Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: RaW/IA2  (Read 5163 times)

October 23, 2010, 12:47:30 PM

Offline TheExile

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-3
    • View Profile
RaW/IA2
« on: October 23, 2010, 12:47:30 PM »
Just in case you guys haven't keeping with this wonder of a mod coming finally in late December (supposedly hopefully), it really is making in progress and once it comes out its going to be one hell of a mod. Its going to total to 2 gb of data, which is quite a bit, I think more than any mod out there to my knowledge and so much work put into details of everything.

Oh and if you don't know, they aren't releasing to separate mods, Z will just release one mod.
If you want more info well, check here http://www.imperialassault.com/rote/forums/index.php?showtopic=7905, here http://everythingeaw.com/showthread.php?t=5552, or here http://www.moddb.com/mods/republic-at-war.

Especially check out the IA 2 or RaW update for Z's post because he goes into detail about what features hes putting into the mod.

If your feeling too lazy well here's a description of his October update.

Well sorry for my forced absence guys and gals. If all goes according to plan this should be the last written update I have to supply for the mods. There may be some final pic updates and I plan on releasing the mods manual soon. I think you will enjoy it. Well exciting things are coming that is for sure. I am sure some of you feel it. Its in the air!!! Well this update is lacking in pics as there is nothing really to show you that you have not seen in previous updates or on ModDB. However there is much to inform, you of. For those of you living under a rock these last many months I have been away on business, not monkey business but real business. I rcently posted many of the mods features on ModDB and I wanted to elaborate on those as well as give some updates on some other areas. Many questions have come in over the last few months I have organized them and will try to answer them as best as I can. Lets move along shall we?

Ok as for the IA2 and RaW I had to think on this long and hard and after much soul searching and some last minute discussions with past staff its been decided that releasing two mods is pointless and only consumes more time. The mod is essentially being changed to "Imperial Assault 2 - Republic at War" Bex and Bryant both has a specific vision of what they wanted IA2 to be and I had a specific vision of what I wanted RaW to be. After a year or so of work on both mods I have been able to successfully merge both of those visions. Bryant and Bex did NOT want tons of non-canon or cartoon units in the mod and I did not want a canon only mod. Some decisions were made and the final release of this mod will be the outcome. I have pulled out some items that were not needed and the mod now has a very nice balance of movie canon and cartoon/tv show/game canon. In essence the only of these "B" cannon units that remain are the ones that fill a void that the movie canon units could not fill. For example there are NO known movie units of a CIS corvette. So we had to go to Non-Canon. The Republic SPHA-T the only movie canon artillery unit we see was too large and did not function the way we needed it to in game. So again we had to go to Non-Canon to fill that gap. IA2's vision was as much as movie canon as possible with "epic battles". I have been able to achieve just that. So there is no need for two mods. Only one mod that is both IA2 and RaW combined into the final result we all wanted. A playable mod. The primary release is going to be what the IA2 fans want. There will be a mini-expansion to follow but that is only to placate the RaW fans that wanted certain things that the IA2 fans did not.

Moving onto units. Every clonewars mod out there uses the same tired old Battledroid models that were free released years ago. We were one of those teams. However keeping with our concept of quality I re-modeled our Battledroid and re-animated them. The quality is 1000x better. I do not want to unveil them yet but you will see them in action soon. Evillejedi stepped up to the plate and assisted the team in re-modeling the Malevolence. Pics are on ModDB and we are very happy with the results.

Now onto features. We wanted to add something extra to the game. We have re-made/re-imagined all the stock upgrades and created some new ones that will add some new exciting play. From special structures that give unique bonuses to new in game combat bonuses we think you will be happy. A feature we have been working on for 2 years are the new Battlefield Structures. In skirmish most of you are familiar with the giant build pads where you could build the Hutt Palace etc (we re-did that also.. you can get some REALLY cool units there now) well we re-did that concept but with a twist. Now you you will gain another pad and be able to build a Field Hospital, Engineer Depot, Forward Command Post, Droid Center, Droid Engineering Depot, or Merc HQ. These buildings provide unique upgrades as well and the availability of VERY unique units. I do not want to go to much detail as unique ideas are rare these days. One model I would like to show you is the CIS version of the turbolaser tower. http://www.everythingeaw.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=3201

Post your thoughts and I will be posting a bit more later today with regards to some other items that I would like to share. Think happy thoughts people wink.gif

October 23, 2010, 04:41:00 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: RaW/IA2
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
Not that it makes any difference whatsoever, but 2 gb is far from being the biggest mod out there.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 23, 2010, 04:46:26 PMReply #2

Offline TheExile

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 04:46:26 PM »
For EAW/FOC? Well I don't remember running to those  1 gb plus mods for foc very often except maybe PR.

October 23, 2010, 07:04:02 PMReply #3

Offline vadereclipse

• Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +28/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 07:04:02 PM »
the largest mod i'm aware of is Awakening of the Rebellion V2, which was around 800 MB compressed. depending on the compression ratio, it could be damn close to 2 gig. same for a lot of mods out there.

October 23, 2010, 07:21:02 PMReply #4

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +33/-11
  • Did I mention GROUNDBREAKING?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 07:21:02 PM »
Large size is not the equivalent of high quality. Now this isn't saying RAW isn't quality work I'm just saying that using size to judge a mod is hardly reasonable. Now if we're going to be talking about size the addition of approx. 100 high resolution planet (plus bump/normal maps) in Patch 1.1 is easily going to cause the TR mod to be over 2 GB in size when decompressed. Speaking of planet textures I'm currently re-doing all of the space GC maps so that each planet will have a unique space map. All of these will be using the new plant textures and some of them the new props and nebulae textures.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:25:46 PM by Enceladus »

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

October 23, 2010, 08:45:53 PMReply #5

Offline TheExile

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 08:45:53 PM »
Well Z has made himself a reputation for being a bit of a perfectionist. For how long this mod has been in production, and from what I've seen of what he done, well lets just say it will trump any Clone wars mod there by far. He's just brought so much innovation its nuts. Almost as much innovation as TR has shown. The detail he has put into every single GC map its unbelievable and how things are played are going to be changed how you play alot on land and space from what I heard.

This is more interesting info.

For starters, i think u guys should put a "Conscript Infantry" or something similar on most planets, except for certain ones like Kamino or Geonosis and so forth, and then give those planets certain speacial unit production facilities, like a droid works or cloning facility and such. Then, give those special facilities some price bonus or something, so that everyone doesn't attack with billions of Conscripts and such.

I also think that u should try to do something similar to that in space too. U could have a "Spaceport" or a "Space Station" that is natural to most planets, and be able to hire random civilians that show up and offer to help. U could then also put a "Shipyard" or such at different planets that are big-time producers, such as Kuat or Corellia, and give those buildings the capability to produce certain things that those world build, like Venators at Kuat and so forth. This would not only make it more canon, but greatly improve the tactical aspect of it: Certain Planets would be more valuble to a certain side, which would influence how a person defends theirself and their territory.

If ur still skeptical about this, u could even have those special production facilties make a certain unit that u could chose, and it wouldn't cost u anything unless u rush it or something.

U could also put a lot of Rep and Sep units on different planets for more encouragement to make it more like the "Clone Wars", like a campaign starting from the end of episode 2 could have a lot of Republic Troops positioned at Either Geonosis or Coruscant, if i remember correctly.

Also, I was wondering if there will be a playable campaign, one that would be streamline to the actual events in this period?

My computer is Glitched up, so i probably won't be playing this game for a while, so i would be able to cope with any extra side effects of adding this in, like an extra 4 months to complete or something.

Thx!

z answers 46mins 38secs ago
I think you will be happy as everything you described is exactly the system I implemented in RaW. It has taken a long time to complete the code to make it all work but it it functions just like you asked for.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 09:15:29 PM by TheExile »

March 19, 2011, 12:11:39 PMReply #6

Offline TheExile

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 12:11:39 PM »
I though you guys would like to know Z is releasing a limited release beta of a sort for 25 people.

z3r0x
z3r0x 14mins 0secs ago says: New Comment

Ok, we are still tweaking AI... (its still a bit too aggressive) the manual is nearing completion. When this is done we will be doing whats called a limited release for feedback purposes and for overall QC, and also to locate and last min bugs etc. I will be choosing about 25 people to have first crack at the mod. If you are interested send me a PM. You will be chosen on location, time of membership here, and some other things. I am trying to get a uniform amount of people to get better feedback. Meaning I dont want all people from the USA. Would like some other countries in there as well.

If you want this there are a few rules.
1. You will not be able to share the mod. If you leak it you will not get a chance to preview the expansion before it comes out or any other mod I do in the future.
2. You must provide feedback, suggestions, and of course any glitches you locate.
3. You will be given access to the bug hosting page and will have to post the bugs so they can be reviewed.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!