Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: 2.0 Preview: The Katana Fleet  (Read 10375 times)

August 14, 2012, 02:31:50 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
2.0 Preview: The Katana Fleet
« on: August 14, 2012, 02:31:50 PM »
2.0 Preview: The Katana Fleet

Corey playing through the last bit of the Katana mission as the Imperial Remnant, as well as discussing release and the future of the mod.

Mission design and execution by Corey (XML) and Smallpox (LUA Script/XML)

For anyone wondering, the final tally for the number of times I said basically is around 24.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:45:26 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 14, 2012, 03:14:44 PMReply #1

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
Re: 2.0 Preview: The Katana Fleet
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 03:14:44 PM »
awesome! i cant wait to do it myself  :)

August 14, 2012, 04:05:28 PMReply #2

Offline bisszy4ever

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • Keep the Peace
    • View Profile
    • 501st Legion Mod DB
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 04:05:28 PM »
I love the gameplay thanks again Corey and will you do more :) :)?????
The 501st Never Run!!

A Member of the Imperial Alignment (Formerly the Postastar Alignment)

Allies of the Shadow Post Empire

August 14, 2012, 04:36:34 PMReply #3

Buckeye

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 04:36:34 PM »
Sweeeeettttt!

August 14, 2012, 04:51:24 PMReply #4

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 04:51:24 PM »
That's, basically, just basically awesome.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

August 14, 2012, 06:04:00 PMReply #5

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 06:04:00 PM »
lol baaaassssiiiicccallly(inside joke, I had a history teacher who did that ALL the time)
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

August 14, 2012, 09:28:13 PMReply #6

Offline TheShinHado

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • I've calculated the possibilites.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 09:28:13 PM »
Very nice. Can't wait for 2.0

August 14, 2012, 09:35:28 PMReply #7

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 09:35:28 PM »
Great video Corey. Cool to see you figured out how to make the captured Katanas count for something in the GC. This of course, brings back up the question: can capturing enemy ships be a viable option? Even if a boarding vessel isn't a good gameplay idea (could overpowered, etc), perhaps more missions to capture ships from enemy shipyards could be cool (Razor's Kiss anyone?).

In addition, maybe hitting certain worlds with capital shipyards could open up this possibility. Something along the lines of, say, a just completed ISD or MCC in one of those orbital yards on Kuat or MCC space maps. If you can fight past defenders, you could board those empty vessels, use them in the fight, and keep them. This could be done in place of or to enhance the capture bonuses currently given.
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

August 14, 2012, 09:59:19 PMReply #8

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 09:59:19 PM »
Pox will probably have to correct me on a few things here, but there's still significant issues attached to boarding in general, both technical and balance-wise. The fact that these Katanas are neutral beforehand as opposed to an enemy ship, are all the same object, and are always the same object (meaning it's not sometimes Katanas, sometimes Mon Cals, etc) are pretty important though I think it could be gotten around in tedious ways. When Pox and I discussed it as far as technical possibilities for boarding enemy ships in a regular battle, I think what we decided is that it's likely possible to do it in one ship per battle (there are *very* limited ways to pass variables between tactical and GC), leaving aside all the balance issues that would need solving which have been covered in other threads.

Specific missions like the one you mentioned with Razor's Kiss could easily be done like this, however implementing a capture-the-prop type thing like this in regular gameplay would be way too easily exploitable. Start the battle, capture the ships, back out, repeat.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 14, 2012, 10:51:12 PMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
Specific missions like the one you mentioned with Razor's Kiss could easily be done like this, however implementing a capture-the-prop type thing like this in regular gameplay would be way too easily exploitable. Start the battle, capture the ships, back out, repeat.

Oh yes, a mission in HfZ to capture the Razor's Kiss from Kuat...I shall prepare my Zsinj voice just in case!

August 15, 2012, 07:58:21 AMReply #10

Offline Pox

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 07:58:21 AM »
Pox will probably have to correct me on a few things here, but there's still significant issues attached to boarding in general, both technical and balance-wise. The fact that these Katanas are neutral beforehand as opposed to an enemy ship, are all the same object, and are always the same object (meaning it's not sometimes Katanas, sometimes Mon Cals, etc) are pretty important though I think it could be gotten around in tedious ways. When Pox and I discussed it as far as technical possibilities for boarding enemy ships in a regular battle, I think what we decided is that it's likely possible to do it in one ship per battle (there are *very* limited ways to pass variables between tactical and GC), leaving aside all the balance issues that would need solving which have been covered in other threads.

It's just as Corey said, as long as there's only one or two ship types you can capture it's all fine, but if they're supposed to stay after battle we have to create a variable for each capturable ship type. Now just have a look at the TR unit list and you'll know it's just too much work for a feature like this.  Moreover, I suspect that the freezing bug will occur way faster if this was implemented.

August 15, 2012, 08:13:24 AMReply #11

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 08:13:24 AM »

You're right, that might be a bit too exploitable. I didn't think of that.

It's just as Corey said, as long as there's only one or two ship types you can capture it's all fine, but if they're supposed to stay after battle we have to create a variable for each capturable ship type. Now just have a look at the TR unit list and you'll know it's just too much work for a feature like this.  Moreover, I suspect that the freezing bug will occur way faster if this was implemented.

Thanks for the clarification. Always appreciate the communications guys. Looking forward to seeing more of this feature in missions then.
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

August 16, 2012, 01:32:36 AMReply #12

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2012, 01:32:36 AM »
I'd love it to be mission specific like Thrawn capturing ships at Sluis van(as in Heir to the Empire) Zsinj hijacking Razors Kiss and such.

August 16, 2012, 03:01:19 PMReply #13

Offline Willhelm

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »
I'd love it to be mission specific like Thrawn capturing ships at Sluis van(as in Heir to the Empire) Zsinj hijacking Razors Kiss and such.

Remember suggesting this, is a mission like this is the mod?

August 16, 2012, 03:20:03 PMReply #14

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »
I don't think so...yet. Not sure if there will be but I think parts were considered.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!