward. Artifacts, like planetary bonuses, will ideally be used to add in some more canon elements of the galaxy

July 27, 2014, 07:56:43 PMReply #89

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Sounds good.  Wouldn't mind finding a Holocron or two in my conquests. ;)

July 27, 2015, 12:32:01 PMReply #90

Offline jordanthejq12

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-1
  • RIP, Expanded Universe. You will be missed.
    • View Profile
Could you use the hero system from Star Trek Armada 3/Enhanced 4X to give the factions heroes? I find it rather curious that one of the most ingenious means of implementing named characters into Sins has gone virtually unmentioned here.
"Show the same loyalty you have in the past, Mandalore. If there is a Mandalorian crusade, let it be for something that will carry your people's memory into the future, so when the time comes when there are no more Mandalorians, than at least their honor will remain."
--Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

July 27, 2015, 01:16:44 PMReply #91

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
It has been mentioned. I tend to find that when heroes get implemented they pretty much direct all gameplay around themselves ala in EaW and Battlefront 2, which is not what we want. More than anything they encourage grouping your entire fleet around them, which is counterproductive in a game where we are trying to make it so that making one massive fleet isn't always the best option. We have said we may do it, in which case they will be an option and, unlike in other mods, they will only be usable once. We already have the system (and option) implemented with the Galaxy Gun.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 01:21:43 PM by Corey »

July 27, 2015, 02:58:58 PMReply #92

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
I have to say I was underwhelmed with the heroes in Armada III.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 27, 2015, 06:04:16 PMReply #93

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
I have to say I was underwhelmed with the heroes in Armada III.

How so?  I found them quite useful, with overall good abilities and being stronger versions of the normal ships, though they do encourage the usual Sins single fleet blob with their AoE bonuses.  They even warp out instead of exploding, a nice touch to explain why you can call them back in.

July 27, 2015, 07:41:40 PMReply #94

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
Not sure, I just found I didn't like them.  Just didn't seem to do enough to make them worth the expenditure compared to an ordinary ship of the line of the same class (for Nebula/Sovereign).  The Defiant was the only one IMO that was, since ordinary defiants got blown up like so much tissue paper.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 27, 2015, 07:48:32 PMReply #95

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Not worth the expenditure?  Once you do the research, they're free, aside from taking up a cap slot, and I found their abilities more than justified them - Voyager's armor and holofleet make it one of the best tanks in the game, for example. *shrugs* Not trying to argue with you here or say you're wrong, I'm just failing to understand where you're coming from.  ???

July 28, 2015, 12:14:26 AMReply #96

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
Eh, it might come down to that I found the game just horribly broken in general.  Just a lot of stuff was done in what to my opinion were dumb ways.  I REALLY wanted to play a Star Trek mod, but neither one that is out there is in my ecperience playable if you want a balanced, fun game.  I keep redownloading it hoping it doesn't suck anymore, but I keep getting dissappointed.

July 28, 2015, 12:31:13 AMReply #97

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Fair enough.

August 23, 2015, 12:46:25 PMReply #98

Offline Kuikka

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
I'm asking about buildable defenses and their roles in this game. Due to the maps not having own star systems (maybe related to the SW style) I have found buildable defenses extremely weak against any form of (AI) attack. The planetary weapons are failry effective, but when you have 6-10 routes to your planets it's impossible to hold your ground or advance against AI.

AI sends massive frigate fleets against my defenses, usually in a way that when I move my fleet to defend it also attacks elsewhere (or another enemy AI, dunno if AI manages diplomacy but it surely can be an a-hole :D). AI spamming small ships is one problem, and relates to this defense issue. It's good to see nasty AI, but...

The main issue is that fully upgraded  Golans and Starbase(s, ally's one) melt in a minute when enemy comes. There's no time to gather my fleet when the orbital defense is lost so quickly. In a sense it's pointless to even use resources for those since planets on full health and tech shield upgrades can endure longer, or long enough until my fleet arrives.

Huge amount of small ships can destroy orbital defenses and larger capital ships so fast it's quite sad honestly. I have read about the issues modders have when it comes to AI fleet management, and I might recall devs saying that 1.0 version has better AI fleet management unless I mix this mod to another one, but costly defenses versus their extremely low enduranse is a problem.

Some might say that "you can't just fortify every planet, AI cant survive that" and they are right. But there's a sweet spot between "OP hedgehog defense" and "useless". I just hope fully upgraded defenses would earn their upkeep, so to speak.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 12:50:26 PM by Kuikka »

August 23, 2015, 03:36:52 PMReply #99

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
In my experience, fully upgraded defenses hold just fine, at least when compared to base Sins defenses.  The trick to Ascendancy is to avoid just using one giant fleet - instead, have a handful of ships serve as garrison forces above planets you're worried will be attacked.  A planet with Golan 3s, repair yards, a starbase and a frigate factory can hold out for a good long while.

Now, will it hold long against a fleet of 100+ ships?  No, probably not.  But then, vanilla Sins defenses don't either.  Honestly, the only defense issue I've got is the lack of fighter defenses - planets should be able to build hangars of a sort.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!