Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: New Order mod  (Read 8603 times)

September 12, 2012, 09:09:11 PM

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
New Order mod
« on: September 12, 2012, 09:09:11 PM »
hey, im working on a mod based in the clone wars/old republic eras. i needs help!!

September 12, 2012, 11:41:15 PMReply #1

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: New Order mod
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 11:41:15 PM »
Well, I can't code, mod, or design, but I can research anything you need to know about ships or any other units, freeing you up to do other things.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

September 13, 2012, 05:59:18 PMReply #2

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
Well, I can't code, mod, or design, but I can research anything you need to know about ships or any other units, freeing you up to do other things.

well, i do need to know the stats of the sith empire ships

September 14, 2012, 03:18:10 PMReply #3

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
Sith Empire? What exactly is the time period that this mod will cover in BBY?
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

September 14, 2012, 09:27:44 PMReply #4

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 09:27:44 PM »
the time revan was around

September 15, 2012, 12:49:18 AMReply #5

Offline Rissien

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 12:49:18 AM »
Thats not anywhere near the clone wars.

September 15, 2012, 01:10:01 AMReply #6

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2012, 01:10:01 AM »
i know, i am going to have about 4 playable factions [Old Republic, Sith Empire] [Republic, Trade Federation] and 2 different GCs for them. i am also gonna try to put some mission-like things in too.

September 15, 2012, 09:38:13 PMReply #7

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 09:38:13 PM »

Thanks for saying this for me.

i know, i am going to have about 4 playable factions [Old Republic, Sith Empire] [Republic, Trade Federation] and 2 different GCs for them. i am also gonna try to put some mission-like things in too.

OK, cool, so you need data for Sith Empire Armadas? If so, I can do it.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

September 15, 2012, 10:41:53 PMReply #8

melbournelad

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 10:41:53 PM »

Not trying to stop you from trying, but do you even know how to code "mission-like things" and where are you going to find enough models for 4 completely different factions?

September 16, 2012, 12:13:52 AMReply #9

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 12:13:52 AM »
Not trying to stop you from trying, but do you even know how to code "mission-like things" and where are you going to find enough models for 4 completely different factions?

i have my methods, and i hope to get actual help

September 16, 2012, 01:33:10 AMReply #10

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 01:33:10 AM »
i have my methods, and i hope to get actual help

Alright guys. I'm here to tell you just exactly what this means. So, lets open up the box and see what's inside. Also, I might stray off topic a little.

1 . He's going to take a slew of content from other mods, code it in with a lot of bugs because it's a lot of work for one person, AND he's completely new to modding in every, single, field. And it'll somehow make his mod different from all the other ones. (And not in a good way!)

2 . He thinks that ANOTHER Clone Wars mod is what the Internet needs. With the massive influx of young kids who just only recently found out about Star Wars via that awful cartoon I can 100% assure you that's not what the world needs.

Here's a tidbit from Corey about Modding as well.

Quote from: Corey
Quite often people start mods expecting some sort of help to just appear because they've decided to make the mod, and youve sort of expressed this yourself, but unless you get really really lucky, that's not the case. You have to be willing to put in the work to do it yourself, without any help, and if you aren't then you shouldn't be making the mod in the first place. Ask yourself what incentive other more experienced modders have to join your mod if they don't see anything coming out of it. If you have nothing substantial to show, what makes these people want to join your project rather than something farther along or where they wouldn't have to do the majority of the work? There's already many, many established teams that work on this era, and with more to show for it. So until you're able to produce something by yourself, there's no reason to join your team for anyone else. I know for the members of TR, we've been doing this for a while, and if we were looking for new projects to join we'd be looking for somebody who had something to show for it. Quite honestly with a post like that, what we come in and see is "well here's something I'd have to carry". More importantly, in your position as mod leader, you're in general going go be held responsible for a lot of the work anyways, and you're the only person you can know will be there for the duration. In TR, a lot of us come and go and even though most of the team today has been here for years, some joined with the founding, I've been the only one constantly on the team, and this basically has to be true of any kind of project somebody wants to put together; you can't rely too much any any specific person to be there, and if they aren't you either have to accept that the project or certain aspects of it aren't feasible, or you need to pick up the slack yourself.

Just as an example! We have the following Clone Wars mods that exist in EaW alone.

Republic at War (And the best, I might add. Z3r0x is leagues ahead of the other CW mods.)
Thrawns Revenge : Fall of the Republic (So glad we didn't do this.)
Return of the Clones
Archives of the Old Republic
Star Wars : Clone Wars Sub-Mod
Star Wars : Clone Wars
Star Wars Clone Wars to Galactic Civil War
Ultimate Empire At War
Star Wars Battlefront : A RTS Mod.
Dark Times
Star Wars the Clone Wars : Story of Skywalker
Rise of the Empire
Just Another Clone Wars Mod (I'm not fucking kidding.)

The list doesn't end here. But do you see a recurring theme here?  The majority of these mods are exactly the same.

BUT...BUT KALO. THEY'RE MADE BY DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND THEY HAVE DIFFERENT FEATURES AND....

No. Stop that kind of reasoning. These mods? I'm willing to bet money that like 75% of them all use the exact same models, probably the exact same code, and they all have one massive flaw. They don't know what they're doing! They don't know what good gameplay mechanics are, and most importantly? They don't actually know how to take this kind of fucking criticism correctly.

It's like Call of Duty : Star Wars in this community because of it. It's the same rehashed and washed up content that I thought was cool at one point until every little one decided "Lets use this in my totally unique and awesome mod."

"But Kalo, what kind of Mod should I make then?" I doubt any of you are asking this. But simply put? Don't. You need to actually educate yourself before you commit yourself to a project of almost any scope for any game. The Thrawns Revenge Team was more or less a group of people stumbling through an obstacle course for six years ass first.

You also need to play a plethora of games so you really really understand what makes a good game. You need to understand the difference between (Those who play League will have heard this before.) Fun and Anti-Fun. Simply put, Anti-Fun is generally something that's incredibly powerful and easy to use. Hell, even TR suffers from bad gameplay mechanics. Even with the last versions where we've done so much to refine the steam pile that was 1.0, we're still suffering from bad gameplay. Keep in mind, I love Thrawns Revenge. But one does not get better by loving everything they make. Also, the Regicide feature we spoke of is us trying to remove the bad gameplay that comes with our Tech Progression that really only exists for the Empire.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2012, 11:50:10 PM by Kalo »

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

September 17, 2012, 05:57:25 PMReply #11

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:57:25 PM »

Alright guys. I'm here to tell you just exactly what this means. So, lets open up the box and see what's inside. Also, I might stray off topic a little.

1 . He's going to take a slew of content from other mods, code it in with a lot of bugs because it's a lot of work for one person, AND he's completely new to modding in every, single, field. And it'll somehow make his mod different from all the other ones. (And not in a good way!)

2 . He thinks that ANOTHER Clone Wars mod is what the Internet needs. With the massive influx of young kids who just only recently found out about Star Wars via that awful cartoon I can 100% assure you that's not what the world needs.

Here's a tidbit from Corey about Modding as well.

Just as an example! We have the following Clone Wars mods that exist in EaW alone.

Republic at War (And the best, I might add. Z3r0x is leagues ahead of the other CW mods.)
Thrawns Revenge : Fall of the Republic (So glad we didn't do this.)
Return of the Clones
Archives of the Old Republic
Star Wars : Clone Wars Sub-Mod
Star Wars : Clone Wars
Star Wars Clone Wars to Galactic Civil War
Ultimate Empire At War
Star Wars Battlefront : A RTS Mod.
Dark Times
Star Wars the Clone Wars : Story of Skywalker
Rise of the Empire
Just Another Clone Wars Mod (I'm not fucking kidding.)

The list doesn't end here. But do you see a recurring theme here?  The majority of these mods are exactly the same.

BUT...BUT KALO. THEY'RE MADE BY DIFFERENT PEOPLE AND THEY HAVE DIFFERENT FEATURES AND....

No. Stop that kind of reasoning. These mods? I'm willing to bet money that like 75% of them all use the exact same models, probably the exact same code, and they all have one massive flaw. They don't know what they're doing! They don't know what good gameplay mechanics are, and most importantly? They don't actually know how to take this kind of fucking criticism correctly.

It's like Call of Duty : Star Wars in this community because of it. It's the same rehashed and washed up content that I thought was cool at one point until every little one decided "Lets use this in my totally unique and awesome mod."

"But Kalo, what kind of Mod should I make then?" I doubt any of you are asking this. But simply put? Don't. You need to actually educate yourself before you commit yourself to a project of almost any scope for any game. The Thrawns Revenge Team was more or less a group of people stumbling through an obstacle course for six years ass first.

You also need to play a plethora of games so you really really understand what makes a good game. You need to understand the difference between (Those who play League will have heard this before.) Fun and Anti-Fun. Simply put, Anti-Fun is generally something that's incredibly powerful and easy to use. Hell, even TR suffers from bad gameplay mechanics. Even with the last versions where we've done so much to refine the steam pile that was 1.0, we're still suffering from bad gameplay. Keep in mind, I love Thrawns Revenge. But one does not get better by loving everything they make. Also, the Regicide feature we spoke of is us trying to remove the bad gameplay that comes with our Tech Progression that really only exists for the Empire.

first off, i do not steal models from other mods, and i know this will take a long time.
second, i do not expect to do this all on my own
and third, im dropping the clone wars from the mod

July 15, 2013, 06:28:34 PMReply #12

Offline Tiel

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 06:28:34 PM »
They don't know what they're doing! They don't know what good gameplay mechanics are...

Good gameplay mechanics is not putting every unit on speed.

July 16, 2013, 04:20:23 PMReply #13

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2013, 04:20:23 PM »
...What?
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 16, 2013, 06:49:32 PMReply #14

Offline jordanthejq12

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-1
  • RIP, Expanded Universe. You will be missed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2013, 06:49:32 PM »
Seriously, if you want a good Clone Wars experience, just play RAW. Republic at War and Thrawn's Revenge are the two mods EVERY PLAYER should have.
"Show the same loyalty you have in the past, Mandalore. If there is a Mandalorian crusade, let it be for something that will carry your people's memory into the future, so when the time comes when there are no more Mandalorians, than at least their honor will remain."
--Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

July 16, 2013, 06:54:01 PMReply #15

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2013, 06:54:01 PM »
Why even revive this thread?
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!