Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: 1.3 General Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 46832 times)

May 03, 2012, 01:14:05 PMReply #80

Offline Thrashia

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-2
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3 General Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2012, 01:14:05 PM »
Also, penegrin, a lot of the ships were modeled on previous ships, like the Nebulon B frigate seems to have been the base upon which they modeled the Dreadnought cruiser.

@Senza: I would never auto-resolve any space battle if I were you.
"You may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, but the Empire will always strike back." - Gilad Pellaeon

C'baoth: "You doubt the power of the Force, Grand Admiral Thrawn?"
Thrawn: "Not at all. I merely present the problems you and the Force will have to solve if you continue with this course of action."

May 03, 2012, 01:33:50 PMReply #81

Offline Zeron

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-11
  • The Galaxy Abhors The Lack Of Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2012, 01:33:50 PM »
The AI is apparently being fixed in  2.0 so it doesn't send half a dozen microfleets at you, and ground battles are being rebalanced.

On the subject of autoresolve, I think I may know what one of the big problems is. It seems to me that the Carrack cruiser has way more autoresolve power than it should. Frequently when I autoresolve when the enemy sends like, 1 carrack against my multiple capital ships, golan IIIs, and ion cannons, I end up losing a capital ship or two.

Unfortunately, this is a fundamental flaw in the way Auto-Resolve works and not something we can fix. Autoresolve power and such is only used to determine who wins or loses. Ship losses are then calculated completely at random, with the winner having a slightly better chance at not losing ships than the loser. Your losses in autoresolve have absolutely nothing to do with how big your or your enemies fleet is, that only matters in determining if you win or lose the battle. You can change the ratios, but you can never create an accurate battle based on autoresolve.

Well, at least that's how much we've uncovered so far. It's not exactly well documented, and most of the systems behind autoresolve are known only to Petroglyph.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:44:18 PM by Zeron »

May 03, 2012, 01:45:25 PMReply #82

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »
- can you limit the amount of free units you get per factory?
We've already said we're reworking ground, including garrisons.

- is it possible that ships stay damaged after a battle and either need time (and a SY) or money to repair? I think I saw once a hero's ship (Lusankya??) which was still damaged from an earlier battle
Nope.

- is it possible to start with less units? I feel like the IR is really powerfull in every GC so maybe it's psosible that playing on 'hard' not only makes the enemy tougher but also gives you less ships
Galactic Conquests have already been reworked to have fewer units at the start, but we can't change it based on difficulty level. There isn't a difference between how much you start with on easy, medium or hard.

- is it possible to get a GC where you controll just one or 2 planets from start? It'd be nice to build your own Empire from scratch :)
This has already been done, and discussed here.

I do suggest reading through a few other topics before posting, it will give you a much better idea of what's alrerady been done for 2.0. It really is a huge change.

Also, penegrin, a lot of the ships were modeled on previous ships, like the Nebulon B frigate seems to have been the base upon which they modeled the Dreadnought cruiser.
What exactly do you mean by modeled on? If you mean the actual models, then no. If you mean the code, then yes. It'd be pointless to go through and completely rewrite the code when every unit has essentially the same parameters, and when very few of the lines actually matter. I don't see why it's relevant to anything.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:59:58 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 03, 2012, 02:04:57 PMReply #83

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2012, 02:04:57 PM »

@Senza: I would never auto-resolve any space battle if I were you.

I try not to, but sometimes I get so tired of them throwing crap at me that has literally no possible chance of defeating my fleet even if I gave no orders at all to my units, I autoresolve. Often times it works out but sometimes it does not.

May 03, 2012, 05:40:03 PMReply #84

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2012, 05:40:03 PM »
I try not to, but sometimes I get so tired of them throwing crap at me that has literally no possible chance of defeating my fleet even if I gave no orders at all to my units, I autoresolve. Often times it works out but sometimes it does not.

I know what you mean, but honestly, by that point replacing a corvette or a frigate, or even a Capital ship doesn't hurt that much. Just think of auto-resolve as entrusting one of your dumber admirals to manage the battle. Maybe he decides to send one of your frigates all by its lonesome against a shipyard and its Golans to get blown up. You can make yourself feel better by imagining he was on that frigate and couldn't reach an escape pod in time...
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

May 03, 2012, 05:50:07 PMReply #85

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
I know what you mean, but honestly, by that point replacing a corvette or a frigate, or even a Capital ship doesn't hurt that much. Just think of auto-resolve as entrusting one of your dumber admirals to manage the battle. Maybe he decides to send one of your frigates all by its lonesome against a shipyard and its Golans to get blown up. You can make yourself feel better by imagining he was on that frigate and couldn't reach an escape pod in time...

Lol...

May 03, 2012, 06:33:44 PMReply #86

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2012, 06:33:44 PM »
Well, when we did the rebalancing we recalculated all of the autoresolve and AI combat values for the ships, as well as made some tweaks to the AI adjustments (I wasn't being redundant there, tweaks to the adjustments are a real thing), and it seems to have made the autoresolve a little less weird than in 1.3, and I haven't had any problems with the single ship fleet spam. You still get the occaisional single attack like that, but it doesn't seem to get caught in a loop like it used to. On the other hand, I've been attacked more often by much larger fleets, so individual battles seem to happen slightly less, but when they do they're far more decisive.

I don't want to say any of this is a huge improvement and has solved those issues 100% for sure, because I did that with the Fleet Commanders and they decided to come back, but at this point I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic about it.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 03, 2012, 07:24:54 PMReply #87

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
I haven't had any problems with the single ship fleet spam. You still get the occaisional single attack like that, but it doesn't seem to get caught in a loop like it used to. On the other hand, I've been attacked more often by much larger fleets, so individual battles seem to happen slightly less, but when they do they're far more decisive.

That's great to hear, glad to know you guys are working on that weird low level attack issue...
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

May 03, 2012, 07:41:00 PMReply #88

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2012, 07:41:00 PM »
I tend to start autoresolving once it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to win, at that point I just want to end it.

But yeah, I do have a tendency to lose more in the final dozen battles that I autoresolve than I do in the...say 60 before that.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 04, 2012, 08:06:22 PMReply #89

Offline sebastian74

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2012, 08:06:22 PM »
I was playing Art of war light as the New republic yesterday.
And I was quite impressed with the AI. It attacked Wayland with Isard, 3 super star destroyers and about 5 more ships.

I thought it was really 'clever', it was the first time I experienced the AI showing up with all 4 ssd's. ( I hadn't played art of war light in 1.3.1 yet )
The defense fleet consisted of 5 MC80B's and 4 dreadnaughts plus some fighters so for a moment it had me worried.
That's what I like the best about this mod.

May 09, 2012, 03:19:30 PMReply #90

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but when you order the New Republic infantry to take cover, one of them crouches and the others start running in place!! :o
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 09, 2012, 08:59:46 PMReply #91

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 09, 2012, 08:59:46 PM »
Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but when you order the New Republic infantry to take cover, one of them crouches and the others start running in place!! :o

But of course they do, exercise is important in the NR.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 12, 2012, 09:30:35 PMReply #92

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2012, 09:30:35 PM »
I just noticed something else weird. When you destroy a building (i.e. a barracks) that belongs to the warlords, and the garrison troops come running out, any warlord units will attack and kill them. I'm not really sure why, but am guessing that it has something to do with the fact that the warlord buildings are the same as the IR buildings, just labelled differently.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 12, 2012, 09:57:15 PMReply #93

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 12, 2012, 09:57:15 PM »
Yeah, were aware of that issue. It's being rectified for 2.0.

May 13, 2012, 07:29:29 PMReply #94

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2012, 07:29:29 PM »
I just noticed something else weird. When you destroy a building (i.e. a barracks) that belongs to the warlords, and the garrison troops come running out, any warlord units will attack and kill them. I'm not really sure why, but am guessing that it has something to do with the fact that the warlord buildings are the same as the IR buildings, just labelled differently.

Well wouldn't YOU switch sides if you had a choice when your side is losing?
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 20, 2012, 09:30:40 PMReply #95

Offline Zsinj

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 20, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »
It has to do with the Watlords using Imperial Buildings and the explosion survivors are set to being aligned to the Empire.
"No, I never really would have asked you to kiss him."―Han Solo, to Chewbacca

May 22, 2012, 07:08:58 PMReply #96

Offline Lord_jacob

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 22, 2012, 07:08:58 PM »
i personally think this the best Star Wars Foc mod out there. its also the best maintained. but it would be nice to have 2 or 3 new eras. like maybe the Yuushan Vong war. also, it would be nice if Bakura had Bakura-Class Destroyers as a bonus for owning it.

June 18, 2012, 01:47:09 AMReply #97

Offline subame

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2012, 01:47:09 AM »
any idea why the NR a.i spams gallafrees so much? i killed 43 of the things in under an hour
"There are too few idealists in this universe,-"Thrawn

June 18, 2012, 07:48:51 AMReply #98

Offline Zsinj

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2012, 07:48:51 AM »
They are part of a potential invasion of a Planet so the Ai puts them there while they make more.
"No, I never really would have asked you to kiss him."―Han Solo, to Chewbacca

June 18, 2012, 03:54:59 PMReply #99

Offline subame

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »
it was in skirmish, it was weird, i havent seen em spam one unit like that that often, did the same thing with the jedi.
"There are too few idealists in this universe,-"Thrawn

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!