Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Last Person to Post Wins  (Read 819720 times)

May 21, 2017, 01:41:51 PMReply #2480

Offline HobbesHurlbut

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-4
    • View Profile
Re: Last Person to Post Wins
« Reply #2480 on: May 21, 2017, 01:41:51 PM »
You know, this explain how democracy can become a bad thing without anyone higher up corrupting/dismantling the gears of the system to favor themselves.

So that show Palpatine didn't need to use the Dark Side much to sway the senate so well...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 01:51:48 PM by HobbesHurlbut »

May 21, 2017, 03:15:50 PMReply #2481

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: May 21, 2017, 03:15:50 PM »
I like both honestly, I mean subbed usually has way better voice actors to begin with. However, since the anime industry is actually starting to grow in the US there is more of a higher standard/ talented people becoming VAs. For example the My Hero Academia anime has some incredible voice acting. Plus now the dubbed is releasing along side with the subbed version which is unheard of. So I think as long as anime continues to rise in popularity, then we will start seeing really good dubs.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 24, 2017, 11:09:18 AMReply #2482

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: May 24, 2017, 11:09:18 AM »
The thing is, anime is just so much bigger in japan that voice acting is a viable job career (to an extent with tons of hard work and luck) while in america it's really not an option, it's probably as hard as becoming a sports star. Whenever I listen to a dub out of curiosity, I hear at least one voice that I recognize (usually the one I refer to as young male protagonist #1). The lack of variety really hurts it for me.

May 24, 2017, 04:07:05 PMReply #2483

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: May 24, 2017, 04:07:05 PM »
The thing is, anime is just so much bigger in japan that voice acting is a viable job career (to an extent with tons of hard work and luck) while in america it's really not an option, it's probably as hard as becoming a sports star. Whenever I listen to a dub out of curiosity, I hear at least one voice that I recognize (usually the one I refer to as young male protagonist #1). The lack of variety really hurts it for me.

Anime still has its problems in Japan, tons of people mostly animators are paid below the poverty level in Japan and are usually understaffed and overworked. To the point where there is no one coming into the anime industry which is bad. I assume the same problem goes over to voice acting. There are also tons of Voice Acting jobs over here as well, Voice acting isn't just for Anime.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 25, 2017, 01:32:07 PMReply #2484

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: May 25, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
I think that the number of people willing to do voice acting for anime here is lower though.

May 25, 2017, 02:49:48 PMReply #2485

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: May 25, 2017, 02:49:48 PM »
I think that the number of people willing to do voice acting for anime here is lower though.

True but I imagine that's changing as anime becomes more popular in the US. The only problem is, can the Japanese market keep up with it, I was reading an article that about 80 percent of animators in Japan quit within 3 years, plus there's not a lot of people wanting to go in the business because of bad work conditions.

May 25, 2017, 04:16:39 PMReply #2486

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: May 25, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »
If anime is lucrative enough, the laws of supply and demand will eventually force the companies to pay the illustrators and voice actors what they are worth, if not more. The reason that they can pay them so little is because there are so many of them.

May 25, 2017, 04:19:19 PMReply #2487

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: May 25, 2017, 04:19:19 PM »
If anime is lucrative enough, the laws of supply and demand will eventually force the companies to pay the illustrators and voice actors what they are worth, if not more. The reason that they can pay them so little is because there are so many of them.
Doesn't seem like its going to change like that unless the animators can speak up, if they can't and Japan runs out of animators they'll just go to South Korea. The reason why they pay them so little is not because there are so many of them. There's such a shortage of animators that the new attack on titan season had to be cut in half, and I think they only have a staff of 3ish animators.  Its because they spread the money to Publisher, then merchandisers. Then the animators get the left overs of DVD sales which are starting to go away.

http://goboiano.com/80-of-animators-quit-and-14th-studios-arent-making-money/
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 04:22:34 PM by Mr.Puerto »

May 25, 2017, 05:54:19 PMReply #2488

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: May 25, 2017, 05:54:19 PM »
Sad state of affairs indeed.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 25, 2017, 07:05:59 PMReply #2489

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: May 25, 2017, 07:05:59 PM »
Sad state of affairs indeed.
Yup but I think it'll be fixed eventually.

Anyway moving on just got the Thrawn book (the B and N edition) and a few manga (mangas?)

May 25, 2017, 09:45:47 PMReply #2490

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: May 25, 2017, 09:45:47 PM »
what manga?

May 25, 2017, 10:16:59 PMReply #2491

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: May 25, 2017, 10:16:59 PM »
what manga?

This time around I got Vol 1-3 of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt and a manga I just found at Barnes called gangsta. Barnes has a huge selection of Manga surprisingly.

May 25, 2017, 10:34:34 PMReply #2492

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: May 25, 2017, 10:34:34 PM »
This time around I got Vol 1-3 of Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt and a manga I just found at Barnes called gangsta. Barnes has a huge selection of Manga surprisingly.

They really do. I'm always surprised by that when I go.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 26, 2017, 12:29:59 PMReply #2493

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: May 26, 2017, 12:29:59 PM »
gangsta was a pretty decent anime, so I'd expect it to be a good read.

May 26, 2017, 12:38:07 PMReply #2494

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: May 26, 2017, 12:38:07 PM »
gangsta was a pretty decent anime, so I'd expect it to be a good read.
Wow... never thought that this place will EVER discuss anime...
Sooner or later we should make a table of contents for this thread though. We discussed so much here from the Brexit trough general silliness all the way to "I won haha!"
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 26, 2017, 01:02:17 PMReply #2495

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: May 26, 2017, 01:02:17 PM »
Sooner or later we should make a table of contents for this thread though. We discussed so much here from the Brexit trough general silliness all the way to "I won haha!"

That's not a bad idea.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 26, 2017, 01:05:20 PMReply #2496

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: May 26, 2017, 01:05:20 PM »
looking at all of the things, that sounds like a lot of work.

May 26, 2017, 01:17:16 PMReply #2497

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: May 26, 2017, 01:17:16 PM »
if your doing that, you may want a mini-board and split this thread up into the different parts
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 26, 2017, 04:22:35 PMReply #2498

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: May 26, 2017, 04:22:35 PM »
I never expected to find anime fans on a Star Wars forum haha. But in anycase I feel like spliting up this forum would take a lot of work, there is over what 100 pages of content. It would take several days with someone with a lot of patience to do something like that. 

May 26, 2017, 04:25:16 PMReply #2499

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: May 26, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »
And then it loses the magical charm that is Last Person to Post Wins.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!