Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: 1.3 General Review and Feedback Thread  (Read 46559 times)

February 21, 2012, 07:02:47 PMReply #40

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
Re: 1.3 General Review and Feedback Thread
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 07:02:47 PM »
Yes that's not true at all, about the hypervelocity guns. Having two halves the recharge time. It does the same damage. Sometimes it appears that it does more damage but that's a matter of aiming and the maneuverability/speed of the ship you targeted. If you target a ship and it begins to turn, sometimes the gun can miss or just barely hit, doing less damage than if it hit the target dead center.
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

February 21, 2012, 08:43:28 PMReply #41

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 08:43:28 PM »
Perhaps you are right. I always build two myself so I never compared recharge times with only one before.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

February 22, 2012, 08:55:56 AMReply #42

Offline Darth Stalin

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2012, 08:55:56 AM »
OK, thanks, guys - now I know what to do on my "first line of defence" of my Imperial Remnant frontier with EotH :D - build additional HvGs on my planets  :police:
Though they've already done their jobs pretty well - Voss Parck, Dagon Niriz and Stent are gone; the remainig EotH renegades are Thraw and Siath...

And also my leading shipyards will receive double defence (as well as additional Golan IIIs) - Byss, Ord Trasi and Kuat; Fondor and Bilbringi perhaps too... (though they're rather not endangered by warlords, yet...).

February 22, 2012, 11:18:14 AMReply #43

Offline sebastian74

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 11:18:14 AM »
I really enjoy playing this mod. ( hardly playing anything else ) Thanks for all the work you have done.

I have played the 1.2 version for about three months. The fleetcommander spam made it  impossible for me to finish most of the GC's.
( only the smaller GC's playing as the new republic didn't freeze  )

But with the new version, there are less fleetcommanders. ( hundreds instead of thousends )
And I am able to avoid the freezing up in galactic view. ( I also play a bit faster )
It still lags a bit. But when the fleetcommanders are gone the game is up to speed again.

So far I have played as the Imperial remant in the first 6 GC's. ( just finished Reunification )
I like the changes compared to 1.2.  ( I have not tried any skirmishes )

But I noticed that in every GC at a certain point the AI kinda 'rolls over and plays dead'.
Somewhere around the fifty fifty point ( the graph in the military power chart shows the lines close together ) the AI doesn't attack any more.
Mayby it has to do with the fleetcommanders.

February 22, 2012, 11:30:09 AMReply #44

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 11:30:09 AM »
Actually I've also noticed that the AI rolls over at a certain point too. But I don't think it has to do with the fleetcommanders.

After you take enough systems, the AI is limited greatly by the galactic population (thus reducing its economic advantage), it loses the ability to build more ships. The AI also seems to like to attack with large numbers of capital ships, which is fine and makes for good battles. However, I suspect that this combination leads to the AI becoming passive in late game situations, as the AI's frigates and other ships that can be built from light and heavy shipyards are still sitting around, taking up galactic pop. Then after you take away a lot of the capital shipyard systems from them, they're left with the option of only building frigates, and in the case of the NR, fighters. The AI seems to then decide that these are underpowered fleets that can't quite go toe to toe with your capital ships, so it neglects to attack.

In my experience, by the time you hit this point, you really do own a colossal advantage anyway. I mean do you really enjoy taking on an NR fleet that has 70 E-Wing squadrons, 20 CR90s, and some Marauders? It might seem funny but at that point, the GC is pretty much over, you've won.
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

February 22, 2012, 11:58:25 AMReply #45

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »
I posted a fix for the Fleet Commanders here: http://gutr.swrebellion.com/forums/index.php/topic,2086.msg32001.html#msg32001

Everything I've had reported has said that it works, there's only been one report of a single fleet commander we need to track down.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 23, 2012, 09:20:15 PMReply #46

Offline sebastian74

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 09:20:15 PM »
I posted a fix for the Fleet Commanders here: http://gutr.swrebellion.com/forums/index.php/topic,2086.msg32001.html#msg32001

Everything I've had reported has said that it works, there's only been one report of a single fleet commander we need to track down.

Thanks! ( I actually read that post, but I didn't see the link. I think I wasn't logged in
Downloaded and tried it.
Played Caamas crisis today. After 150 weeks the AI stopped attacking, and after 200 weeks --> still no fleetcommander.

I'll do some more 'testing' tomorrow, but: so far so good. :)

edit: finished Caamas Crisis, did not see a single fleetcommander.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 08:49:09 AM by sebastian74 »

February 23, 2012, 09:41:00 PMReply #47

Offline sebastian74

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 09:41:00 PM »
Actually I've also noticed that the AI rolls over at a certain point too. But I don't think it has to do with the fleetcommanders.

After you take enough systems, the AI is limited greatly by the galactic population (thus reducing its economic advantage), it loses the ability to build more ships. The AI also seems to like to attack with large numbers of capital ships, which is fine and makes for good battles. However, I suspect that this combination leads to the AI becoming passive in late game situations, as the AI's frigates and other ships that can be built from light and heavy shipyards are still sitting around, taking up galactic pop. Then after you take away a lot of the capital shipyard systems from them, they're left with the option of only building frigates, and in the case of the NR, fighters. The AI seems to then decide that these are underpowered fleets that can't quite go toe to toe with your capital ships, so it neglects to attack.

In my experience, by the time you hit this point, you really do own a colossal advantage anyway. I mean do you really enjoy taking on an NR fleet that has 70 E-Wing squadrons, 20 CR90s, and some Marauders? It might seem funny but at that point, the GC is pretty much over, you've won.

I think you are right, it is not the fleetcommanders.
The vanilla game does the same.

When the AI stops attacking the game is more or less over. The thing that strikes me is that when it still has for example 40% of the planets it attacks like crazy, and then it looses one more planet and it is over. A human player wouldn't quit,  but the AI can probably calculate when it becomes pointless to continue.

In the hunt for Zsinj GC playing as the IR if you capture Kuat right a way, The AI is left without a level 3 space station. And without capital ships it is indeed rather embarrassing to see the NR attacking with all those small ships.

But if you have 40 preybirds you can take on quite some capital ships.

February 24, 2012, 06:43:18 PMReply #48

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2012, 06:43:18 PM »
Perhaps giving the AI the option to honorably surrender to a the player at this stage might be useful.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

February 24, 2012, 06:46:58 PMReply #49

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2012, 06:46:58 PM »
That's not possible. Besides, the point of the game if to be played when the player wants to play it. If we let the AI surrender, what's to say it won't just quit because it wanted to play Checkers on somebody's iPhone instead?
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 26, 2012, 02:36:23 PMReply #50

Offline sebastian74

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 02:36:23 PM »
Playing as the Imperial remnant in the art of war GC I experienced a bit of lag here and there nothing problematic ( no fleetcommanders ) until week 400 something I could not select units anymore.

It happened before with 1.2 ( I think it also happened with the vanilla game ).
I read it has to do with the total number of units in the game that are used/ killed.

The only solution is to try and finish the game quicker?

I do like the big fleets the NR builts! The one on mon calamari was close to a 1000.

February 26, 2012, 02:45:06 PMReply #51

Offline Willhelm

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
personally i don't understand people who like battles that big... they take so longgggggg and really no game is meant to be played for that long... 400 weeks omg..

February 26, 2012, 06:32:54 PMReply #52

Offline sebastian74

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2012, 06:32:54 PM »
personally i don't understand people who like battles that big... they take so longgggggg and really no game is meant to be played for that long... 400 weeks omg..

It was the first time I played art of war. ( the game froze at earlier attempts in 1.2 ) I did 'auto resolve' a lot, and was only playing for one day.
I actually played all GC's last week as the Imperial remnant.  Finished all of them except art of war.

I do tend to 'take my time' playing the GC's. I guess I am a sore loser. Maybe I should consider adjusting my strategy so I can finish the GC within 400 weeks.

February 26, 2012, 07:27:50 PMReply #53

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2012, 07:27:50 PM »
If it's more than a couple dozen planets, I almost always take that long.  I've found that I have to run EVERY fight myself, because against the NR, if they have more than 5 units, I have a tendency to lose 1/2 a fleet even if the fleet were like 3 Executors + 3 Sovereigns.

So I won't really autocalc ever, and it takes a long time to finish off the larger GC's for me.

That and I have a tendency to play for 2 hours, then stop and come back a week later.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

February 26, 2012, 09:18:00 PMReply #54

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
See, I tried to finish faster, and I ran into the bug SOONER, not later, when I played as the Hand. I've never even gotten close to week 300. Farthest I've made it is like week 160 something.

February 27, 2012, 07:38:29 AMReply #55

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 07:38:29 AM »
Well it's based more on what happens than the time spent from most of what we've seen, it's just that the sooner you finish, the less the chance that it'll happen.

February 27, 2012, 05:07:31 PMReply #56

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »
Eh. Oh, I have something that's been bugging me for a while. What's with that ENORMOUS explosion after a hypervelocity cannon burst? I can understand an explosion but that thing is just irritatingly large, is it supposed to be that big or was it a typo in some radius field?

February 27, 2012, 09:01:53 PMReply #57

Offline sebastian74

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 09:01:53 PM »
If it's more than a couple dozen planets, I almost always take that long.  I've found that I have to run EVERY fight myself, because against the NR, if they have more than 5 units, I have a tendency to lose 1/2 a fleet even if the fleet were like 3 Executors + 3 Sovereigns.

So I won't really autocalc ever, and it takes a long time to finish off the larger GC's for me.

That and I have a tendency to play for 2 hours, then stop and come back a week later.

Most of the times a fleet of 10 star destroyers will do a lot of damage to the enemies fleet in auto resolve.
A lot more anyway compared to playing the battle. ( could be poor skills on my side though )

Some NR fleets are really massive. ( 200 or more )  I sent in 10 SD's, autoresolve, repeat a few times, thin out the NR fleet.
When the NR fleet is down to about 50 or less I'll go in and try to finish it.
The star destroyers look great, but they are pretty crap in taking on mon calamari cruisers.

February 27, 2012, 09:30:43 PMReply #58

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2012, 09:30:43 PM »
Most of the times a fleet of 10 star destroyers will do a lot of damage to the enemies fleet in auto resolve.
A lot more anyway compared to playing the battle. ( could be poor skills on my side though )

Some NR fleets are really massive. ( 200 or more )  I sent in 10 SD's, autoresolve, repeat a few times, thin out the NR fleet.
When the NR fleet is down to about 50 or less I'll go in and try to finish it.
The star destroyers look great, but they are pretty crap in taking on mon calamari cruisers.

Its the shields. Their shields regen so much faster than the Star Destroyers and the power to shields there's just no way to get through them without a concerted effort from much of your fleet. I personally think the Mc80b is way too powerful for the fact that it can be built in era 1. Its slim profile makes it more difficult to hit than other cap  ships, its firepower is a little shy of an ISD, and its shields, man, its shields can take a truckload of punishment. Add to that the fact that its got a good fighter complement and decent speed and its basically the only cap ship worth building till you can get Nebulas. I think its damage needs to be maybe a little higher than the MC90, which is basically a worthless ship that can only take damage and nothing else, which, by the way, I think needs to have firepower more on the scale of an MC80b.

February 27, 2012, 10:51:20 PMReply #59

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2012, 10:51:20 PM »
The entire mod has been rebalanced since 1.3 in order to make it more canon, so making balance suggestions at this point isn't really going to get anyone anywhere until we post the finalized stats publically (they're currently available in a mostly-finished state in the Admiral's Lounge), it's essentially talking about a different game.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:54:19 PM by Corey »

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!