Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Star Wars Galaxies: A bots perspective  (Read 2784 times)

July 03, 2007, 12:51:19 PM

Offline Zeron

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-11
  • The Galaxy Abhors The Lack Of Faith
    • View Profile
Star Wars Galaxies: A bots perspective
« on: July 03, 2007, 12:51:19 PM »
The Automated Online Role-Player
It's indistinguishable from live humans!
By Dave "Fargo" Kosak | August 22, 2003

Sure, I love Star Wars Galaxies, the massively multiplayer RPG. I've written about it on several occasions. But I'm past that point where I can dedicate my life to a single game. I'm a very important businessman who does very important business with very important people at very important social engagements, such as watching softcore anime with the dudes in the apartment across from mine.

But, I still want to keep playing. And I want to WIN. I know, I know, the hardcore among you are saying, "But Fargo, you can't 'win' an online RPG. That defeats the purpose." To which I respond: I LIVE to defeat purposes.

And besides, like it or not, people do try to "win" massively multiplayer RPGs. The rules of engagement are something like this:
* If there is a status bar, make it grow bigger
* If there is a number, make it higher
* If it moves, either get a mission from it or kill it
Which got me to thinking: What if I were to unload the boring parts of an MMOG off to someone else? For instance, I love running a business in Star Wars Galaxies, but it's hard to find the time or the patience to work on my combat skillz. What if someone ELSE played that part of the game for me?

My first impulse -- to use a room full of small Korean children -- turned out to be a real nightmare. They kept whining and crying and pointing to their mouths or empty bellies. Who knows what they wanted? I don't speak Korean. Similarly, they didn't understand me when I pointed to the computer monitor and said "Lewt! LEWT!" no matter how loud I shouted it. Clearly I needed a new plan.

Introducing the Autocamp 2000

And so I turned my attention toward robots! Longtime readers may remember when I subtly and successfully used a robot to write my column while I camped in a mall waiting for Diablo II to come out. A similar process could easily play online games for me. After all, I minored in computer science at a prestigious Liberal Arts institution. The hardest part of any project such as this is figuring out the algorithm, but here it is, in its entirety:

The Autocamp 2000 Plays Online RPGs with the following rules:

1. Join any group that invites you
2. When in a group, follow behind the leader
3. Attack any monster you see
4. Accept all trade requests from other players, then give them a melon
Well, that takes care of 90% of online play. All I would need to do is stick my character -- Farglik the Mon Calamari -- in a cantina with a backpack full of melons (ah, sweet delicious fruit!). When I checked on him a week later he'd be what they call "

July 04, 2007, 01:32:11 PMReply #1

Offline Kratas

• Chat Members
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +19/-38
  • "If my face looked like a squid, I'd be angry, too
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars Galaxies: A bots perspective
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 01:32:11 PM »
wow thats a long converstation i think galaxies is alright but im not willing to pay for it

July 04, 2007, 07:10:58 PMReply #2

Offline Commander Thire

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 07:10:58 PM »
That was hilarious! I quite literally fell to the ground laughing. :laugh:
My goal in life is to live forever or die trying.

"To be is to do."-Plato
"To do is to be."-Socrates
"Do be do be do."-Sinatra

July 04, 2007, 07:34:23 PMReply #3

Offline Tyrant

• Warlord
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-7
  • Yub 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 07:34:23 PM »
That's pretty funny. I want a melon....
In umbris potestas est- In the shadows, there is power

that's like saying it makes sense to evaluate my chances of getting laid by Natalie Portman- Nezill

July 05, 2007, 05:12:32 AMReply #4

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 05:12:32 AM »
Thats a novel way of playing SWG :P  Its a shame it didnt have more varied responses to different player communications.  But i agree with Tyrant, i want a melon :P
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!