Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: General Performance Advice  (Read 3322 times)

August 26, 2012, 09:10:46 PM

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
General Performance Advice
« on: August 26, 2012, 09:10:46 PM »
2.0 is turning out to be a really great mod, as expected.  A new thing for me, at least, that didn't happen in 1.3 is a slow space battle close to pop cap.  Any hints on what setting to scale back for those of us wishing to enjoy full scale battles?  I don't think it's a hardware issue...

Intel i5 2.8 GHz
8G Ram
Win 7 64
Nvidia GTX 570

Sorry if this existed in the old tech support forum.  They all seem to be gone.
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

August 26, 2012, 09:49:27 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: General Performance Advice
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 09:49:27 PM »
What's your current detail level and frame rate? A good place to start is usually shadows, they're the most taxing.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 27, 2012, 05:46:19 PMReply #2

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 05:46:19 PM »
What's your current detail level and frame rate? A good place to start is usually shadows, they're the most taxing.

I fixed it.  Thanks for the response.  Here's what I did to fix it for anyone interested:

I removed the anti aliasing completely and still have all details and effects set at their highest value.  Fortunately, this didn't affect the visual appeal at all, and I'm getting over 30-40 fps even in large land/space battles.  I didn't think my graphics card was the culprit!

So there you go.
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

August 27, 2012, 06:04:12 PMReply #3

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +33/-11
  • Did I mention GROUNDBREAKING?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 06:04:12 PM »
I was actually quite surprised when you said your GFX card had problems with the mod considering the model. But then again some cards just don't like older games. I know my card absolutely hates the lighting effects in EAW/FOC.

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

August 27, 2012, 06:54:20 PMReply #4

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:54:20 PM »
I was actually quite surprised when you said your GFX card had problems with the mod considering the model. But then again some cards just don't like older games. I know my card absolutely hates the lighting effects in EAW/FOC.

I wasn't expecting that either.  I completely thought it was the CPU and the large amount of units.  Considering how well this card performs... not my first guess.  Hopefully this tidbit helps others with performance issues as well.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!