Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Ascendancy General Information Thread (And Ask the Makers Anything 2.0)  (Read 89437 times)

July 01, 2013, 06:51:11 PMReply #60

Offline Crisiss

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-3
  • The weak deserve their fate.
    • View Profile
What are you guys doing about the voices? Will you be taking them from Empire at War and various other SW games or doing them all yourselves? Or are they remaining vanilla SoSER? I don't want an armada of 15 year olds girls commanding my ships. (I'm looking at you, Advent)
"Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead." - Revan

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - Winston Churchill

"Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

"We have drones and satellites and missiles that can pick a mosquito off a target's nose from three thousand miles away. Why do we have these things? Because the military gets an obscene budget every year and they spend it finding the best possible way to kill every living thing they can fit in a blast radius."

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." -General George S. Patton

July 08, 2013, 05:03:16 PMReply #61

Offline markb50k

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +2/-1
    • View Profile
How single-player friendly will this mod be?  Will there be tweaks to computer controlled AI?  Never played SOASE, so not familiar with how the AI is.

Basically, I like the single-player GCs in EaW and want to know if there will be similar in Ascendancy.  Thanks

July 08, 2013, 05:05:36 PMReply #62

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
There's no way to directly mod the AI in Sins. We'll be making the mod compatable with the Sins AI so you can still play single player and it'll be fine, but the focus is on multiplayer and doing whatever makes sense.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 08, 2013, 11:27:54 PMReply #63

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
What are you guys doing about the voices? Will you be taking them from Empire at War and various other SW games or doing them all yourselves? Or are they remaining vanilla SoSER? I don't want an armada of 15 year olds girls commanding my ships. (I'm looking at you, Advent)

I'll do what I can for VOs
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 08, 2013, 11:57:27 PMReply #64

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
I'll do what I can for VOs

That'd be cool, I do love the unique VOs.
How do I even

July 10, 2013, 12:19:49 AMReply #65

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
That'd be cool, I do love the unique VOs.

And I do love doing them. Especially the villains. I think my Jerec, Kaine and Thrawn were first rate if I do say so myself.

July 10, 2013, 04:01:57 PMReply #66

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
And I do love doing them. Especially the villains. I think my Jerec, Kaine and Thrawn were first rate if I do say so myself.

Kaine and Thrawn are good. Jerec sounds OK (not that I could do any better) but that strange scratchy throat clearing sound that he makes sometimes when clicked on is kinda weird.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

July 10, 2013, 04:07:25 PMReply #67

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Pls no
    • View Profile

They are quite fun though the Jerec scream tends to catch me off guard and I also really enjoy the Karrade, Bel Iblis, and Pellaeon VOs

Also, random question, I was curious if there is any chance that the New Republic would be have the ability to function "planetless" and remain alive if they have a capital ship, while it represents them better pre battle of Endor I'd think it'd be a fun addition to be able to wander everywhere and having no place to really defend. Along with that would it be possible for planets to have "rebellions" against the IR forces (just a smaller pirate fleet that pops up in IR space or whatnot) and the NR player could have vision of the rebellious fleet and they could move in and help the attackers and either control the planet or just be able to build resource asteroids there?

*Sorry if that wasn't overly cohesive*
How do I even

July 12, 2013, 04:41:04 PMReply #68

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
Another question popped into mind; will there be any campaigns where you control the planets and resources the respective faction had at one point in time or will it all be a Sins style start with one planet and build?
How do I even

July 12, 2013, 05:19:55 PMReply #69

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
We're likely to attempt some stuff like that, but it's not a priority for first release.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 13, 2013, 12:56:16 AMReply #70

Offline Crisiss

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-3
  • The weak deserve their fate.
    • View Profile
We're likely to attempt some stuff like that, but it's not a priority for first release.
I'm assuming it will be something along the lines of Factions>Maps>Particles and such> extra factions > anything else that comes along?
"Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead." - Revan

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - Winston Churchill

"Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

"We have drones and satellites and missiles that can pick a mosquito off a target's nose from three thousand miles away. Why do we have these things? Because the military gets an obscene budget every year and they spend it finding the best possible way to kill every living thing they can fit in a blast radius."

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." -General George S. Patton

July 13, 2013, 03:11:04 AMReply #71

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
Kaine and Thrawn are good. Jerec sounds OK (not that I could do any better) but that strange scratchy throat clearing sound that he makes sometimes when clicked on is kinda weird.

I tried to copy Jerec's original Voice actor as much as possible(Bring up Dark Forces II cutscenes, he makes all those weird noises lol) Should have recorded more specific VOs though for situations so he wouldn't only have like 3

July 13, 2013, 12:01:06 PMReply #72

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
It doesn't matter how many you had recorded, we could only use so many. The mod was already 4.5 gigs, and sound files add up very quickly. That can significantly impact already-long load times and general performance. Also, they don't compress at all (since the filetypes are already centered around compression) which means every megabyte of sound is one megabyte that needs to be downloaded/uploaded.

July 13, 2013, 02:34:57 PMReply #73

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
It doesn't matter how many you had recorded, we could only use so many. The mod was already 4.5 gigs, and sound files add up very quickly. That can significantly impact already-long load times and general performance. Also, they don't compress at all (since the filetypes are already centered around compression) which means every megabyte of sound is one megabyte that needs to be downloaded/uploaded.

Oh right, I remember you mentioning something to that effect now

March 23, 2014, 09:10:25 PMReply #74

Offline Waffle Wagon

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
    • View Profile
So, how are you guys intending to implement the Kuat Shipyards? Will they be functional, or just eye candy?

March 23, 2014, 09:18:00 PMReply #75

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Neither. Planets are essentially instances of a type in Sins, not entities unto themselves, so Kuat is technically just another temperate planet; doing it any other way would mean a bunch of planets need to get their own unique type, which would have pretty serious functionality implications. As far as functionality goes, we can't really say that some planets can build certain types of shipyards while others can't.

April 12, 2014, 07:25:26 PMReply #76

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
It's worth mentioning that Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is 75% off on Steam currently (9.99 USD for base game and 9.97 USD for DLC).
How do I even

April 12, 2014, 08:32:57 PMReply #77

Offline Darman

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • The Sarlacc found me somewhat indigestible.
    • View Profile
I'm a BIG fan for FoC.   But never heard of SoSE before joining this forum. How do yall like it and how would you compare it to FoC? If you all like it I may consider buying it..
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery"
-Thomas Jefferson

April 12, 2014, 09:54:33 PMReply #78

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
We like it, or else we wouldn't have started another mod for it.

April 12, 2014, 09:56:25 PMReply #79

Offline Darman

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • The Sarlacc found me somewhat indigestible.
    • View Profile
Understood lol. Thanks
"I prefer dangerous freedom to peaceful slavery"
-Thomas Jefferson

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!