Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Last Person to Post Wins  (Read 819764 times)

July 24, 2016, 05:17:10 PMReply #1120

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Last Person to Post Wins
« Reply #1120 on: July 24, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »
I don't care for star trek in general personally.

July 24, 2016, 07:02:35 PMReply #1121

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: July 24, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »
I feel exactly the same.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

July 24, 2016, 08:08:44 PMReply #1122

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: July 24, 2016, 08:08:44 PM »
*shrug* Nothing is for everyone.  DS9 is a bit different from the other Treks in that it was heavily serialized, wasn't as optimistic, and had a much greater emphasis on politics and character development over technobabble and imparting lessons (though both remain present).  It also has arguably some of the best space battles since RotJ. ;)

July 25, 2016, 12:28:03 AMReply #1123

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: July 25, 2016, 12:28:03 AM »
I'm firmly in the "ugly" camp.  The saucer section looks nice, but that secondary hull is some fugly garbage.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 25, 2016, 02:09:03 AMReply #1124

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: July 25, 2016, 02:09:03 AM »
I don't care about Star Trek either. Not even a little bit.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

July 25, 2016, 03:18:40 AMReply #1125

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: July 25, 2016, 03:18:40 AM »
Your loss. ;)

July 25, 2016, 03:51:08 AMReply #1126

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 25, 2016, 03:51:08 AM »
Kadir beneath Mo Moteh.

Edit: All right, I'll explain.  It is from an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation called "Darmok" where the crew encounters a species that communicates by metaphor, by alluding to characters and stories.  "Shaka, when the walls fell" means a failure to do something, "Darmok and Jelad at Tanagra" is two people coming together over a common struggle, "Temba, his arms open" is offering a gift, "The river Temarc in winter" is telling someone to stop what they're doing, and "Kadir beneath Mo Moteh" is a failure to communicate.

This episode was the single most infuriatingly nonsensical episode of television I've ever seen.

I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 25, 2016, 06:05:20 AMReply #1127

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 25, 2016, 06:05:20 AM »
You haven't watched enough television then. ;) I grant that the Tamarian language doesn't really hold up to scrutiny, but that's about the only real flaw in the episode - if you can suspend disbelief and take the language as presented, I think the episode works beautifully as a story of two cultures, through two people, coming to an understanding around a language barrier.  Since Star Trek has the universal translator, the Tamarians simply speaking a different language wouldn't be a problem - they'd need to have an entirely different way of speaking, and if the writers' way of coming up with one isn't perfect but still serves its function in the story, I'll knock a point off the final score but it doesn't tank the episode for me as a whole.

Also, a number of the posts presented in your link are arguing that it really isn't all that out-there a concept. ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 06:14:56 AM by Pali »

July 29, 2016, 12:11:22 AMReply #1128

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 29, 2016, 12:11:22 AM »
I win

July 29, 2016, 12:50:32 AMReply #1129

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 29, 2016, 12:50:32 AM »
You haven't watched enough television then. ;) I grant that the Tamarian language doesn't really hold up to scrutiny, but that's about the only real flaw in the episode - if you can suspend disbelief and take the language as presented, I think the episode works beautifully as a story of two cultures, through two people, coming to an understanding around a language barrier.  Since Star Trek has the universal translator, the Tamarians simply speaking a different language wouldn't be a problem - they'd need to have an entirely different way of speaking, and if the writers' way of coming up with one isn't perfect but still serves its function in the story, I'll knock a point off the final score but it doesn't tank the episode for me as a whole.

Also, a number of the posts presented in your link are arguing that it really isn't all that out-there a concept. ;)

Some of the posts are arguing that, but they're wrong. I was specifically referring to the one top post there. Unless the words in the metaphors mean something literally, they can't actually refer to anything.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 29, 2016, 06:03:18 AMReply #1130

Offline Caesars_Legion

• Tester
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • The Legion shall never stop it's march
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 29, 2016, 06:03:18 AM »
57 pages of this. Wow. That is rather impressive...
"You are, all of you, vermin. Cowering in the dirt, thinking... what, I wonder? That you might escape the coming fire? No. Your world will burn until its surface is but glass! And not even your Demon will live to creep, blackened, from its hole to mar the reflection of our passage; the culmination of our Journey. For your destruction is the will of the gods! And I...I am their instrument!"

The message just repeats. Regret. Regret. Regret.
Catchy, any idea what it means?
Dear Humanity, we regret being Alien bastards, we regret coming to Earth, and we most definitely regret that the corps just blew up our raggedy ass fleet!

July 29, 2016, 06:29:50 AMReply #1131

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 29, 2016, 06:29:50 AM »
To be fair, that's after 7 years.

July 29, 2016, 10:40:21 AMReply #1132

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 29, 2016, 10:40:21 AM »
That this post is still a thing after seven years is both impressive and depressive
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 29, 2016, 02:07:56 PMReply #1133

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 29, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »
7 years and still no winner except for me obviously.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

July 29, 2016, 02:21:05 PMReply #1134

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 29, 2016, 02:21:05 PM »
That this post is still a thing after seven years is both impressive and depressive

I agree with this 100%
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

July 29, 2016, 04:43:55 PMReply #1135

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 29, 2016, 04:43:55 PM »
Some of the posts are arguing that, but they're wrong. I was specifically referring to the one top post there. Unless the words in the metaphors mean something literally, they can't actually refer to anything.

I tend to agree, though I do enjoy the various attempts made to make it make sense.

The Tamarian language is explored further in the short story "Friends with the Sparrows" from the TNG anthology The Sky's the Limit. In the story, it is explained that Tamarians have a fundamentally different brain structure to most humanoids, and as such experience concepts such as time and self differently.

The story explains that Tamarian children learn the stories behind the metaphors, and thus their meanings, through enactment and repetition. Variations of meaning in metaphors were conveyed through subtle vocal and gestural cues that the universal translator had previously missed. In fields such as engineering and programming, a musical language was used to convey precise equations, numbers and instructions; thus explaining how Tamarians could effectively operate starships.

I particularly like this one - essentially, it's arguing that you're right, they don't really use metaphors, but instead "Shaka, when the walls fell" and the like will have a number of possible literal meanings, and which one is determined via context, body language and tone/pitch/etc.

August 03, 2016, 10:37:54 AMReply #1136

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 03, 2016, 10:37:54 AM »
Well trying not to let this thread die (and staying somewhat on theme), went and saw Star Trek Beyond yesterday. It was so much better than Into Dumbness; actually felt like Star Trek instead of generic Sci-fi.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

August 03, 2016, 11:33:09 AMReply #1137

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 03, 2016, 11:33:09 AM »
staying with the theme of movies, I saw the secret life of pets yesterday, it was really funny.

August 03, 2016, 01:29:44 PMReply #1138

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 03, 2016, 01:29:44 PM »
staying with the theme of movies, I saw the secret life of pets yesterday, it was really funny.

I heard it was good. Probably going to see it once it goes to Redbox
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

August 03, 2016, 02:08:55 PMReply #1139

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 03, 2016, 02:08:55 PM »
If I may, Rvanchist, what kind of ship is on your signature?

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!